By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling video game system of all time in the US

From the Wii U to this, pretty insane. Grats Nintendo

Around the Network

It just goes to show that with Nintendo, each generation is a whole new ball game. They can fail utterly but come back stronger than ever just a few years later. With the Wii, they switched a decade and a half of decline. Nintendo should never be counted out.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I don't know how come I am just seeing this now.

This is great for Nintendo, massive turn around from the WiiU.

However, this is what happens when you have a launch and a first full holiday window (November and December) within 10 months.

Anyway you spin it though, this is still great news.

Ok so, let's see if i understand.

> Switch is outselling PS4 launch allinied by almost 1 million
> Is unlucky for Switch to outsell PS4 in USA

Lol ok?
The Switch is the only Nintendo system which launched at over 300$ and never saw any kind of pricedrop or promotion (Wii U launched at 350/400$, but saw an official 300$ price in September 2013, with some games in bundle)
The Wii started at 250$ with Wii Sport, just saying.

The 3DS started at 250$, and saw a official pricecut at 170$, results? Switch beat them all.
Oh, and with shortages for most of the year, of course.
Who expect Switch to have bad legs or drop fast is gonna be disappointed.

Switch will outsell PS4 in USA.

And that's why I believe it will grow faster in 2018. My easiest stock market earnings

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Small correction to your post: Wii U was $300/350 at launch.

But yes, the PS4 isn't going to be hard to beat. Its yearly sales hover around the 5m mark while the consoles that sold 40m+ in the USA had years of 7m+. There's no console challenging Switch, so a growing game library is bound to lead to an increase in sales over 2017.

I bought the Zombie U bundle at 390€ back in 2012 in Europe, i thought the price was similar to that in USA, my bad.

But yeah, i don't see PS4 selling 40 million in USA. The 35 million range looks more likely, even with a 2020 release. Current PS4 sales are a bit over 23 million, i don't see PS4 almost double that.

For Switch, after almost 5m in 2017, i see at least 2 years in the 7/8m range, and then a steadily drop to 4-6m years.

RolStoppable said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Ok so, let's see if i understand.

> Switch is outselling PS4 launch allinied by almost 1 million
> Is unlucky for Switch to outsell PS4 in USA

Lol ok?
The Switch is the only Nintendo system which launched at over 300$ and never saw any kind of pricedrop or promotion (Wii U launched at 350/400$, but saw an official 300$ price in September 2013, with some games in bundle)
The Wii started at 250$ with Wii Sport, just saying.

The 3DS started at 250$, and saw a official pricecut at 170$, results? Switch beat them all.
Oh, and with shortages for most of the year, of course.
Who expect Switch to have bad legs or drop fast is gonna be disappointed.

Switch will outsell PS4 in USA.

Small correction to your post: Wii U was $300/350 at launch.

But yes, the PS4 isn't going to be hard to beat. Its yearly sales hover around the 5m mark while the consoles that sold 40m+ in the USA had years of 7m+. There's no console challenging Switch, so a growing game library is bound to lead to an increase in sales over 2017.

This.......and the "hybrid effect" is why the Credit Suisse projection might no longer be as delusional as it sounded when it was first made in September.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/credit_suisse_forecasts_130_million_nintendo_switch_sales_by_2022

duduspace1 said:

This.......and the "hybrid effect" is why the Credit Suisse projection might no longer be as delusional as it sounded when it was first made in September.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/credit_suisse_forecasts_130_million_nintendo_switch_sales_by_2022

That projection seems to be based around the difference in Japanese handheld vs. console sale curves (i.e. the Switch would cap out at ~12m in japan). Then that's applied to the global market. The reality though is, that unlike in japan, consoles do significantly better in the west compared to handhelds. In general that just means that in japan, you can expect signficantly more sales as if it were treated as a console.

Personally i still find predicting Switch sales difficult. It being sold out everywhere (due to supply limits), might have had a non neglectable effect on sales. (yes, human minds are that simple). What's important are the sells now that it's available more consistently. (that's for US and Japan). In the EU, the Switch is doing mediocre at best, likely due to absurd pricing (more expensive than a PS4 in all countries, and in nording countries more expensive than a PS4 PRO).

SpokenTruth said:
Some of the rationalizations and the IF game in this thread are incredible. It must actually pain some people to see Nintendo do well. It's the only way explain the lengths that some are going to discredit this information.

This is literally a worst to first scenario and some people can't even.

Good job, Nintendo. Keep it up.

Yeah well if PS4 launched on a full moon at $99 with a  free waffle maker than it would have easily sold 10 million first month.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

trent44 said:

Found this video while browsing Youtube, I thought it might me commending Nintendo for doing well... turns out some people are not so happy about Nintendo's success...

What ever happened to appreciating a company offering something novel and refreshing?

That's such an absurd reaction that dude in the video has towards a system doing well that I almost find it hard to believe that it's not a parody or something, the fact that he apparently seems serious with that makes it even more hilarious lol.