By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Are we entering a new Grand Solar Minimum?

CaptainExplosion said:
Flilix said:

Technically it's a good thing, since it would partially counter the current global warming. However, it's not fully clear yet how it would have an impact on our planet, and it seems like its impact will probably be very small (compared to the greenhouse effect).

Well we've gotten more snow than last year in Southern Ontario, and weren't there a few freak blizzards in the United States this past few months?

Some places will sometimes see colder periods, even in a period of overall warming, but the overall global trend is an increase in temperature.

This map compares average temperatures from 2008 to 2012 with the mid 20th century baseline. As you can see, some places are actually colder, but most places are warmer. The most affected region is the arctic, while the least affected regions are antarctica and the pacific.

So in all likelihood, your experiences are just minor anomalies from a bigger trend.

Last edited by Teeqoz - on 15 January 2018

Around the Network

Teeqoz said:
DonFerrari said:

So the greenhouse will "hold the cold inside"?

That is not how greenhouse gases work. Like at all.

Greenhouse gases reflect EM radiation of longer wavelengths, such as infrared, which are the wavelengths that the earth gives off the most off (because the earth's temperature of about 290 Kelvin is pretty low), while the sun primarily radiates in much shorter wavelengths due to it's higher temperature of about 5500 Kelvin, and those shorter wavelenghts are much less affected by greenhouse gases. Hence why greenhouse gases lead to an overall increase in temperature. Without them, the average temperature on earth would be about -18 degrees celsius.

This is why I asked the guy... and you don't hold cold, because what "moves" or is transferred is the heat, the excitement...

My original question was if this lower Sun activity would diminish the greenhouse effect (or in the case, the heating of the planet), for which the person answered that the greenhouse is what would cause the mini ice age... so from what I understood we were both being sarcastic on the greenhouse causing cool down on earth.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Teeqoz said:

That is not how greenhouse gases work. Like at all.

Greenhouse gases reflect EM radiation of longer wavelengths, such as infrared, which are the wavelengths that the earth gives off the most off (because the earth's temperature of about 290 Kelvin is pretty low), while the sun primarily radiates in much shorter wavelengths due to it's higher temperature of about 5500 Kelvin, and those shorter wavelenghts are much less affected by greenhouse gases. Hence why greenhouse gases lead to an overall increase in temperature. Without them, the average temperature on earth would be about -18 degrees celsius.

This is why I asked the guy... and you don't hold cold, because what "moves" or is transferred is the heat, the excitement...

My original question was if this lower Sun activity would diminish the greenhouse effect (or in the case, the heating of the planet), for which the person answered that the greenhouse is what would cause the mini ice age... so from what I understood we were both being sarcastic on the greenhouse causing cool down on earth.

It's not easy to see what is sarcasm and what isn't regarding climate change. I've seen and heard people say stuff like what you wrote in your post while being completely serious.

bdbdbd said:
DonFerrari said:

So the greenhouse will "hold the cold inside"?

Of course. That's because 90% of the climate discussion is politics, it means that anything that happens one way or the other is caused by climate change - and when nothing happens, it the fault of climate change, because obviously something would need to happen in that case.

It's like fat that's always causing heart disease - no matter if you eat it or not (in reality the problem is high carbohydrate diet and insulin resistance that's caused by it).

Um....not trying to rain on your parade here (especially since there is some truth to what you're saying, especially about fat and carberhydrates...blame the sugar industry for that one) but the reason global warming would also have cooling effects in some parts of the world is because the melting ice caps have the potential to cool down the golf stream, wich is what is keeping large parts of europe and central america nicely tempered.

While most of africa would still become a single large burning desert, europe would be entering a temporary ice age without it. Until globally temperature has risen enough to negate the effects of the missing golf stream, that is.

Around the Network
Teeqoz said:
DonFerrari said:

It's not easy to see what is sarcasm and what isn't regarding climate change. I've seen and heard people say stuff like what you wrote in your post while being completely serious.

I see. I'm not offended that you thought I was being serious and gave a good and simple summary.

But my point on the lowered sun activity would decelerate the global warming was a serious curiosity. Because it seems both would counterbalance for sometime, but of course that if we keep increasing greenhouse effect when the sun goes to another high it will be quite problematic. 

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Errorist76 said:
bdbdbd said:

Well of course not. The newer models of greenhouse effect shows that the climate is actually cooling because of it.

Those published by the Trump team I guess?!

No IPCC. This was a reference to IPCC changing their forecast every two years when the model did not fit political agenda and what was happening was the opposite to what they predicted.

Haven't been following this in years anymore, but the last time I was following, the global warming was supposed to be global cooling, as the weather conditions were supposed to get harsher, and the melting of polar ice caps would slow down the deep sea currents so, that the currents that currently pump warm water from the equator to polar regions, would not pump as much heat anymore. So what would get warmer, would be the equatorial region, but the closer you get to polar region, the cooler it would get. It was also predicting, that summers could be hotter and winters would be colder.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

SuperNova said:
bdbdbd said:

Of course. That's because 90% of the climate discussion is politics, it means that anything that happens one way or the other is caused by climate change - and when nothing happens, it the fault of climate change, because obviously something would need to happen in that case.

It's like fat that's always causing heart disease - no matter if you eat it or not (in reality the problem is high carbohydrate diet and insulin resistance that's caused by it).

Um....not trying to rain on your parade here (especially since there is some truth to what you're saying, especially about fat and carberhydrates...blame the sugar industry for that one) but the reason global warming would also have cooling effects in some parts of the world is because the melting ice caps have the potential to cool down the golf stream, wich is what is keeping large parts of europe and central america nicely tempered.

While most of africa would still become a single large burning desert, europe would be entering a temporary ice age without it. Until globally temperature has risen enough to negate the effects of the missing golf stream, that is.

Yes, I know what causes what. I followed climate science pretty closely, until it became only a tool to push political agenda. All the truth there is, was stained by the few hoaxes there were "to prove a point" and the blatant politics there's running in the background.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

DonFerrari said:
So the greenhouse effect will be less problematic?

Given Scott Pruitt is hard at work compensating for the loss of heat, probably not... 

AsGryffynn said:
DonFerrari said:
So the greenhouse effect will be less problematic?

Given Scott Pruitt is hard at work compensating for the loss of heat, probably not... 

So we are safe and warm =p