By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The X Factor - How much of a boost will the X give Xbox One sales?

Tagging, came here from the "2017 was solid year for Xbox One sales in spite of exclusvies." thread.

I personally dont agree with xbox sales being down overall this year, because of the X releaseing and people waiting to upgrade. That pent up demand, should have been released during the launch + holidays (which so far is what your tables are showing).

Anyways tagging to see if you stick with it, and if it turns out to be right (or wrong as I assume).
If sales drop down to 2015/2016 numbers within 6months or so into the new year, we should know one way or another.

Around the Network
ratchet426 said:
Disclaimer: I am not an Xbox owner so this is just my "outsider" opinion.

I'm not sure where the X1X fits into a cohesive strategy for Microsoft. Sure, it's a big increase in raw horsepower (and that's always nice) but at $499 this late in the generation it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Existing Xbox one owners may be tempted to upgrade, but it seems unlikely that a lot of first-time Xbox buyers will drop 500 bucks to jump into a console generation that has what? 2 years left before the next-gen machines start rolling out?

And speaking of next gen (assuming late 2019, into 2020) what is MS going to do now that they've just released a significantly upgraded current gen console in the X1X? Do they expect all the X1X owners to eat that $499 purchase and buy *another* new console in less than 2 years? Do they expect the X1X to seriously compete with whatever shiny new tech the PS5 brings to the table? It just seems like MS have put themselves into a really awkward marketing position with the X1X. And lets not forget that all of the potential upcoming compelling games that could help push X1X sales will also be available on Windows 10. That's even less reason for new customers to jump into a console purchase.

I don't there will ever be a next gen of consoles like we did in the past. Microsoft is building there current library of game to be a service like steam regardless of which console you own. Your always going to have access to your Xbox one and backward compatible games going forward, eventually there will be games that will no longer work on older version consoles (like iphone or Steam with older PC). 

X1X will have no problem competing with the PS5 especially since we can expect a huge price gap between the two consoles.  I think Microsoft might actually wait till specs are final for PS5 to announce their next version upgrade which will be more like a continuation of the Xbox one generation rather then next gen. The graphical upgrade between X1X and PS5 will hardly be comparable to past generation upgrade. 

Beside, I think we are reaching a peak in graphical upgrade.  The next innovation seem to be virtual reality and that won't come cheap. Won't have the mass market appeal. 

Most people are missing the boat with Windows 10, Microsoft doesn't make money on consoles sales, peripheral, Xbox live membership, royalties on games and DLC contents is were Microsoft make most of their revenues. With cross play between Xbox one and PC, Microsoft is increasing the potential revenues for their gaming division. They are building a juggernaut of gaming.  Soon Microsoft install base will be made up of all Xbox one consoles and a percentage of PC gamers. 

JRPGfan said:
Tagging, came here from the "2017 was solid year for Xbox One sales in spite of exclusvies." thread.

I personally dont agree with xbox sales being down overall this year, because of the X releaseing and people waiting to upgrade. That pent up demand, should have been released during the launch + holidays (which so far is what your tables are showing).

Anyways tagging to see if you stick with it, and if it turns out to be right (or wrong as I assume).
If sales drop down to 2015/2016 numbers within 6months or so into the new year, we should know one way or another.

I expect a 10-20% boost to sales over 2015/2016 or 2016/2017 going forward. If it doesn't reach that boost or sales fall isn't not doom for the consoles. Microsoft consoles is not going anywhere but we probably won't get the extra investment in software we would see if Microsoft consoles became a greater success. 

Microsoft consoles doesn't have the same appeal as Sony worldwide so even if Microsoft does much better it will never catch up to Sony. But, on the other hand Sony has a much smaller lead in America and it will be interesting to see if Microsoft can make up ground.  

SegataSanshiro said:
Not enough to catch up with PS4 and Switch.

Damn I knew the switch was selling fast, must have missed that milestone 

3-4 %

Around the Network
yvanjean said:

The release of the X as had a huge impact so far in Boosting Xbox one Sales.
It will be interesting to compare Xbox one X new consoles sales to the 20% of new consoles that PS4 Pro manage in the first year.

How so?! There was a slight impact during the launch period, caused by the launch and according pre-orders. Atm it seems sales have slowed down a lot already...It was a slight boost of a few hundred thousand, but "huge impact"?! Surely not.

I don't even think it will have a large impact above the launch period tbh. Lower X1 prices would give some boost, as already seen during BF.

The few MS exclusives people would like to play would motivate them to spend 200...yes, but 500?! Not really outside the hardcore fans, who mostly got one already. It's possible sales stay higher than in 2017, which had a 3:1 ratio for most of the year due to people waiting for 1X (at least that's what some people thought), but Microsoft would have to drop the price of 1X considerably (like 399,-) before the end of the year. 

Hiku said:
yvanjean said:

The release of the X as had a huge impact so far in Boosting Xbox one Sales.

Did you take into account the slower weeks leading up to XB1X's release? As in customers who normally would buy a standard XB1 those weeks, but decided to hold off and buy XB1X instead? Because that's not necessarily an increase in sales then.
That's why this is pretty difficult to estimate.

For example, around 20% of PS4's sales are Pro, but that doesn't mean that Pro has given PS4 a 20% boost, or even close to it.

^ this.

Its just some of the sales are converted to a bigger model, not that their selling 20% more because the pro released.
It ll be the same for the xbox one x.

JRPGfan said:

^ this.

Its just some of the sales are converted to a bigger model, not that their selling 20% more because the pro released.

It's still not a bad thing though.
The higher price of the Xbox One boosts the average selling price of the Xbox One platform as a whole, which means Microsoft should be able to get away with some heavier discounting on the Xbox One S.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JRPGfan said:

^ this.

The higher price of the Xbox One boosts the average selling price of the Xbox One platform as a whole, which means Microsoft should be able to get away with some heavier discounting on the Xbox One S.

Doesn’t make any sense when MS is basically selling both consoles at a loss, like they were on BF. At least if the rumour is true that they’re selling X1X at a loss, which I kinda doubt tbh. That’s what made their boasting about biggest revenue in November so ironic, because revenue means nothing if they don’t make a profit.

Errorist76 said:
Pemalite said:

Doesn’t make any sense when MS is basically selling both consoles at a loss, like they were on BF. At least if the rumour is true that they’re selling X1X at a loss, which I kinda doubt tbh. That’s what made their boasting about biggest revenue in November so ironic, because revenue means nothing if they don’t make a profit.

Does make sense. Bean counters love seeing higher revenue, higher revenue usually equates to potentially larger profits later by cost cutting.

Besides... The Xbox One X will not receive the same heavy discounting as the Xbox One S, not in the short term anyway.

Let me put it another way...
You have 100 Xbox consoles being sold...
Now lets say that all those sales are Xbox One S consoles that are heavily discounted, resulting in an extra $50 loss on each unit sold... Microsoft would have lost $5,000 on all those 100 sold consoles combined during that promotion.

But lets say thanks to the Xbox One X... And it's price that hasn't moved, It accounts for 30% of those 100 sales, meaning that the discounted promotion is only being applied to 70% of all sales, meaning you are only loosing out on $3,500 verses $5,000 for every 100 consoles sold during that promotion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--