By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Is Rey from Star Wars a Mary Sue?

Soundwave said:

Neo isn't a weakling at the beginning of the Matrix. He fails the first jump but that's it. He only fails because he doesn't trust in his inate powers. 

The very first time he spars with Morpheus it's clear to the audience that he's already more powerful than Morpheus who's presumably the most powerful of the "good guys". 

The only thing he has to do is believe in himself and he can basically beat anyone, it's pre-destined in him.

Harry Potter beats Dracoy at quiddich right away and becomes like the best little wizard in Hogwarts within a week, lol.

Gimme a break with this shit.

This is a common archetype, the messiah/Chosen One/Golden Child archetype, it's just not commonly applied to women.

The only lesson for Harry Potter/Neo is not that they needed to work hard, it's that they were already better than everyone else, they just needed to believe it. That's the character arc, like it or not. 

Harry Potter and Neo exist in their own respective universe though, for starters. Rey is in Luke's universe where Luke demonstrates that the powers of the force don't just fall out of the sky and land in your lap.

Luke had to train. Rey didn't. For her, force powers just happen because reasons.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Soundwave said:

Neo isn't a weakling at the beginning of the Matrix. He fails the first jump but that's it. He only fails because he doesn't trust in his inate powers. 

The very first time he spars with Morpheus it's clear to the audience that he's already more powerful than Morpheus who's presumably the most powerful of the "good guys". 

The only thing he has to do is believe in himself and he can basically beat anyone, it's pre-destined in him.

Harry Potter beats Dracoy at quiddich right away and becomes like the best little wizard in Hogwarts within a week, lol.

This is a common archetype, the messiah/Chosen One/Golden Child archetype, it's just not commonly applied to women.

The only lesson for Harry Potter/Neo is not that they needed to work hard, it's that they were already better than everyone else, they just needed to believe it. That's the character arc, like it or not. 

Harry Potter and Neo exist in their own respective universe though, for starters. Rey is in Luke's universe where Luke demonstrates that the powers of the force don't just fall out of the sky and land in your lap.

Luke had to train. Rey didn't. For her, force powers just happen because reasons.

Rey is that respective archetype to the Star Wars universe though, Luke is not. Luke is a different heroes journey, Rey's heroes journey is the Chosen One arc.

The Force to me seems to do whatever the fuck it wants in Star Wars, if it predestines someone to bring balance to the Force, it seems to me like that's going to happen. No matter what. 

By the way, loved this moment in The Last Jedi, I love when Rey goes beserker mode. 

Soundwave said:
KLAMarine said:

Rey is that respective archetype to the Star Wars universe though, Luke is not. Luke is a different heroes journey, Rey's heroes journey is the Chosen One arc.

So Rey didn't have to train because she's some sort of archetype? The force breaks the fourth wall and sides with her because the script is telling it to?

Soundwave said:

The Force to me seems to do whatever the fuck it wants in Star Wars, if it predestines someone to bring balance to the Force, it seems to me like that's going to happen. No matter what. 

The force is becoming a get-out-of-jail-free card and can be used by Rey who didn't need to train to use it. It wasn't like this with the original trilogy where Luke had to train on how to use it.

KLAMarine said:
Soundwave said:

So Rey didn't have to train because she's some sort of archetype? The force breaks the fourth wall and sides with her because the script is telling it to?

Soundwave said:

The force is becoming a get-out-of-jail-free card and can be used by Rey who didn't need to train to use it. It wasn't like this with the original trilogy where Luke had to train on how to use it.

It's pretty much openly stated in the Star Wars movies that when there is a massive imbalance in the Force (meaning too much Dark Side basically) the Force arbitrarily will choose someone and give them extraordinary abilities. That's established canon already. Anakin Skywalker is a virgin birth conceived by the Force to destroy Palpatine basically. 

I'm pretty sure Rey is the same deal. Snoke even says it, she's the light to meet the darkness, as if it was basically inevitable. 

Luke is not the same deal, no offence to him, but he's probably a tier below Anakin/Rey. 

I'm pretty sure in the Star Wars universe in the event that the Sith "win" and every good Jedi is killed, the Force will basically just create a new savior/Chosen One, and the powers would be present in them without training. The Force can do some wacky shit, I mean it can impregnate women and allows for ghosts, having a Chosen One that has their power inate in them rather than having to study for a million hours doesn't seem like a big stretch to me. She's Star Wars Neo because Luke shut himself off from the Force. The Force always has a back up plan, lol. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 January 2018

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
KLAMarine said:

It's pretty much openly stated in the Star Wars movies that when there is a massive imbalance in the Force (meaning too much Dark Side basically) the Force arbitrarily will choose someone and give them extraordinary abilities. That's established canon already. Anakin Skywalker is a virgin birth conceived by the Force to destroy Palpatine basically.

I'm pretty sure Rey is the same deal. Snoke even says it, she's the light to meet the darkness, as if it was basically inevitable. 

And that's a portion I don't like about Star Wars and it manifested itself in the worst way possible with young Anakin and Rey.

Soundwave said:

Luke is not the same deal, no offence to him, but he's probably a tier below Anakin/Rey. 

No offense at all: Anakin and Rey may be more powerful and whatnot but Luke is the more compelling character and for that, I respect him: he worked and struggled to get where he was at the end of 6. Rey was just about handed everything and she just went with the flow.

Soundwave said:

I'm pretty sure in the Star Wars universe in the event that the Sith "win" and every good Jedi is killed, the Force will basically just create a new savior/Chosen One, and the powers would be present in them without training. The Force can do some wacky shit, I mean it can impregnate women and allows for ghosts, having a Chosen One that has their power inate in them rather than having to study for a million hours doesn't seem like a big stretch to me. It's Star Wars Neo. 

Ugh. I prefer to think the force takes no side but apparently, Lucas and Disney think otherwise. This Star Wars ain't for me.

Soundwave said:

Is there a reason you guys can't argue honestly? First, you have no argument against the Mary Sue, so it becomes this endless quest to prove the other side has a double standard because she is a woman, hence they are sexist. But, you can't even point to real examples, so you make them up. 

I guess I missed the fight scene at the beginning of Matrix, where Neo kicked someone's ass. Oh, wait, it didn't happen. When we meet Neo he is just some lowly employee who gets bitched out for being late, and is a hacker on the side. He's not strong. He has no fighting capability. If he were to get in a fight, he would either run away or, more than likely, get his ass beat. Hell, in the real world he's just like everyone else, locked in an artificial womb and can barely move. It's not until he is taught about the Matrix, and has fighting lessons downloaded into his skull, that he even starts to use his powers, which aren't that powerful at the beginning. He still gets his ass handed to him til the very end of the film, and has to be saved by Morpheus and Trinity on separate occasions.

I also missed all those scenes where Harry is the best student who is constantly correcting other students' mistakes and learns quicker than anyone else. Oh, wait, that also never happened. That's Hermoine. He hardly ever has the answers to any of the big problems on his own and has to constantly consult his friends and teachers. In fact, without all of them, Harry would have died on several occasions. And he would have been dead from the start had his mother not saved him.

He also accidentally grabbed the Snitch. Call it a plot convenience if you want, but that has nothing to do with being a Gary Stu. 

She's a Mary Sue. 

"Accidentally winning" is pretty much a hall mark of a Gary Stu/Mary Sue/Chosen One.

Good shit always happens to them.

Their character arc is always that they have to believe in themselves, not that they need to train extra hard. That's it.

The first time Neo fights anyone in The Matrix he basically beats Morpheus. So you're being disingenuous about that.

He could've smashed Morpehus' face in, he chooses to hold back because he is uncomfortable. 

That's basically all this character type has for a challenge ... the uncomfort of how powerful they are and the burden of being "chosen". They will generally rebel against this at first, but eventually get talked into it. 

This shit is standard archetypal story telling. 

Soundwave said:

You're conflating several types of characters into something that doesn't exist because you don't know the differences. Harry and Neo are not the same type of character nor are they Gary Stus.

Harry is the classic kind of hero who relies on his allies and friends to accomplish most of everything. Without them, he would fail. He has modest abilities of his own.

Neo is the prophetized hero who supposed to save mankind and destroy the machines. He makes a lot of big mistakes including creating the very thing that can wipe out everything and he doesn't accomplish much in destroying the machines. He only managed a truce at the cost of his life while defeating the archvillian he created.

A Mary Sue or Gary Stu is the perfect hero that rarely ever makes any mistakes or has actual flaws. They are the ideal hero. They generally have overpowered abilities but not always. They don't rely much on others because they don't have to. This type of character is common in comic books, anime and in films. 

A Stu doesn't make sense within sw because none of the characters are Stus. All of the protagonists were deeply flawed and imperfect. They failed more often than not. Rey is too perfect and powerful. She was able to use force powers and win in a lightsaber duel without training. She's a poorly written character that doesn't make any sense in the sw universe. That's why a lot of people don't like her.

KLAMarine said:
Soundwave said:

Soundwave said:

It's not even like that with Space Jesus, Anakin. And it is never stated that the Force has a will of its own. It's just an energy that surrounds everything that some can connect with. Even in the prequel trilogy, it is some Jedi prophecy, which turned out wrong, not the Force, saying Anakin is the chosen one. It's also implied that Darth Plagueis created him by toying with the Force to create life. Seems that would greatly swing the Force in their favor. The balance is for Force users to keep, not some sentient matter that likes fucking with people. Just a poor device to try to cover up for a Mary Sue.