By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Ys VIII Collector's Edition Revealed For Nintendo Switch

killeryoshis said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

About as good as Xenoblade 2. 

I refuse to believe that. I will get Ys 8 just to prove that it is not.

Falcom created the first JRPG. It was an Action RPG in 1984 with Dragon Slayer. They have been around longer than any RPG developer out there. Ys is one of their longest running series (1986) and the series is amazing. Ys VIII is the best Ys using the modern formula. Ys games are very fast paced. Modern Ys is very different from Ys Origin or Oath as those games are Fry on 100 cups of coffee. Ys VIII is slower but still awesome. Different from Xenoblade and not as story rich. They are more linear than Xenoblade but it works for this series. They are just very well made RPG's that are pretty unique. 

Around the Network
SegataSanshiro said:
killeryoshis said:

I refuse to believe that. I will get Ys 8 just to prove that it is not.

Falcom created the first JRPG. It was an Action RPG in 1984 with Dragon Slayer. They have been around longer than any RPG developer out there. Ys is one of their longest running series (1986) and the series is amazing. Ys VIII is the best Ys using the modern formula. Ys games are very fast paced. Modern Ys is very different from Ys Origin or Oath as those games are Fry on 100 cups of coffee. Ys VIII is slower but still awesome. Different from Xenoblade and not as story rich. They are more linear than Xenoblade but it works for this series. They are just very well made RPG's that are pretty unique. 

Really now? Most 3rd parties can't keep franchise quality that high for so long.  I have Ys 1 & 2 from GOG. However I have not got around to playing them.  I have been saving them for a rainy day. Along with the Ultima games. Maybe I will get around to playing those before I dive in Ys 8. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

killeryoshis said:
SegataSanshiro said:

Really now? Most 3rd parties can't keep franchise quality that high for so long.  I have Ys 1 & 2 from GOG. However I have not got around to playing them.  I have been saving them for a rainy day. Along with the Ultima games. Maybe I will get around to playing those before I dive in Ys 8. 

Yeah Falcom has done a great job with their franchises maintaining them. Ys V was the only real bump in the road for Ys on SNES. Of course Ys 1-2 is the Doom of RPGs being ported to about everything under the sun and not every port is great but Chronicles IMO is the best version of the first 2 games and perosnally my favorite OST from Yuzo Koshiro.

killeryoshis said:
SegataSanshiro said:

They really play nothing like the newer games though. If you want a fresh start on the series, I'd recommend trying Ys Origin (PC/PS4/Vita) or Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC/PSP/Vita).

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
killeryoshis said:

They really play nothing like the newer games though. If you want a fresh start on the series, I'd recommend trying Ys Origin (PC/PS4/Vita) or Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC/PSP/Vita).

Nah. I don't think that is needed. I tend to play games from franchises out of order all the time and never encountered any problems. I am also not afraid of a game being too outdated. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Around the Network
killeryoshis said:
outlawauron said:

Nah. I don't think that is needed. I tend to play games from franchises out of order all the time and never encountered any problems. I am also not afraid of a game being too outdated. 

Well, I was suggesting playing it out of order. But if a game being outdated doesn't bother you, then by all means. It just won't be very representative of Ys VIII.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.