By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood anti catholic bullshit needs to stop

fielding88 said:
epicurean said:

Going back up the thread, it was said that religion was made to control people - I'm just trying to figure out what it is people think religion is trying to control and why. If people made rules to control others, it would make sense there was a reason for it. I just don't understand why they would make a rule against sexuality if there was nothing to gain from it.

So why do you think they do it (unless you think that they don't actually try to control that)?

I think in modern day it hurts them a lot more than it helps, if you're looking at it from a secular viewpoint. I don't understand why they would push it now when it only causes confusion and people to turn away from the church.

Of course, if you believe it comes from God, then they feel like it's how God wants it to be and they don't really have a choice. 

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
epicurean said:
For those talking about the Big Bang - I'm interested to hear the atheist view of what caused it/how it happened. I know this is purely ideas without facts, but the idea that the universe exploded into existence from basically nothing seems very...powerful. I'd love to hear your theories.

My view is that I don't know. Obviously we don't know what happened or how it happened, and I don't get why it's so hard to accept that with our current knowledge we don't have all the answers, and why there's a need to fill in the gaps with information that hasn't been confirmed.

This is an important point. When our knowledge is insufficient, it's easy to put "god" in as a placeholder to explain things away. The problem is that this results in complacency in the idea that god did it, and that's an acceptable answer for some. 

But if you leave a question unanswered, and don't just put god in there, you'll have people come along and try to answer those questions. This can be seen in the works of a man like Isaac Newton and Galileo, among many others, who had the capacity to solve many problems, but stopped short at the majesty of god. Tyson did a presentation on this topic and it was quite enlightening.

epicurean said:
fielding88 said:

So why do you think they do it (unless you think that they don't actually try to control that)?

I think in modern day it hurts them a lot more than it helps, if you're looking at it from a secular viewpoint. I don't understand why they would push it now when it only causes confusion and people to turn away from the church.

Of course, if you believe it comes from God, then they feel like it's how God wants it to be and they don't really have a choice. 

The Catholic Church for one has some strange concepts about things like contraception and in-vitro fertilization. I feel as though they're more concerned with in-vitro than they are with rape (not specifically talking about the pedo thing, just the concept of rape in general). 

epicurean said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

This will never compute unless you stop putting the limitations of living on earth on the origin of the universe. 

If you're in a building you can step outside because there's always an outside. But outside of the singularity was no time and space. There was nothing, you couldn't step outside. You couldn't do anything you'd be less than the size of an atom firstly. 

The universe probably isn't infinite. You can't travel faster than the speed of light so no, you could never travel faster than the universe is expanding. Again, you're applying earth logic to the universe. 

Depends on if we have a heat death or a cold death. The cold death is infinite the heat death is the preferred option. As that would mean the universe would contract itself back into the original singularity and eventually 'big bang' again. 

See, all that seems "controlled" to me. That doesn't point to Christianity, or necessarily even to a "God", but to me (and I don't expect anyone to agree with me) if feels like something that was built, or at least manipulated. Sometimes I think we are just in a computer simulation (like Elon Musk) and "god" is the programmer. In my head, anyway, a lot fits.

It's controlled, nature has to be controlled it would fall apart and none of us would exist. It's controlled by the laws of physics and quantum mechanics. 

If you want to believe god put these in place then sure. I'm just wondering how that links to him putting jesus on a rock of monkeys and sacrificing himself because adam and eve did bad things. Seems a little trivial for such a being.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

KratosLives said:

Just watched 3 billboards outside Ebbing Missouri, and thought it was a great movie, but one scene pissed me off. Comparing the catholic church to a cripps gang , the fact that a priest belongs to the catholic church, he is partially responsible or apart of some pedofile agenda, even though he had nothing to do with it and as a whole the percentage of mistreatment is so low, in the catholic church. The way the scene was played out, basically a catholic, and there are millions of us, should feel ashamed that we belong to a church. What angers me is that there are so many movies from hollywood that love to bash on catholics. Not anglicans but catholics, and the people behind the script and directing it are jewish americans. Now i have no issues with jewish people, this is strictly a hollywood thing. What i'm trying to understand is why there is this agenda? What has pissed them off so much that they want to show off catholics in a nagative light? Also in the movie they made references not so nice to mexicans/mexico, which happens to be a catholic country. Yet the african americans got so much love in this film. I hope oneday this shit ends, and people take more notice and do something about it. 

It’s funny how you blame “Hollywood Jews” for a scene in a movie that was written and directed by Martin McDonagh, a lapsed Catholic raised in Ireland, who went to catholic school as a child. Quick tip: if you need to say “you have no issues” with a particular group, you might want just not say it. Besides, there are plenty of writers and directors in Hollywood who aren’t Jewish. If this is a Hollywood thing, than this isn’t a “jewish” Hollywood thing, as this movie shows.

In any case, I’ve not seen this movie (and I’m not entirely sure I want to after reading about its tone and themes),I will say there is plenty to criticize about the Catholic Church. Of course, I’m saying this as a Jew myself. The most notable and recent thing is, of course, the pedophilia. The “percentage” is irrelevant. What matters is that this abuse was systemic, and the church actively protected the people committing it for decades. This is makes them more than worthy of criticism. Now, YOU shouldn’t feel shame for it, especially given that the church appears to finally be dealing with it, but that doesn’t mean the criticism of the church itself will (or should) just go away overnight.

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
Chrizum said:
Christianity (I'll not narrow it down to just Catholicism) just has a very bad track record. Oppression, genocide, pedophilia... even in today's society many lives are being destroyed by the stubborn and oppresive dogmas of the Christian belief.

Many of these things are attributed to christianity, but in history, they often had nothing to do with the faith or the church itself.

They are attributed to the catholic church, because she is obviously directly responsible for many bad things that happen in the world. For example: The suppression of sexuality as practiced by the Catholic Church (or Islam and other religious) naturally has all kinds of perverse consequences, such as paedophilia or rape.

The Catholic Church continues to prohibit the use of condoms and contraceptives, with catastrophic consequences all over the world.  

However, history and psychology has shown that people who are required to suppress completely normal behaviour are easier to control, even if a few of them drift into extreme behaviour.

ArchangelMadzz said:
epicurean said:

See, all that seems "controlled" to me. That doesn't point to Christianity, or necessarily even to a "God", but to me (and I don't expect anyone to agree with me) if feels like something that was built, or at least manipulated. Sometimes I think we are just in a computer simulation (like Elon Musk) and "god" is the programmer. In my head, anyway, a lot fits.

It's controlled, nature has to be controlled it would fall apart and none of us would exist. It's controlled by the laws of physics and quantum mechanics. 

If you want to believe god put these in place then sure. I'm just wondering how that links to him putting jesus on a rock of monkeys and sacrificing himself because adam and eve did bad things. Seems a little trivial for such a being.

That's a different arguement. :)

Again, I said that apart from any specific religion.

Did physics exist before the big bang?

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

z101 said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Many of these things are attributed to christianity, but in history, they often had nothing to do with the faith or the church itself.

They are attributed to the catholic church, because she is obviously directly responsible for many bad things that happen in the world. For example: The suppression of sexuality as practiced by the Catholic Church (or Islam and other religious) naturally has all kinds of perverse consequences, such as paedophilia or rape.

The Catholic Church continues to prohibit the use of condoms and contraceptives, with catastrophic consequences all over the world.  

However, history and psychology has shown that people who are required to suppress completely normal behaviour are easier to control, even if a few of them drift into extreme behaviour.

And that's also something where theit position can and has changed. As for people needing to control their sexuality at least somewhat. That's just common sense. But we more often then not seem to have drifted into an "anything goes" scenario.

The Catholic Church has always been the target of misinformation and misguided attacks. Unfortunately, this is also probably not the best forum to discuss topics of a philosophical or theological matter as most written replies will undoubtedly start off well-meaning but turn into a mud-slinging argument.

The only message I can share with the OP is that of a highly intelligent man once said(and I paraphrase here),"There are probably not a hundred people who hate the Catholic Church in the whole world, but there are millions who hate the Catholic Church for what they believe the Church to be."

Just keep living the proper way. Reach for success, but never forget to be kind and charitable.
Offer support to those who need it as much as you can, while trying to be the best that God wants you to be.

And yes I'm a proud Catholic who's just trying to live life the best I can.

I game.  You game.  We game.

I'm a videogamer, not a fanboy, but have a special place for Nintendo.

Current Systems Owned: NSwitch/PS4/XONE/WiiU/3DS/2DS/PCGaming Rig-i7/ASUS i7 Gaming Laptop.

Previous Game Consoles:  PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DSL/Pretty much every one thats been released since the Atari 2600.

epicurean said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

That's a different arguement. :)

Again, I said that apart from any specific religion.

Did physics exist before the big bang?

Yup physics by definition needs to be extended to cover the Big Bang (although time didn’t exist before the Big Bang - so there is no before)