By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Weekly Hardware Chart - DECEMBER 9TH 2017

Pillertriller said:
I will laugh so hard when i see peoples faces that are hyping the switch to the sky right now, after the hype died in a year or two

No one is "hyping" Switch, the numbers speak for themselves

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

I still dont see how Dreamcast relates, it didnt have a good first year.

Forget the dreamcast.... bad example. 

The important thing is the point I am trying to make. Not everything that does well in its first year goes on to be a great sucess. And theer are other consoles that can show this. 

Same way how not everything that didn't do too great in its first year still went on to be successful. 

Point is, we all need more time for anyone to be able to make a reasonable prediction or analysis.

I got that, but I don't agree with that. Like I said this discussion doesn't harm anyone. If you don't like just pay us no mind.

RolStoppable said:
Intrinsic said:

The important thing is the point I am trying to make. Not everything that does well in its first year goes on to be a great sucess. And theer are other consoles that can show this. 

Same way how not everything that didn't do too great in its first year still went on to be successful. 

Point is, we all need more time for anyone to be able to make a reasonable prediction or analysis.

That's not true. Every system that did well in its first year without receiving a price cut went on to sell big numbers.

PS1 being the exception, was just only better than The wiiu in its first year, sold 100m+ at the end of its life. 

And Switch is pacing to have one of the best first year of sales ever with still huge system sellers unlike some like to point out, there is no way the console will randomly flop after that. If it went to slow down, they just have to put out Animal crossing, a 2D Mario, a pokémon game and a Switch 1.5 like Microsoft and Sony did this gen and It will be back on track.

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

I still dont see how Dreamcast relates, it didnt have a good first year.

I see what you're saying (and I actually agree with you).  But at this point in time I feel confident enough to predict that the Switch will at least outsell the 3DS in the worst case scenario.

What I wouldn't dare trying to predict is its best case scenario.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
ZS said:

PS1 being the exception, was just only better than The wiiu in its first year, sold 100m+ at the end of its life. 

The PS1 isn't an exception, because the argument isn't about starting slowly and picking up after year 1. The DS falls into the same category: Slow start, tremendous sales after year 1.

No, the argument is that every single console that had strong momentum in year 1 (hence no price cut) pulled off strong lifetime sales. That's why "we can't say how Switch will play out yet" doesn't really work. The historic sales data points towards continued great sales, because that is what happened with all consoles that Switch matches up with.

lol Talking about twisting logic to fit your perspective. just because  you have a couple of cases of consoles starting great doesn't mean it will always be like that. wii could have died much earlier, just look at japan is started out like a monster, only sold 12 million ltd. same for N64 in America.

Last edited by quickrick - on 08 January 2018

quickrick said:
RolStoppable said:

The PS1 isn't an exception, because the argument isn't about starting slowly and picking up after year 1. The DS falls into the same category: Slow start, tremendous sales after year 1.

No, the argument is that every single console that had strong momentum in year 1 (hence no price cut) pulled off strong lifetime sales. That's why "we can't say how Switch will play out yet" doesn't really work. The historic sales data points towards continued great sales, because that is what happened with all consoles that Switch matches up with.

lol Talking about twisting logic to fit your perspective. just because  you have a couple of cases of consoles starting great doesn't mean it will always be like that. wii could have died much earlier, just look at japan is started out like a monster, only sold 12 million ltd. same for N64 in America.

This is all you ever do! You only like to highlight sales data when Nintendo fell short, but when someone brings up a scenario where Nintendo did well first year and continued to do well it's somehow invalid. You kill me lol 

PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

This is all you ever do! You only like to highlight sales data when Nintendo fell short, but when someone brings up a scenario where Nintendo did well first year and continued to do well it's somehow invalid. You kill me lol 

I never said it's invalid, i'm just saying that just because switch started  off strong doesn't mean it's  it's guaranteed  to sell like wii, ps2, and ps4 like roll was saying, and then he doesn't include, price cuts which doesn't make any sense.

quickrick said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

I never said it's invalid, i'm just saying that just because switch started  off strong doesn't mean it's  it's guaranteed  to sell like wii, ps2, and ps4.

But you keep bringing up N64 and liking Switch's launch to that, even though Switch trajectory is almost parallel to PS4 in it's launch year. Pushing a narrative that Switch will have underwhelming sales, like you always do 

Last edited by PortisheadBiscuit - on 08 January 2018

quickrick said:
RolStoppable said:

If you think that Rol is "twisting logic" by merely analyzing historical sales trends, the only thing it proves is that you can't understand simple facts about the gaming industry. N64 got a $50 price cut only six months into its life, so by bringing it up, you actually strengthen Rol's point. The only way that your stance makes sense is if you believe that the price of a console has literally zero impact on its sales. You think what Rol said was illogical? Try looking in a mirror.

Last edited by StarDoor - on 08 January 2018