By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The X Factor - How much of a boost will the X give Xbox One sales?

Hiku said:
yvanjean said:

The release of the X as had a huge impact so far in Boosting Xbox one Sales.

Did you take into account the slower weeks leading up to XB1X's release? As in customers who normally would buy a standard XB1 those weeks, but decided to hold off and buy XB1X instead? Because that's not necessarily an increase in sales then.
That's why this is pretty difficult to estimate.

For example, around 20% of PS4's sales are Pro, but that doesn't mean that Pro has given PS4 a 20% boost, or even close to it.

That's why January numbers will tell us if there a boost or not. Every thing should be back to normal and we can tell if there any more interest in the Xbox one compare to the last two years. 

Around the Network

I think it helps Xbox a lot. I don’t have a PS4 or Xbox only a Switch. I was thinking of buying a PS4 but after seeing the new Xbox one I am leaning more towards the X box. So to me the X is helping a lot.

You are going to keep it for 2018 as well right?

It would be good that X1X hold X1 good sales so MS doesn't feel pressure to release next gen and Sony also hold PS4 longer and when doing next gen the power gap is more significant since what we have now is good, but for next gen on 4k we need more than X1X power and 3y or more would help it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ratchet426 said:
Disclaimer: I am not an Xbox owner so this is just my "outsider" opinion.

I'm not sure where the X1X fits into a cohesive strategy for Microsoft. Sure, it's a big increase in raw horsepower (and that's always nice) but at $499 this late in the generation it just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Existing Xbox one owners may be tempted to upgrade, but it seems unlikely that a lot of first-time Xbox buyers will drop 500 bucks to jump into a console generation that has what? 2 years left before the next-gen machines start rolling out?

And speaking of next gen (assuming late 2019, into 2020) what is MS going to do now that they've just released a significantly upgraded current gen console in the X1X? Do they expect all the X1X owners to eat that $499 purchase and buy *another* new console in less than 2 years? Do they expect the X1X to seriously compete with whatever shiny new tech the PS5 brings to the table? It just seems like MS have put themselves into a really awkward marketing position with the X1X. And lets not forget that all of the potential upcoming compelling games that could help push X1X sales will also be available on Windows 10. That's even less reason for new customers to jump into a console purchase.

I wouldn't expect any new consoles from Microsoft until 2021 at the earliest.

PS5 possibly late 2020.

Put it this way, it took one year extra and $100 more to get an overall 30% increase in power over PS4 Pro. That's a problem you can't get around easily. 

And Microsoft has said they are getting out of the traditional console generation game. Xbox One will just get increasingly more powerful but be one platform. Inevitably older console owners will hit "minimum requirements" but new iterations will be able to play everything ever released for the system, which is gold for licensing fees, and good for developers.

Under older console generation models, sales and licensing fees on the previous generations of games evaporates near completely when the new hotness drops. In context, I get to buy Bayonetta, a 360 game, on my X1X, Sega gets money for work done a decade ago, and MSFT gets a cut. Everyone wins.

Nintendo is back in a big way and Both PS4 and Xbox one took a hit because of it. Still that was huge numbers for Xbox with 1,375,000 sold in December. I would like to see the stats on how many of these sales were Xbox one X. regardless of all the issues, I think the PUBG is a huge release for Xbox and is having people picking up the Xbox one X. Microsoft should really spend money to make this game console exclusive. Bundle every future Xbox one with Minecraft and PUBG.