By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch-The platform of ports and shovelware

SKMBlake said:

I guess Bethesda workers were the most insane ones then.

And stop trolling with the "Wii U owners have 0 new game to play" bs, I don't remember playing Payday 2 or Dark Souls on the Wii U, nor Kirby Star Allies. One port (Donkey Kong) shown in this direct and suddunly the whole direct was only about Wii U ports.

Yeah but you can play those games on pc/ps/xbox and wii u was always just a 2ndary console.

Around the Network

It's not that there are too many ports, the problem is that there isn't enough original content. Yes, Nintendo's output has been nothing less than stellar last year, but third parties have been sleeping and haven't brought anything new or worthwhile to the Switch.

Apart from the beautiful Project Octopath, Is there even one new third party game announced for 2018?

Last edited by Chrizum - on 11 January 2018

HintHRO said:
As a previous Wii U owner, I don't see any reason to buy a Switch right now unless you like full-priced ports of games not even released 2-3 years ago. Especially not with its current price tag (without a game included!). It's underpowered, only offers 2 or 3 worthy original games and we have yet to see footage of Metroid, Shin Megami Tensei, Pikmin and other big games without a release date. Also third-party software are more expensive while being released years later and downgraded.

Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 are absolutely brilliant and both justify completely my purchase of the Switch.

But I would like getting more amazing Nintendo games on it that I did not already play on the Wii U. They really should release Fire Emblem is ready before June.

This could have been in the main nintendo direct thread. This isn't twitter.

I think you need to keep in mind what Switch is. It's a different system than say the PS4 or Xbox One.   It's a Nintendo system so it's success is based first and foremost on 1st party support to drive demand and also off of the unique properties of the system. The nature of the system being what is is its going to receive ports for 3rd parties. Nintendo would need to create a different system designed to get games day and day from 3rd parties that was very similar to the offerings from Sony and Microsoft.  For the 3rd parties the Switch will be a way to generate more income from games that have previously released on the other systems.  It caters to a Nintendo fanbase which is loyal to games that come to their platform plus an audience of gamers who value portability. The success of the system caught 3rd party dev's off guard so even though many big publishers have promised support this only started just before the holidays and its going to take time for this to show fruits. Nintendo is wise to fill out the lineup in the meantime with ports of Wiiu games. Many Switch owners didn't own a Wiiu so to these gamers this is great brand new content for their system. Eventually Nintendo will run out of Wiiu games worth porting and long before this 3rd parties will be releasing a steady drumbeat of original titles and ports to fill in the gaps between major new Nintendo releases. Right now its not a system of shovelware and ports. If it was it wouldn't be selling so well. Its a system that offer more convenience and more access to games and also has some of the best original titles any system has seen before. 

I like how it takes one single event to completely changes the narrative about something.2 days ago the switch has one of the best launch years in history,with acllaimed games,successful software sales and a good release schedule.

Now it's a house of ports and shovelware. I'm sorry op,but i think you're completely changing the narrative to fit on your on bias here.The console is not even one year old yet,and has way more system sellers than it's competitors had in the same window of time.The idea that nintendo is not releasing nothing this hole year because of this
mini-direct is completely absurd.

If,by the time the year ends,they and/or third parties don't release enough new quality-software and rely only on ports,then i'll give you the reason on this discussion.Until then,this thread seems misguided and foolish.

Around the Network

There's actually a lot of quality content on the eshop and certainly no 'flood of shovelware' in sight.

Sure, there are a few titles here and there that aren't quite up to snuff, but that's what you get on every console. PS4 has 'life of black tiger', while Switch has that failed attempt at a retro resident evil game.

Overall the Switch eshop is probably better curated than average right now.

SKMBlake said:

And stop trolling with the "Wii U owners have 0 new game to play" bs, I don't remember playing Payday 2 or Dark Souls on the Wii U, nor Kirby Star Allies. One port (Donkey Kong) shown in this direct and suddunly the whole direct was only about Wii U ports.

If I wanted to play Payday 2 or Dark Souls I could've played them on my Xbox 360 years ago.

curl-6 said:
SKMBlake said:

If I wanted to play Payday 2 or Dark Souls I could've played them on my Xbox 360 years ago.

Yeah, so not on the Wii U. And I don't know what's wrong with ports, the best-selling game of the 7th generation is a PS360 port.

SKMBlake said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, so not on the Wii U. And I don't know what's wrong with ports, the best-selling game of the 7th generation is a PS360 port.

Wii U owners have other consoles you know.

And some of us actually like to play new games rather than reheated leftovers.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 11 January 2018

Green098 said:

Yeah, but it's like when you wanted ports on 360/PS3/Wii U for HD versions, or 3DS ports for 3D versions. There is a clear selling point for Switch ports, 'portability' and a lot of them have tended to be games either popular or didn't have the chance to reach a user base as big as the Switch has. As long they're quality titles of themselves it's not a huge negative to most people as long we have new content like Mario Tenis Aces, Kirby Star Allies, Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V, Megaman 11 and ect.

Someone gets how making money works. It's a waste and foolish to let some of those high quality Wii-u titles die just because the system didn't sell.