By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - [Voting closed] VgChartz Top 50 Video Game Soundtracks

1. Halo 2 (10p)
2. Witcher 3 (9p)
3. Persona 5 (8p)
4. Final Fantasy X (7p)
5. Final Fantasy VII (6p)
6. Nier Automata (5p)
7. Child of Light (4p)
8. Lost Odyssey (3p)
9. Ori and the Blind Forest (2p)
10. Mass Effect 2 (1p)

Around the Network

#1: Okami
#2: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
#3: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
#4: Killer Instinct (2013)
#5: Super Metroid
#6: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
#7: Fire Emblem: Awakening
#8: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#9: Undertale
#10: Xenoblade Chronicles

Honorable Mention goes to Majora's Mask, hard choice at #10.

GameOverture said:
1.Final Fantasy VI (even made a video about it lol)
2.Shadow of the Colossus
3.Super Mario Galaxy
4.Metroid Prime
5.Hollow Knight
6.Bastion
7.Zelda: Wind Waker
8.Hotline Miami
9.Ori and the Blind Forest
10.Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Hi. I would like to include your top 10 on the countdown, but you need to have at least 50 posts on the forums before I can do that. Sorry about this, but the rule is in place to prevent people using multiple accounts to leave their votes. If you get to 50 posts before the voting deadline (February 1) I will take you vote into account as well. You're quite close to that anyway, so it shouldn't be a huge problem I hope.

NobleTeam360 said:
4. Final Fantasy X (7p)
5. Final Fantasy VII (6p)

You need to change one of these before I can include your list. Only one game per franchise is allowed.

halil23 said: 

That was difficult cause there's heaps more I wanted to add, maybe a top 30?

Trust me, I know how it feels to choose just ten soundtracks when I could just as easily list about 50 by myself. If it wouldn't lead to a huge workload increase I honestly wouldn't mind longer lists from everyone.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Leadified said:

8. Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

You need to explain this.

Has my favourite boss themes in the series: Vs. Emperor Ing B, Vs. Dark Samus (prefer this version to the MP3 one). Pumped up remixes for the multiplayer mode (sadly multiplayer kind of sucks so most people just here these songs from Smash). 

All the light world themes, except for the Temple Grounds, have a creepy undertone to them while the dark world turns most areas into hell on Earth. In combination with the ammo system, and desolate, dark environments, it helps to create an atmosphere to stress you out while playing, almost like a horror game. That's something I expect from a series that was inspired by the Alien films and while I like MP1 more as a game, I always liked the atmosphere in 2 more.

On a more personal level, I listened to many of the dark world themes while I was in school, doing projects or just studying. Not for any morbid reason or anything, but it was nice to have some background noise that wasn't distracting.

halil23 said:
Darashiva said:

Trust me, I know how it feels to choose just ten soundtracks when I could just as easily list about 50 by myself. If it wouldn't lead to a huge workload increase I honestly wouldn't mind longer lists from everyone.

lol true.

Great thread btw

Thanks. It's always fun to do stuff related to video game music, so I'm glad other people enjoy it as well.

1. Assassin's Creed 2
2. Demon's Souls
3. GTA Vice City Stories
4. Dark Souls
5. God of War
6. Gran Turismo 6
7. NFS: Hot pursuit
8. Batman: Arkham City
9. Nier: Automata
10. FIFA 11

mZuzek said:
Leadified said:

Has my favourite boss themes in the series: Vs. Emperor Ing B, Vs. Dark Samus (prefer this version to the MP3 one). Pumped up remixes for the multiplayer mode (sadly multiplayer kind of sucks so most people just here these songs from Smash). 

All the light world themes, except for the Temple Grounds, have a creepy undertone to them while the dark world turns most areas into hell on Earth. In combination with the ammo system, and desolate, dark environments, it helps to create an atmosphere to stress you out while playing, almost like a horror game. That's something I expect from a series that was inspired by the Alien films and while I like MP1 more as a game, I always liked the atmosphere in 2 more.

On a more personal level, I listened to many of the dark world themes while I was in school, doing projects or just studying. Not for any morbid reason or anything, but it was nice to have some background noise that wasn't distracting.

Well, that's... weird. I thought most people agreed Prime 2's soundtrack is among the worst in the franchise, if not downright the worst. Then again, maybe most people still do.

Emperor Ing 2 is pretty cool yeah, but I was never big on the Dark Samus theme or the Multiplayer music. Personally the only standout tracks in the whole soundtrack for me are Torvus Bog and the Lower Brinstar remix, which has since been overshadowed by Samus Returns' rendition.

I just don't like how... 'nothing' the soundtrack is. I get that it's supposed to be atmospheric, but when 90% of the game's music is just the same dark and foreboding noises, I think it just gets quite boring, never mind all Dark World music being pretty much the same thing. Instead of them transforming each area's music into a dark and twisted version of itself, they just sorta made one general boring Dark World theme and added little details from each area's music into it. I do agree it contributes to the Dark World being very much like hell, but personally I find it to be more distracting than it is intense, I think it's by and large the biggest problem with this game - I mean as in, if the Dark World wasn't there, I'd say Prime 2 might have just been better than Prime 1.

Anyways, yeah. I don't really see how anyone would listen to the Dark World themes regularly, though I guess it makes sense if you're just looking for some background music. I just think there's far better examples out there in gaming, and most importantly in Metroid itself, of great atmospheric music.

There's no doubt in my mind that most people would prefer Metroid Prime or Super Metroid's soundtrack compared to Prime 2 but I'm not particularly concerned about consensus. What people might dislike about something might also be what other people like, especially when it comes to something as subjective as music.

For example, personally I could never understand the love for Splatoon's soundtrack, I liked the game itself but with the exception of a few songs most of the soundtrack sounds like nails on a chalkboard because of the squid "vocals" (although I think the final boss theme is pretty lit). I see people love the tracks which I despise the most, so I don't even know

Last edited by Leadified - on 23 January 2018

1 Xenoblade X
2 Legend Of Zelda Windwaker
3 Kingdom Hearts
4 Final Fantasy VI
5 Lunar the Silver Star
6 Suikoden 3
7 Tales Of Symphonia 
8 Sonic 2
9 Castlevania SON
10 Bayonetta 2