By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's diversity with its exclusive games is becoming uhhh non-diverse as before

Is Sony becoming a little too non-diverse?

Absolutely YASSSS 4 12.50%

Nintendo is even more div... 2 6.25%

Maybe 1 3.13%

A little 0 0%

Sony is the king of diver... 12 37.50%

Not really 13 40.63%

Total:32

You want to talk about "diversity" in games? I'm tired of women being artificially shoehorned into AAA ( Hi Horizon!) titles so as to appease the SJW mob. It's gotten so bad that it's literally ruined them for me. The same goes for movies and TV. At some point, it stops being about diversity and starts being reverse bigotry. At the very least, it's fucking stupid.

Around the Network

True. If you want diversity, go for Xbox. Sony focusses more on QTE fests.

CalmFire said:
If you ignore the overall lineup, sure.

Overall lineup that we've waited for uhh 4 years. :p

I'm not saying that Playstation is not diverse. I said less diverse.I am just not impressed with Sony as I was in the previous generations. Sure they made some strides coming from the year 2014 when all they have was Infamous and Driveclub but the identity or soul of the console is just not as vibrant. I wish they are on their toes but it seems like Sony has other plans and becoming less competitive and are just focused on what currently sells for them as a whole which causes some noticeably genres to fade in the playstation ecosystem which used to be their strength. A niche box which is exactly not a bad thing if done right.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

kurasakiichimaruALT said:

That's not a lot of diversity.

Ni no kuni 2 isn't even exclusive. 3rd Person action adventure isn't even diverse anymore which are what you mentioned.

I give you Dreams.

Shadow of the Colossus? a Remake? Oh please that's not diverse enough.

I don't think you understand what diversity means. A mixture of original IP, sequels, remakes, popular and niche genres, bigger and smaller budgets, first and third party, etc is plenty diverse. Are you sure you don't mean unique? Hard to do that in an increasingly saturated medium (let alone with any confidence in success), but Dreams is about as unique as it gets and they're doing their damnedest to embrace VR.

Let me rephrase it to for everyone. I want more games(not exclusively JRPGs) than what Sony currently offers. Simpler, smaller and double Abudget. Something to keep people entertained while you wait for the bigger games.

They make or commission plenty of those, too. Concrete Genie, Inpatient, Firewall, Blood & Truth, more I'm probably forgetting.

If Sony could waste hundreds of millions  of dollars on a flop like Blade Runner the film... I am confused why they can't do the same it for Playstation when it's their most profitable business.

I'm confused. Do you want niche/risky games with smaller budgets (above) or bigger budgets (Detroit, Dreams)?

Playstation used to be known as a place for niche games and now Nintendo Switch is becoming that console at the pace they are going with.

Support your argument. How many niche games did Nin release last year compared to Sony? How about this year's lineup?

Sony used to provide something different that third party developers don't and I don't see that anymore.

Wth do you call Dreams?

PS4 lacks identity.

Its identity is the home console with something for almost everyone. This is supported by the lower individual game sales but higher attach rates and overall hardware and software sales.

Steam provides something that Sony don't.

Each big platform provides something the others don't.

Switch will be more successful and compelling than PS4 as time goes by.

Starting to think I'm being taken for a ride...

Nintendo invented an amazing console and Sony should be threatened by it if they keep on sticking with their conservative approach on software development.

Why should Sony feel threatened when they just had their best year yet doing everything you just criticized while the Switch hardly competes in the same market?

Bandorr said:

Just because you do not agree with my opinion doesn't mean I'm hacked. People changed as I changed. Just like generations in gaming. Y'know. :)

Now do you agree or disagree that Sony is becoming less diverse with their exclusive output than before in previous generation. That is the question.

You aren't arguing "Sony has no diversity".

You are arguing "Where is my 20+ year old first party Sony exclusives that aren't allowed on even the PC".

Or simply "where are my first party JRPGs" that again.. can't be on the PC.

Which gets really awkward when you bring up the switch for no reason. Which hasn't even gotten the third party exclusives that Sony is/has gotten.

All while ignoring games like Horizon Zero Dawn. A very good first party RPG that is only one PS4.

There was a time when Playstation can do everything. :p

I am arguing that they are less diverse. Less aggressive to push for a difference in the console. PS4 is a 5 year old console and I have been more interested with Switch in ten months than the whole ltd of PS4 cause they are offering something unique from other platforms. That sucks when you think of how long the development cycles of their exclusives. You need to depend on what third party devs offer and right now... PS4 is not offering a unique experience from the likes of Switch and Xbox or PC. That sucks cause my wallet can only be there as my interest wanes.

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:

You want to talk about "diversity" in games? I'm tired of women being artificially shoehorned into AAA ( Hi Horizon!) titles so as to appease the SJW mob. It's gotten so bad that it's literally ruined them for me. The same goes for movies and TV. At some point, it stops being about diversity and starts being reverse bigotry. At the very least, it's fucking stupid.

how is the gender of a main character (in your example, horizon) shoehorning to appease sjw mobs, can you point to a single instance where anyone ever approached the developers demanding they make a female lead? and at the same time, why would horizons main char being female be shoehorning, but characters like Lara croft, faith, 2b etc, are not?

perhaps the problem is you

AlfredoTurkey said:

Why did you bring that type of 'diversity' into this conversation? This is referring purely to the variety of breadth of games available on a particular platform. Social opinions don't really pertain to the amount of unique experiences on can experience with their game console. 

TallSilhouette said:

That's not a lot of diversity.

Ni no kuni 2 isn't even exclusive. 3rd Person action adventure isn't even diverse anymore which are what you mentioned.

I give you Dreams.

Shadow of the Colossus? a Remake? Oh please that's not diverse enough.

I don't think you understand what diversity means. A mixture of original IP, sequels, remakes, popular and niche genres, bigger and smaller budgets, first and third party, etc is plenty diverse. Are you sure you don't mean unique? Hard to do that in an increasingly saturated medium (let alone with any confidence in success), but Dreams is about as unique as it gets and they're doing their damnedest to embrace VR.

Let me rephrase it to for everyone. I want more games(not exclusively JRPGs) than what Sony currently offers. Simpler, smaller and double Abudget. Something to keep people entertained while you wait for the bigger games.

They make or commission plenty of those, too. Concrete Genie, Inpatient, Firewall, Blood & Truth, more I'm probably forgetting.

If Sony could waste hundreds of millions  of dollars on a flop like Blade Runner the film... I am confused why they can't do the same it for Playstation when it's their most profitable business.

I'm confused. Do you want niche/risky games with smaller budgets (above) or bigger budgets (Detroit, Dreams)?

Playstation used to be known as a place for niche games and now Nintendo Switch is becoming that console at the pace they are going with.

Support your argument. How many niche games did Nin release last year compared to Sony? How about this year's lineup?

Sony used to provide something different that third party developers don't and I don't see that anymore.

Wth do you call Dreams?

PS4 lacks identity.

Its identity is the home console with something for almost everyone. This is supported by the lower individual game sales but higher attach rates and overall hardware and software sales.

Steam provides something that Sony don't.

Each big platform provides something the others don't.

Switch will be more successful and compelling than PS4 as time goes by.

Starting to think I'm being taken for a ride...

Nintendo invented an amazing console and Sony should be threatened by it if they keep on sticking with their conservative approach on software development.

Why should Sony feel threatened when they just had their best year yet doing everything you just criticized while the Switch hardly competes in the same market?

A mixture of games with long developments? PS4 may have a diverse library but the wait is too long.

Dreams When was it announced? Wild? Detroit? It took years and it's still not even released and I'm not here for that. Can't call it diverse when it's not even out yet. :p

Why should Sony feel complacent? Do you actually believe Nintendo is not trying to eat Sony's lunch with the switch? haha

Eh, it's more of Sony sticking with what they're comfortable with which is narrative-driven games while branching out a bit like what Media Molecule is doing with Dreams and Pixel Opus with Concrete Genie. I do want Sony to make an JRPG and it doesn't necessarily have to be AAA. It can be a smaller budget game with a good story and good characters. But it really depends on what Japan Studios is doing now.

A mixture of games with long developments? PS4 may have a diverse library but the wait is too long.

Dreams When was it announced? Wild? Detroit? It took years and it's still not even released and I'm not here for that. Can't call it diverse when it's not even out yet. :p

Lol, talk about reaching...

Why should Sony feel complacent? Do you actually believe Nintendo is not trying to eat Sony's lunch with the switch? haha

Do you actually believe they are when they're both retreating to their home turfs (Sony more home focused, Nin more mobile) and focusing on different audiences? They both just had excellent years without stepping on each others toes.