By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Hollywood anti catholic bullshit needs to stop

WolfpackN64 said:
Vincoletto said:

This.... cant be real... is it?

It is, the statue was quickly removed. It was just a mistake.

I put a link to the article in my post, it was very much real, commissioned this May and finalized and unveiled in November.... only after a few weeks people started to spread pics of it online and of course since it has a priest offering his loaf to a kids face it wasn't long before.... like most things of this nature in the catholic church.

It was covered up, a real good sign for the church and how they handle these things, you can be happy in the knowledge that it's still going on under there, but now with a sheet over it!

Apparently the "mistake" happened because when the statue existed as a 2d image it was less..... dick like and the kids 2d position would have been beside the priest, the statue maker just bought that to life in 3d and aye, the loaf became far less innocent.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
just reading the topic made me ask the question: "why?"

why does it need to stop exactly? long gone are the days that catholics could impose censorship or dictate how people should think / act.

so turns out the answer (even assuming the premise is a correct one) is no, it doesn't need to stop anything.

So the correct way to organize free speech is through power relations? I don't you understand free speech that well. Any minority can at least demand respect.

Ganoncrotch said:
WolfpackN64 said:

It is, the statue was quickly removed. It was just a mistake.

I put a link to the article in my post, it was very much real, commissioned this May and finalized and unveiled in November.... only after a few weeks people started to spread pics of it online and of course since it has a priest offering his loaf to a kids face it wasn't long before.... like most things of this nature in the catholic church.

It was covered up, a real good sign for the church and how they handle these things, you can be happy in the knowledge that it's still going on under there, but now with a sheet over it!

Apparently the "mistake" happened because when the statue existed as a 2d image it was less..... dick like and the kids 2d position would have been beside the priest, the statue maker just bought that to life in 3d and aye, the loaf became far less innocent.

They covered it up because they realized it was indecent. Luckily much of what went wrong in the church with the child abuse scandals has been adressed. They've taken a much more proactive stance and they have resolved to actually process reports of abuse themselves.

Eh... I think the statue says a lot more about the mindset of the viewer than anything else.

We are obsessed in our fears.

WolfpackN64 said:
setsunatenshi said:
just reading the topic made me ask the question: "why?"

why does it need to stop exactly? long gone are the days that catholics could impose censorship or dictate how people should think / act.

so turns out the answer (even assuming the premise is a correct one) is no, it doesn't need to stop anything.

So the correct way to organize free speech is through power relations? I don't you understand free speech that well. Any minority can at least demand respect.

I think you're a bit confused about what free speech means. Any entity is free to put a movie that paints in any light they see fit any topic. It's actually the OP's suggestion that free speech should be limited by what he/she perceives as offensive.

So please clarify your point, otherwise I'm not sure exactly what you're arguing for.

Around the Network
setsunatenshi said:
WolfpackN64 said:

I think you're a bit confused about what free speech means. Any entity is free to put a movie that paints in any light they see fit any topic. It's actually the OP's suggestion that free speech should be limited by what he/she perceives as offensive.

So please clarify your point, otherwise I'm not sure exactly what you're arguing for.

Voicing discontent is also free speech. I didn't say anything should be censored, but your comment came off quite rude. Anyhow, Hollywood isn't exactly in the position to morally criticise the church.

setsunatenshi said:
WolfpackN64 said:

I don't think he's arguing against free speech (though I could be wrong) but against bias in hollywood.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Religion has been the source of much destruction throughout human history. The Catholic Church isn't the only offender in this regard -- not by any stretch of the imagination -- but it has played a prominent role, because of how successful it has been. It is no wonder that the Church catches flak in movies, especially given the (relatively) recent scandals involving pedophilia.

The argument for a "necessary being" is funny to me. Besides "begging the question," it seems to make no claim as to the nature of this supposed "being," apart from any other singular event or phenomenon (not even to the point of being sensibly described as a "being" in the first place). When pressed on the subject, WolfpackN64 says, "I never said it had to be sentient, interpret being in a wide sense here." Well, if we're not discussing a sentient being -- if we allow ourselves "wide sense" enough to encompass the Big Bang -- then we're no longer discussing the concept of God in any meaningful manner, let alone some specific God like Yahweh. The defense of the argument reduces to "the argument contends nothing in particular," so...

Though I am curious as to how things would have been worse during the Middle Ages without the Church...

WolfpackN64 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Your assumption has to be that there is a necessary being. That is literally the only way the cosmological argument works unless you can prove there was a necessary being.

That's because it's a philosophical argument. Both sides have an assumption and reason towards it. The Cosmological Argument needs a necessary being. That's it's whole argument. Proof is provided in the model of the Principle of Sufficiënt reason. It's the closest you can argue for or against God.

I'm going to state again. It's scientifically impossible to say anything about a necessary being. If it exists, it would encompass all knowledge and all qualities of all beings and objects, past, present and future. Since it's essence is of a limitless quantity, the being itself is the ONLY ONE that can understand his own essence. We can understand parts of it's essence through revelation (theology) or reason (philosophy). Thus, in most cases, and certainly here. This is a philosophical debate first and foremost. And if it didn't exist, we wouldn't know.

No it isn't. If someone provides a God with a specific and unique definition then it can be tested.

Again, there's no reason why this argument is giving the 'necessary being' all of these traits. It's giving the being these traits just because it can. 

But even if we go ahead and say that this philosophical idea is fact, And this being of infinite power of time and space and knowledge of every atom in the universe (jeez) existed, the idea it was doing things for 9 billion years then made this rock, and waited 5 billion years to make some special monkeys and require us to have a pope and wear these special robes and rituals and can only have sex in a certain position etc etc because???? You also have to follow this or bad things will happen..

To go back to your original response this is why I show little respect to Catholicism/religion because the fact that people can read that and their bullshit meters don't go off and not see it's just a system to control people's actions just blows my mind.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

My stance is not that God does not exist, but that I'm not going to believe in any god until they're proven to exist. However, I can say with almost 100% certainty that the Abrahamic God as described by the holy texts cannot exist because of the contradictions that exist within the writings.