By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Which Is A Bigger Threat To Humanity? Science Or Religion?

SpokenTruth said:
The problem here is scientific literacy.

The scientifically illiterate are ignorant of science leaving them ill equipped to discuss and debate it. What seems obvious and well understood by the literate is challenged and doubted by the illiterate because they perceive their ignorance as just as valid.

Well, science needs to be challenged and questioned, and technically it doesn't matter who's doing it. Then again, there exists founded and unfounded criticism and most often the founded tends to drive science further. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
Vizigoth04 said:

Well this is long and drawn out. But I think before we can Science or Religion (believe in something) we must have intellect. God, if that's what you believe, gave us this intellect. He did as much as set up the game of Life and we're the ones in charge of playing it. You can use your intellect to enforce your science or religion on others. Should you with out asking? Well that's where morals come in and another slew of religions/beliefs. The best that I can do personally is collaborate as best as possible with my fellow Man and Woman to discuss the things that come up and come to agreements. But as you get more and more people and more disagreements we tend to conflict. That's why we think we have borders. You believe what you want over there and we'll agree to disagree with our border over here. But then you have local disputes and uprising. At the end of the day society can't help that people are different. People think differently. That's a fact of life we will always have that right/wrong possibility. Good/Bad. Good/Evil. Dark/Light. Positive/Negative. That's how our atoms are built. With friction. It seems as though with this friction that life/death is possible. I guess try to find some balance along the way before the next Big Bang.

Mh, kinda agree with the bold.

Religion and science both are products of human intelligence, resp. his inquisitive nature. Early human observed the world, and tried his best to comprehend and describe it with the understanding he had. Gods behind the scene, working mechanisms of the Universe, creating the world, carrying the world, the Stars, Sun, Planets, divine births, making People, watching people, meddling with their daily lifes.

The urge to fill the gap between what is known and the unknown.

Ya, as i said before, Science or Religion, a redundant question. There is no "or".

Hunting Season is done...

o_O.Q said:
Hedra42 said:

Your claim was "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence"

The link does not substantiate the claim because it is about medical practices that were based on scientific observations and the available evidence of the time. They probably did have successes with leeches in the past, otherwise they wouldn't have been as widely used as they were, but we are talking about science today. Your link actually shows that modern medicine still uses leeches in certain circumstances, but this is based on the scientific evidence of the benefits of anti-bloodclotting agents in their saliva, not faith.

No, that was not your point, and it has been deliberately taken out of context. Your point was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence"

My point was that the scientists of the day were unknowingly working on hoaxed evidence, and came up with reasonable claims based on their observations. Despite these initially accepted claims, there was an unease about the authenticity of the bones which, back then, couldn't yet be proved. This unease, and the subsequent testing and re-testing until the truth was revealed had nothing to do with faith.

No, not after decades of faith in bs, as you so eloquently put it, it was after decades of wasted research and thought trying to fit these relics into the record of human evolution, and decades of uneasiness and speculation over the authenticity of the find, according to your own evidence.

You said "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence"

Scientists test hypotheses and theories based on existing evidence and observations, to ascertain proof and further their knowledge. If new discoveries are made, they may need to modify their hypotheses and theories. Sometimes a new discovery might turn a theory on its head, or lead to a medical breakthrough that makes existing practices look primitive and cumbersome in comparison. That doesn't mean that obsolete theories and practices can be regarded in hindsight as 'faith in bs'. It was valid science of the time.

Every step forward in science provides the foundation for the next, providing successes to build on and lessons to learn by. Even as they pass into obsolescence,  every scientific advancement is still as vitally important historically as today's cutting edge developments.

The theory of the origin of the universe  was developed based on observations and evidence. People may support this theory, but to say people believe in it is wrong. Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought) with hypotheses and theories, for which scientists strive to obtain proof and verification in their quest for knowledge and understanding.

Personally, I think that based on the evidence so far, the big bang theory is plausible, but it is incomplete - it doesn't answer questions like what caused the expansion, or whether what we are observing is the first such instance of the expansion of the universe. There are questions still to be answered about the nature of the contents of the universe which may, in time, change the way we understand its origins, and the theories that go with it.

But I don't 'believe in the big bang' just because it's the big bang, and nor do scientists.

Now, on to the quotes of your claims - which I had hoped you would provide supporting evidence for, but I see that you haven't.

Where is your supporting evidence that nobody can disagree with the fact that science has a more negative impact than religion?

Where is your supporting evidence that science has caused more loss of life than religion? (using the word arguably is not a get-out clause. If there's an argument for something, there should be something supporting it)

The rest of your 'claims' don't have supporting evidence either, but I'll respond to them anyway

I didn't voice my disagreement with anything. I am asking for supporting evidence on your argument against Permalite's statement.

I picked up on that quote of yours because it specifically attributes ignorance and greed to the practitioners of science. Where is your evidence? Don't try to get out of it by now applying these attributes to everyone.

I have already explained how scientific progress works, and I believe Permalite has, too. Again, I am asking for supporting evidence for your response to Permalites statement.

I rest my case.

By your response, you have said that maybe we should never have progressed from the stone age. You have made unsubstantiated claims that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. You have claimed, without supporting evidence, that science has caused more loss of life than religion, and you have claimed, without supporting evidence, that nobody can disagree that science has had a more negative impact than religion.

You have failed to give proper evidence supporting your claim that scientists work on faith, and you have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference between theory/hypothesis and faith. You have also demonstrated your lack of understanding about the continuing progress of scientific study by describing historical knowledge and practices as utilising 'faith', having 'ignorance' and 'pushing lies'.

And all you can come back with is a question about a problem with dodos? That's why I think a proper discussion is off the agenda.

"Your point was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence""

ok i didn't remember that i said presently, so that was a mistake, but i mean obviously if you believe that we'll make progress as we refine our technology then there'll be methods and ideas that we use now that will be discarded

its a perpetual practice for humanity, but regardless as a present example i'd mention singularities

" That doesn't mean that obsolete theories and practices can be regarded in hindsight as 'faith in bs'. It was valid science of the time."

but we aren't looking at this from the context of being there at the time but from here in the present

"The theory of the origin of the universe  was developed based on observations and evidence. People may support this theory, but to say people believe in it is wrong. "

really? you don't think people just believe in some things because an authority in the field told them and they just trust the authority?

"Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought)"

i'd disagree with that, for example, religious people look for their proof in their holy books

i know that faith is defined as belief with evidence but i don't think that's really the case, i think the hang up is with regards to what type of evidence

"Where is your supporting evidence that nobody can disagree with the fact that science has a more negative impact than religion?"

you reworded what i said, this is what i said and i already addressed this but lets go again then

i do think science has had more significant negative impacts on the planet than religion... and i don't think anyone can really disagree with that”

all situations where the planet has been damaged on a large scale by humans have been caused by science... examples would be oil spills, bombings, nuclear tests, nuclear accidents etc etc etc

can you forward anything on the religious side that is comparable?

"using the word arguably is not a get-out clause. If there's an argument for something, there should be something supporting it"

the billions of people that have died throughout the centuries due to guns, knives, swords, bombs, synthetic substances etc etc etc do you have a counterpoint?

"You have made unsubstantiated claims that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. "

but i mean what am i supposed to say to someone that doesn't acknowledge that greed and ignorance are inherent to human beings?

you're pretty much expecting me to argue something that's fundamental to existence, like asking me to prove that water is wet

wouldn't it be stupid for me to ask you to prove that water is wet? that's what you're doing right now

". You have claimed, without supporting evidence, that science has caused more loss of life than religion"

this is a lie

"that nobody can disagree that science has had a more negative impact than religion."

and this is a misquote presumably to worm away from the answer i gave

"ou have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference between theory/hypothesis and faith."

can you show me where i said that a hypothesis or theory is the same as faith?

the practices i spoke of were not regarded as hypotheses, they were accepted as verified treatments at the time... to try to use that to say that i have said that a hypothesis and faith are the same thing is a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnng stretch

" You have also demonstrated your lack of understanding about the continuing progress of scientific study by describing historical knowledge and practices as utilising 'faith', having 'ignorance' and 'pushing lies'."

uh are you really denying that piltdown man was a lie? i could see you trying to make that argument for the medical procedures sure but piltdown man? lol

uh and are you really saying that these people were not ignorant? are you kidding me right now? lol

so people that bled people out to cure them weren't ignorant? ok lol

and finally as i said above the procedures i referred to were not regarded as hypotheses... its not like these people were coming to this from the pov of testing the validity of the procedures, they were accepted as legitimate during those time periods

that would be like saying that if we find better cancer treatment methods in the future, that radiation therapy was just a "hypothesis" lol

I will tackle each of your responses to those statements of mine that you've quoted, in the boxes below.

"Your point was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence""

ok i didn't remember that i said presently, so that was a mistake, but i mean obviously if you believe that we'll make progress as we refine our technology then there'll be methods and ideas that we use now that will be discarded

its a perpetual practice for humanity, but regardless as a present example i'd mention singularities

" That doesn't mean that obsolete theories and practices can be regarded in hindsight as 'faith in bs'. It was valid science of the time."

but we aren't looking at this from the context of being there at the time but from here in the present

You had, up until this point, been arguing about scientists in the past using faith in their work in the absence of future evidence, and I responded that this wasn't the case. So I am assuming that you are now arguing that scientists of the present use faith in their work.

"The theory of the origin of the universe  was developed based on observations and evidence. People may support this theory, but to say people believe in it is wrong. "

really? you don't think people just believe in some things because an authority in the field told them and they just trust the authority?

You said in a previous post that we were talking about people who are educated on the subject. Please do not move the goalposts.

i'd disagree with that, for example, religious people look for their proof in their holy books

i know that faith is defined as belief with evidence but i don't think that's really the case, i think the hang up is with regards to what type of evidence

For the second time, you have taken a quote of mine out of context. The full quote is "Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought) with hypotheses and theories, for which scientists strive to obtain proof and verification in their quest for knowledge and understanding."

You do not understand the difference between belief/faith, and the methods scientists use in their work.

On to the (still) unsupported claims. For convenience, I have copied them from a previous post and put them in the box here.

i do think science has had more significant negative impacts on the planet than religion... and i don't think anyone can really disagree with that”

The development of these and other weapons and the other peripheral effects i touched briefly on (global warming for example) have arguably lead to the loss of more life than the conflicts of religion have...”

(in response to Pemalite’s comment "Ironically, it's the far-right, typically religious conservatives that are against the idea of things like climate change and thus the solution to many of those issues you have listed.") 

"how is it ironic? it could only be ironic if religion caused the problem to begin with... i'd argue that since religion is against technology advancement that its actually quite the opposite"

"i think what you are missing is that " ignorance, greed" are indispensable aspects of the practitioners of science "

(In response to Pemalite’s “That's not evidence that the Scientific Community uses faith.

That is just evidence that the Science wasn't fully understood.") 

"they had faith that the evidence presented in these cases was accurate and as a result they used harmful procedures or pushed lies... how can you really deny that?"

(Hedra42 said:) I would love to see some real supporting evidence for these. Maybe then we could have a proper discussion.

Note that I didn't ask for you to give your own clarifications, I asked for supporting evidence - twice. So far you have not provided any evidence, and I will therefore not be drawn into any discussion about them.

"Where is your supporting evidence that nobody can disagree with the fact that science has a more negative impact than religion?"

you reworded what i said, this is what i said and i already addressed this but lets go again then

i do think science has had more significant negative impacts on the planet than religion... and i don't think anyone can really disagree with that”

all situations where the planet has been damaged on a large scale by humans have been caused by science... examples would be oil spills, bombings, nuclear tests, nuclear accidents etc etc etc

"using the word arguably is not a get-out clause. If there's an argument for something, there should be something supporting it"

the billions of people that have died throughout the centuries due to guns, knives, swords, bombs, synthetic substances etc etc etc do you have a counterpoint?

"that nobody can disagree that science has had a more negative impact than religion."

These comments are related to the list of unevidenced claims. See my comment above this box.

"You have made unsubstantiated claims that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. "

but i mean what am i supposed to say to someone that doesn't acknowledge that greed and ignorance are inherent to human beings?

you're pretty much expecting me to argue something that's fundamental to existence, like asking me to prove that water is wet

wouldn't it be stupid for me to ask you to prove that water is wet? that's what you're doing right now

What you mean is that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. In fact, what you actually said was: "i think what you are missing is that 'ignorance, greed' are indispensable aspects of the practitioners of science". This implies that ignorance and greed are specifically necessary in order to be a practitioner of science.

Now you are trying to wriggle out of it by including scientists as a subset of humanity and applying the traits to humanity as a whole.

I will assume, then, that you are backing away from your original claim.

". You have claimed, without supporting evidence, that science has caused more loss of life than religion"

this is a lie

It is actually a misquote from your OP, and I apologise for getting it muddled. I did, however, quote it correctly in the list of unevidenced claims further up the post, and I will therefore not engage in discussion unless you provide evidence.

Now on to your analysis of my final paragraph.

"You have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference between theory/hypothesis and faith."

the practices i spoke of were not regarded as hypotheses, they were accepted as verified treatments at the time... to try to use that to say that i have said that a hypothesis and faith are the same thing is a looooooooonnnnnnnnnnng stretch

You asked me if I believed electrons existed. I pointed to evidence that showed images and a video of an electron. You replied that it was a bad example, but the point you were making was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence."

Faith is defined as a complete trust in someone or something. Belief is an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially without proof.  

Theory is a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained. A hypothesis is a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.  If conclusive evidence of the existence of electrons were not available, a scientist would not exhibit faith or belief in the existence of electrons. They would continue to work on the hypotheses and theories.

I have not said that you think hypothesis and faith are the same, I have said you have confused the two. In fact, I said that you had a lack of understanding of the difference between faith and hypothesis/theory. This lack of understanding was shown in your attempt to provide evidence supporting your claim "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence."

You are correct that bloodletting practices were accepted as verified treatments.  These were based on the scientific theories and knowledge of the time, backed up by a history of bloodletting going back thousands of years. Within that example, a scientist tested a hypothesis in 1828 to see just how effective bloodletting was on 'flu sufferers. No belief or faith was involved.

" You have also demonstrated your lack of understanding about the continuing progress of scientific study by describing historical knowledge and practices as utilising 'faith', having 'ignorance' and 'pushing lies'."

uh are you really denying that piltdown man was a lie? i could see you trying to make that argument for the medical procedures sure but piltdown man? lol

uh and are you really saying that these people were not ignorant? are you kidding me right now? lol

and finally as i said above the procedures i referred to were not regarded as hypotheses... its not like these people were coming to this from the pov of testing the validity of the procedures, they were accepted as legitimate during those time periods

that would be like saying that if we find better cancer treatment methods in the future, that radiation therapy was just a "hypothesis" lol

When did I deny that Piltdown Man was a lie? Piltdown Man was a hoax, but at the time, to the scientists involved, it was a real and exciting find. The scientists were the victims - the only people pushing lies were the people who devised the hoax in the first place - and those individuals were never identified.

The people that bled people were not ignorant. Definition of ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated. They may appear ignorant in comparison to the medical professionals of today, but they were knowledgable physicians of their time. Bloodletting is beneficial in certain cases, and it is used in medicine today.

You are right that the bloodletting procedures were accepted verified treatments of the time. Where did I ever deny that? But you were trying to pass the practice off as evidence of 'faith' being used among the scientific community in the face of inconclusive evidence. I'm glad you seem to understand that this was not the case, and hope that you now understand the difference between 'faith' and 'hypothesis'.

Hedra42 said:
o_O.Q said:

this is a lie

"ou have demonstrated a lack of understanding of the difference between theory/hypothesis and faith."

I will tackle each of your responses to those statements of mine that you've quoted, in the boxes below.

You had, up until this point, been arguing about scientists in the past using faith in their work in the absence of future evidence, and I responded that this wasn't the case. So I am assuming that you are now arguing that scientists of the present use faith in their work.

You said in a previous post that we were talking about people who are educated on the subject. Please do not move the goalposts.

For the second time, you have taken a quote of mine out of context. The full quote is "Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought) with hypotheses and theories, for which scientists strive to obtain proof and verification in their quest for knowledge and understanding."

You do not understand the difference between belief/faith, and the methods scientists use in their work.

On to the (still) unsupported claims. For convenience, I have copied them from a previous post and put them in the box here.

Note that I didn't ask for you to give your own clarifications, I asked for supporting evidence - twice. So far you have not provided any evidence, and I will therefore not be drawn into any discussion about them.

These comments are related to the list of unevidenced claims. See my comment above this box.

What you mean is that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. In fact, what you actually said was: "i think what you are missing is that 'ignorance, greed' are indispensable aspects of the practitioners of science". This implies that ignorance and greed are specifically necessary in order to be a practitioner of science.

Now you are trying to wriggle out of it by including scientists as a subset of humanity and applying the traits to humanity as a whole.

It is actually a misquote from your OP, and I apologise for getting it muddled. I did, however, quote it correctly in the list of unevidenced claims further up the post, and I will therefore not engage in discussion unless you provide evidence.

You asked me if I believed electrons existed. I pointed to evidence that showed images and a video of an electron. You replied that it was a bad example, but the point you were making was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence."

Faith is defined as a complete trust in someone or something. Belief is an acceptance that something exists or is true, especially without proof.  

Theory is a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained. A hypothesis is a supposition or proposed explanation made on the basis of limited evidence as a starting point for further investigation.  If conclusive evidence of the existence of electrons were not available, a scientist would not exhibit faith or belief in the existence of electrons. They would continue to work on the hypotheses and theories.

I have not said that you think hypothesis and faith are the same, I have said you have confused the two. In fact, I said that you had a lack of understanding of the difference between faith and hypothesis/theory. This lack of understanding was shown in your attempt to provide evidence supporting your claim "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence."

You are correct that bloodletting practices were accepted as verified treatments.  These were based on the scientific theories and knowledge of the time, backed up by a history of bloodletting going back thousands of years. Within that example, a scientist tested a hypothesis in 1828 to see just how effective bloodletting was on 'flu sufferers. No belief or faith was involved.

When did I deny that Piltdown Man was a lie? Piltdown Man was a hoax, but at the time, to the scientists involved, it was a real and exciting find. The scientists were the victims - the only people pushing lies were the people who devised the hoax in the first place - and those individuals were never identified.

The people that bled people were not ignorant. Definition of ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated. They may appear ignorant in comparison to the medical professionals of today, but they were knowledgable physicians of their time. Bloodletting is beneficial in certain cases, and it is used in medicine today.

You are right that the bloodletting procedures were accepted verified treatments of the time. Where did I ever deny that? But you were trying to pass the practice off as evidence of 'faith' being used among the scientific community in the face of inconclusive evidence. I'm glad you seem to understand that this was not the case, and hope that you now understand the difference between 'faith' and 'hypothesis'.

"For the second time, you have taken a quote of mine out of context. The full quote is "Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought) with hypotheses and theories, for which scientists strive to obtain proof and verification in their quest for knowledge and understanding."

You do not understand the difference between belief/faith, and the methods scientists use in their work."

i give further analysis on this addressing another quote from you

"What you mean is that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. In fact, what you actually said was: "i think what you are missing is that 'ignorance, greed' are indispensable aspects of the practitioners of science". This implies that ignorance and greed are specifically necessary in order to be a practitioner of science.

Now you are trying to wriggle out of it by including scientists as a subset of humanity and applying the traits to humanity as a whole."

humanity are the practitioners of science... what else could i be talking about?

my last answer

"but i mean what am i supposed to say to someone that doesn't acknowledge that greed and ignorance are inherent to human beings?"

who else besides humans have been the practitioners of science? are you claiming ancient aliens or something?

the word practitioner all by itself is a term that always refers to humans

google's definition - "a person actively engaged in an art, discipline, or profession, especially medicine"

"You asked me if I believed electrons existed. I pointed to evidence that showed images and a video of an electron. You replied that it was a bad example, but the point you were making was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence.""

you acknowledged here that i did reconsider my claim about electrons, so why bring it up again?

"I have not said that you think hypothesis and faith are the same, I have said you have confused the two."

using a claim that i already retracted... curiously you didn't acknowledge my replacement claim about singularities i wonder why?

"You are correct that bloodletting practices were accepted as verified treatments.  These were based on the scientific theories and knowledge of the time, backed up by a history of bloodletting going back thousands of years. Within that example, a scientist tested a hypothesis in 1828 to see just how effective bloodletting was on 'flu sufferers. No belief or faith was involved."

well obviously there was since they proceeded to continue using a harmful procedure

when a hypothesis is proven false you discard the experiment... to continue to utilise whatever methods you've been working on shows faith since you've discarded the obvious signs that you've been wrong 

for example: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/27/bloodletting-is-still-happening-despite-centuries-of-harm/

"It took the great bloodletting wars of the 1800s to begin turning the tide against the practice. The prominent doctor Benjamin Rush (a signer of the Declaration of Independence) set off a fury when he began bleeding people dry during the 1793 yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. By all accounts, Rush was a bloodletting fanatic and in general a real piece of work: “unshakable in his convictions, as well as self-righteous, caustic, satirical, humorless, and polemical,” writes doctor Robert North in a biography."

the fact that its still practiced today(in a harmful way as it was in the past) is indicative of what i'm talking about

"The people that bled people were not ignorant. Definition of ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated."

yeah... and the practitioners of this method lacked the knowledge and awareness to question their belief in it... i don't see how you can deny that

" They may appear ignorant in comparison to the medical professionals of today, but they were knowledgable physicians of their time. Bloodletting is beneficial in certain cases, and it is used in medicine today."

yes they are ignorant when viewed through the lens of our current level of development, which is what i said and you disagreed with

obviously i couldn't have been talking about when these practices were accepted

"ignorant" generally by default has the present day as the context

"When did I deny that Piltdown Man was a lie?"

"" You have also demonstrated your lack of understanding about the continuing progress of scientific study by describing historical knowledge and practices as utilising 'faith', having 'ignorance' and 'pushing lies'.""

you weren't specific so i used piltdown man as an example of a clear lie that was pushed

Peh said:

You are aware that you just labeled all theists on this planet who are also praying as idiots, arf? 

Also: "Besides, even if a theistic deity did hypothetically exist, said deity would not interfere in the affairs of man anyway, making the entire process completely and utterly a waste of time." ,arf. 

You mean deism, arf? Also, that is a claim made by you which you need to provide proof for, arf. 

You are confusing me with someone who actually cares.

o_O.Q said:
lmao give me a direct quote where a scientist has claimed that they have modeled a singularity from the hadron collider... all you're doing is dodging by using various links that describe their expectations

i already know you can't but i suppose i'm waiting for you to admit that you're wrong

it kind of shows too that you don't really understand what a singularity is, but lets see where this goes

No. I provided evidence, which is better than a Quote.

And no. It is not dodging, dodging would be providing no evidence at all. - Rather, hows about you make a basic effort and read the information I provided, watch the video from Bryan Cox who is a Physicist... And try your very best to comprehend it? It's not hard.

I am not your slave, if you want a quote, get one of your own from the information I provided.
And if I am wrong, you need to provide evidence for it, which you haven't done once, otherwise this discussions is one way in my favor.

o_O.Q said:

yeah you did, that's what you told me, whether its peer reviewed or not, its still an article right? lol

I provided evidence that said I didn't.

o_O.Q said:
which one and how so?

Pick one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

o_O.Q said:
i really have to prove that there's a different between an atheist country and a secular country? do you understand what both terms mean?

Did I stutter and say there was no difference? There is a difference, but there is overlap.

o_O.Q said:

uh... what the fuck? did you not in this very post provide links you claim prove that they have modeled a singularity with the hadron collider?

i can't provide evidence for that because you're wrong

I also provided information on what the scientific method entails, go read it instead of making false accusations.

And I never once stated they modeled a singularity but they have a working model of the singularity, which is in the evidence I provided prior. Do keep up.

o_O.Q said:
i think certain aspects of it are debateable

Then you truly are anti-science and anti-evidence... And debating with you about the scientific method will go absolutely nowehere, you already have a confirmation bias.

pleaserecycle said:

The LHC and other particle colliders are used to observe characteristics of elementary particles like quarks, leptons, etc..  Although these properties are significant after the Big Bang, they aren't supporting or debunking the mathematical singularity.  

Correct. And I never asserted otherwise.
The Big Bang was a process and the LHC is explaining a part of that process and so is the CMB.

They are all part of a working model which is what I am trying to drum into that posters brain.

I will be gone for a about 3-4 days, I will only have my mobile device (And screw using this forum on a mobile device! Haha), so I won't be posting. I'll get back to it as soon as possible.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
Hedra42 said:

"For the second time, you have taken a quote of mine out of context. The full quote is "Again, you are confusing belief / faith (where no proof is sought) with hypotheses and theories, for which scientists strive to obtain proof and verification in their quest for knowledge and understanding."

You do not understand the difference between belief/faith, and the methods scientists use in their work."

"What you mean is that ignorance and greed are indispensible attributes of scientists. In fact, what you actually said was: "i think what you are missing is that 'ignorance, greed' are indispensable aspects of the practitioners of science". This implies that ignorance and greed are specifically necessary in order to be a practitioner of science.

Now you are trying to wriggle out of it by including scientists as a subset of humanity and applying the traits to humanity as a whole."

humanity are the practitioners of science... what else could i be talking about?

my last answer

"but i mean what am i supposed to say to someone that doesn't acknowledge that greed and ignorance are inherent to human beings?"

who else besides humans have been the practitioners of science? are you claiming ancient aliens or something?

google's definition - "a person actively engaged in an art, discipline, or profession, especially medicine"

"You asked me if I believed electrons existed. I pointed to evidence that showed images and a video of an electron. You replied that it was a bad example, but the point you were making was that "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence.""

you acknowledged here that i did reconsider my claim about electrons, so why bring it up again?

"I have not said that you think hypothesis and faith are the same, I have said you have confused the two."

using a claim that i already retracted... curiously you didn't acknowledge my replacement claim about singularities i wonder why?

"You are correct that bloodletting practices were accepted as verified treatments.  These were based on the scientific theories and knowledge of the time, backed up by a history of bloodletting going back thousands of years. Within that example, a scientist tested a hypothesis in 1828 to see just how effective bloodletting was on 'flu sufferers. No belief or faith was involved."

well obviously there was since they proceeded to continue using a harmful procedure

when a hypothesis is proven false you discard the experiment... to continue to utilise whatever methods you've been working on shows faith since you've discarded the obvious signs that you've been wrong 

for example: http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/27/bloodletting-is-still-happening-despite-centuries-of-harm/

"It took the great bloodletting wars of the 1800s to begin turning the tide against the practice. The prominent doctor Benjamin Rush (a signer of the Declaration of Independence) set off a fury when he began bleeding people dry during the 1793 yellow fever epidemic in Philadelphia. By all accounts, Rush was a bloodletting fanatic and in general a real piece of work: “unshakable in his convictions, as well as self-righteous, caustic, satirical, humorless, and polemical,” writes doctor Robert North in a biography."

the fact that its still practiced today(in a harmful way as it was in the past) is indicative of what i'm talking about

"The people that bled people were not ignorant. Definition of ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated."

yeah... and the practitioners of this method lacked the knowledge and awareness to question their belief in it... i don't see how you can deny that

" They may appear ignorant in comparison to the medical professionals of today, but they were knowledgable physicians of their time. Bloodletting is beneficial in certain cases, and it is used in medicine today."

yes they are ignorant when viewed through the lens of our current level of development, which is what i said and you disagreed with

"" You have also demonstrated your lack of understanding about the continuing progress of scientific study by describing historical knowledge and practices as utilising 'faith', having 'ignorance' and 'pushing lies'.""

you weren't specific so i used piltdown man as an example of a clear lie that was pushed

my last answer

You are addressing my first point on confusing belief/faith with scientific methods, by giving further analysis on another point of mine which is totally unrelated -  your claim that one needs to be greedy and ignorant to be a scientist. And you have addressed it by pasting the definition of practitioner from Google, lol!

I'm not going to argue any more about this with someone who is obviously in denial.

Uh, because you asked me to show you where you said that a hypothesis or theory is the same as faith. That conversation began with you asking me if I believed in electrons which then led on to your claim "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence," leading to my questioning the level of your understanding of the difference between hypothesis /theory and faith / belief. Check the original post out yourself.

Well all you did was mention the word 'singularities'. I don't know how you'd expect a reaction from that.

You obviously have a short memory, or else you didn't read the evidence you posted on bloodletting earlier on in this thread. The scientist who tested the effectiveness of bloodletting on flu sufferers found that it didn't have any benefit. If you read the evidence you provided for me more closely, you'll see that as medical knowledge improved, physicians had to persuade patients that blood lettings were not necessary. So I maintain - no belief or faith was involved, except perhaps on the part of the patients. From the evidence you provided, physicians generally adhered to verified procedures based on the knowledge at the time.

It may be practiced in a harmful way in certain parts of the world, but bloodletting still has its place in modern medicine in developed countries. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3858087.stm

You didn't say they were ignorant when viewed through the lens of our current level of development. You implied were ignorant, and challenged me to deny it. Just a little reminder for your short memory:

Then perhaps you should do research first before making unevidenced claims  on message boards.

Pemalite said:
Peh said:

You are aware that you just labeled all theists on this planet who are also praying as idiots, arf? 

Also: "Besides, even if a theistic deity did hypothetically exist, said deity would not interfere in the affairs of man anyway, making the entire process completely and utterly a waste of time." ,arf. 

You mean deism, arf? Also, that is a claim made by you which you need to provide proof for, arf. 

o_O.Q said:
lmao give me a direct quote where a scientist has claimed that they have modeled a singularity from the hadron collider... all you're doing is dodging by using various links that describe their expectations

i already know you can't but i suppose i'm waiting for you to admit that you're wrong

it kind of shows too that you don't really understand what a singularity is, but lets see where this goes

No. I provided evidence, which is better than a Quote.

And no. It is not dodging, dodging would be providing no evidence at all. - Rather, hows about you make a basic effort and read the information I provided, watch the video from Bryan Cox who is a Physicist... And try your very best to comprehend it? It's not hard.

I am not your slave, if you want a quote, get one of your own from the information I provided.
And if I am wrong, you need to provide evidence for it, which you haven't done once, otherwise this discussions is one way in my favor.

o_O.Q said:

yeah you did, that's what you told me, whether its peer reviewed or not, its still an article right? lol

I provided evidence that said I didn't.

o_O.Q said:
which one and how so?

Pick one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

o_O.Q said:
i really have to prove that there's a different between an atheist country and a secular country? do you understand what both terms mean?

Did I stutter and say there was no difference? There is a difference, but there is overlap.

o_O.Q said:

uh... what the fuck? did you not in this very post provide links you claim prove that they have modeled a singularity with the hadron collider?

i can't provide evidence for that because you're wrong

I also provided information on what the scientific method entails, go read it instead of making false accusations.

And I never once stated they modeled a singularity but they have a working model of the singularity, which is in the evidence I provided prior. Do keep up.

o_O.Q said:
i think certain aspects of it are debateable

Then you truly are anti-science and anti-evidence... And debating with you about the scientific method will go absolutely nowehere, you already have a confirmation bias.

pleaserecycle said:

The LHC and other particle colliders are used to observe characteristics of elementary particles like quarks, leptons, etc..  Although these properties are significant after the Big Bang, they aren't supporting or debunking the mathematical singularity.  

Correct. And I never asserted otherwise.
The Big Bang was a process and the LHC is explaining a part of that process and so is the CMB.

They are all part of a working model which is what I am trying to drum into that posters brain.

I will be gone for a about 3-4 days, I will only have my mobile device (And screw using this forum on a mobile device! Haha), so I won't be posting. I'll get back to it as soon as possible.

"No. I provided evidence, which is better than a Quote.

And no. It is not dodging, dodging would be providing no evidence at all."

you have not provided evidence that scientists have modeled a singularity despite claiming they have

"I provided evidence that said I didn't."

all you did was state that it was peer reviewed lol how is this mutually exclusive to what i said? whether its peer reviewed or not its still an article

"Pick one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies"

i'm not surprised that you can't back your claim... you're showing a pattern lol

"Did I stutter and say there was no difference?"

ok since you're either dishonest or ignorant i'll clarify that a secular country is one where religion and the state are kept separate and people are free to practice whatever religion they wish

whereas an atheist country is one where religion is outlawed 

an example would be the soviet union

when asked to provide examples of atheists countries that have promoted human rights you struggled because presumably you didn't understand what that means

"And I never once stated they modeled a singularity"

when i asked this earlier you provided a whole bunch of links and claimed that they verified your claim

"Then you truly are anti-science and anti-evidence..."

lol you don't think any aspect of evolution can be debated and you think i'm anti science? lol this has been amusing

Pemalite said:
Peh said:

I'm very sorry, arf. I wasn't expecting this level of immature respond to be honest, arf. I just pointed out the obvious insult towards theists and your baseless claim, arf. But don't worry, I know you don't, I will take a note for future posts on this board about that, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Hedra42 said:
o_O.Q said:

my last answer

You are addressing my first point on confusing belief/faith with scientific methods, by giving further analysis on another point of mine which is totally unrelated -  your claim that one needs to be greedy and ignorant to be a scientist. And you have addressed it by pasting the definition of practitioner from Google, lol!

I'm not going to argue any more about this with someone who is obviously in denial.

Uh, because you asked me to show you where you said that a hypothesis or theory is the same as faith. That conversation began with you asking me if I believed in electrons which then led on to your claim "in the scientific community there is a fair deal of faith in things that do not at present have conclusive evidence," leading to my questioning the level of your understanding of the difference between hypothesis /theory and faith / belief. Check the original post out yourself.

Well all you did was mention the word 'singularities'. I don't know how you'd expect a reaction from that.

You obviously have a short memory, or else you didn't read the evidence you posted on bloodletting earlier on in this thread. The scientist who tested the effectiveness of bloodletting on flu sufferers found that it didn't have any benefit. If you read the evidence you provided for me more closely, you'll see that as medical knowledge improved, physicians had to persuade patients that blood lettings were not necessary. So I maintain - no belief or faith was involved, except perhaps on the part of the patients. From the evidence you provided, physicians generally adhered to verified procedures based on the knowledge at the time.

It may be practiced in a harmful way in certain parts of the world, but bloodletting still has its place in modern medicine in developed countries. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3858087.stm

You didn't say they were ignorant when viewed through the lens of our current level of development. You implied were ignorant, and challenged me to deny it. Just a little reminder for your short memory:

Then perhaps you should do research first before making unevidenced claims  on message boards.

"your claim that one needs to be greedy and ignorant to be a scientist."

you're twisting my words again to run away... what i actually said is that both are qualities that the practitioners of science always have and anyone who's reasoning properly understands that humans are practitioners

" I'm not going to argue any more about this with someone who is obviously in denial."

sure... you're denying that practitioner means person and i'm in denial lol

"Well all you did was mention the word 'singularities'. I don't know how you'd expect a reaction from that."

yeah... in the context of you asking for an example

"You obviously have a short memory, or else you didn't read the evidence you posted on bloodletting earlier on in this thread. The scientist who tested the effectiveness of bloodletting on flu sufferers found that it didn't have any benefit."

yes... which was my point... the people who continued to do the practice did so disregarding the evidence, because they had "faith"

" If you read the evidence you provided for me more closely, you'll see that as medical knowledge improved, physicians had to persuade patients that blood lettings were not necessary."

in some cases yes and in others they did so without persuasion, again because they had "faith" 

"From the evidence you provided, physicians generally adhered to verified procedures based on the knowledge at the time."

which depending on the time period was blood letting... eventually they stopped sure but it was a widely used and accepted procedure for a while

and your use of "general" here is telling don't you think?

"You didn't say they were ignorant when viewed through the lens of our current level of development. You implied were ignorant, and challenged me to deny it. Just a little reminder for your short memory:

uh and are you really saying that these people were not ignorant? are you kidding me right now? lol"

um are you kidding right now

if i say that i was ignorant in the past, wtf does that mean? lol do you know the meaning of the word ignorant?

"Then perhaps you should do research first before making unevidenced claims  on message boards."

i've backed up every claim i've made, i can't force you to accept evidence, that's on you

There are so many quotes and different comment chains that I don't even understand what you guys are debating anymore.