By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 sells 6m in Japan

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

It does matter because not to the same extent. 

How it does matter if Japanese devs will/would keep making games regardless how PS4 performs in Japan!?

The Japanese devs that rely primarily on Japanese sales wouldn't all keep making them if ps4 wasn't in Japan. 

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Miyamotoo said:

How it does matter if Japanese devs will/would keep making games regardless how PS4 performs in Japan!?

The Japanese devs that rely primarily on Japanese sales wouldn't all keep making them if ps4 wasn't in Japan. 

Japanese devs that rely primarily on Japanese sales with big games are in huge minoroty.

Nautilus said:
DonFerrari said:

So you want PS4 to become a hybrid just to win over another hybrid over in Japan? I guess they will be pleased with 10M in Japan if they can do 130M WW.

While we are at it then Wii was very bad since PS2 sold 160M WW.

Not at all!Im not saying that the PS4 needs to become a hybrid.Quite the contrary, it found great suceess being what it is worldwide.But that dosent change the fact that the PS4 numbers on Japan are nothing special.But Im pretty sure Kaz is not losing its sleep over it, considering how the PS4 is absolutely destroying everything outside of Japan

So it is doing great for a console in Japan, thanks, wasn't hard.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Disagree, again, doesn't really matter beacuse Japanese devs will/would keep making games regardless how PS4 performs in Japan.

Games that only sell well in Japan depend of the console doing good over there to have a version.

And since when a minority is irrelevant? If that minority adds to the bottomline it's important.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

Japanese devs that rely primarily on Japanese sales with big games are in huge minoroty.

They still matter which is my original point. 

Around the Network

And who said Sony doesn't care about Japan? MHW is about to make it more interesting

Pocky Lover Boy! 

DonFerrari said:
Nautilus said:

Not at all!Im not saying that the PS4 needs to become a hybrid.Quite the contrary, it found great suceess being what it is worldwide.But that dosent change the fact that the PS4 numbers on Japan are nothing special.But Im pretty sure Kaz is not losing its sleep over it, considering how the PS4 is absolutely destroying everything outside of Japan

So it is doing great for a console in Japan, thanks, wasn't hard.

It seems that you either dont fully master english, or you simply cant read that well.Anyways, if you have further questions, just read my previous posts.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Jranation said:
And who said Sony doesn't care about Japan? MHW is about to make it more interesting

A few people were pushing the idea that Sony doesn't care about Japan a few weeks back. It's an absolutely ludicrous idea. Sony most certainly care. It brings them good revenue from hardware, software both retail and digital along with ps plus money. 

I can only imagine what will happen when Granblue Fantasy Project Re: Link gets released.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Kerotan said:
Nautilus said:
Congrats to PS4, but thats not something to be really proud of.Yes, the home console market has shrunk alot there, and yes it might pass the PS3(so LT sales at around 10 millions) but its still somewhat low to what other sustem are doing in that country, and more importantly, what the PS4 is doing worldwide.

The PS4 is going in the right direction to try to improve the situation managing to get titles like MH in the system, but honestly Sony needs to think of a better strategy to win over their home country back.

Let's take a look at other home consoles from its generation. Xb1 88k and WiiU 3m.

Yeah it's doing pretty superb by current market standards for traditional home consoles. Considering how much more profitable ps4 is compared to ps3 especially when you consider ps plus subs, Sony must be delighted with Japan this gen compared to last. 

That isn't exactly steep competition. I'm with folk who say this is nothing to be proud of. It's doing only 2x better than the worse selling home console since the Dreamcast. Not much of a milestone.

I also do not understand at all where the expectation comes from that MHW is going to be this killer app in Japan. Do people not understand the nature behind the success of MH over there in the first place, or the purpose behind MHW specifically?

It's not meant to sell PS4's in Japan - it's meant to sell MH, as a franchise, in the West. The success of MH in Japan is extremely dependent on the local multiplayer component. That's why portability is so important. It's a social experience over there. Not that I think it'll do poorly, but temper your expectations if you seriously think this game is going to light a fire in Japan. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the best selling MH in the west, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it became one of the worst selling MHs in Japan. And not just because of the 6m installed base.