By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I bought a TV instead of a game console. Wife won the discussion

Fuchigole said:

Samsung 43" FHD smart TV.  In the big picture, it wasn't that bad. It could have been some kitchen appliances instead.

I always say wait, and get what you really want instead of just getting something in the moment.  Personally, i use Rtngs.com for anything on TVs.  My last tv absolutely had to have a fast refresh, and I have a rule against anything under 40 inches.  Not only that, but because of what I do with my PC, I needed more pixel area, so I could have a larger work space.  1080p wasn't going to cut it.  I needed 4k, because I need to  be able to see 4-8 windows on the screen at once, and that's not happening in 1080, regardless of how big the TV is.

So, the price ended up being 850 dollars, but after selling the one I wasn't happy with to my cousin (he was really happy with it), and price matching the new one, it ended up costing me around 550 dollars, or so.  And, I'm still just as happy with this tv today, as I was the day after I  bought it.  I couldn't use it the day of, because I had work, and couldn't actually enjoy it.

Now, would I choose a console over this tv?  No.

However, I would go for all the bells and whistles you need and nothing you don't, (if possible.)

I have the added bonus of it being a 4k DCI, or 4K Cinema resolution screen, (4096 x 2160) and it's great because I have extra space when I want it, and I can play games in wide screen if I choose.

If you're curious, it's a Vizio M50 D1.  I'm glad it's the 2016 model and not the 2017 model, because the newer ones have increased screen lag, and that was the most important feature.  Use this site next time and make sure you know what you want to get out of your tv. :  https://www.rtings.com/

I should also add that I even considered an ultra wide screen gaming monitor, however, due to this TV's size, price, refresh rate, and pixel count, it was the much better deal.  People complain about black bars, but that's just extra screen area.  The only two things that could have made the TV perfect would have been including display ports, and a 120 FPS option.  it's only 60, so, if I want something smoother than that, I have my 144 hz 1ms gray to gray monitor

Last edited by Burning Typhoon - on 04 January 2018

Around the Network

Thats why i dont have a wife.

Hunting Season is done...

Vincoletto said:
Wife always wins. Get used to it.

Not in a good relationship where she actually respects you as an equal. Just saying.

Wife take all money

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Having a TV in the bedroom is a bad idea, regardless...

Around the Network

um...
meow-fitchoo?

Amen, my wife happily let's me buy any console I'd like.  Cheer's on the new TV, and go get a switch.

You guys are a bunch of noobs. i've been married for 6 years ( i know its not that long) but i have finally figured out how to get what i want. For the first two years, i noticed that my wife dictate everything that i buy for myself. So i decided that every time she ask me what do i want for my bday, xmas, anniversary, etc... I say, "I dont want anything or need anything".

For a whole an entire year, i stop buying stuff for myself. But I will buy her nice gifts on every special occasions. For example, We would go to a store, i will spend several minutes looking at some electronics, things that I want for myself (make sure to go shopping with her on that special occasion day) and I make sure that she notices it. When she comes over and say, "Are you buying that?" I would say, "No, i was just looking to see what was new, but i dont want to spend money." Ill put it down and walk away. She will then say, "If you like, buy it.". Here's the secret guys, do not buy it. Instead, say, "its ok, i dont want to spend money." Then ask her,  "Are you buying those? Here give it to me, i will pay for it and we can go grab something to eat.". I will act like this for an entire year and then she will start to feel guilty about it and when she pushes you to get something nice for yourself, that's when you attack. Go get yourself a PS4 or whatever. But tell her, "I really like it, but im not sure if i want to spend money, even though it's the cheapest it ever been." Act like you're struggling about spending money. This my friend is where you will hit the jackpot.

The key is to be patience and be passive aggressive without her knowing that you are. You want her to feel guilty about stuff that she buy for herself without calling her out on it. If you play it right. You will get what you want without the nagging. But remember, you have to use this method responsibly, it can be overused and may lose its effectiveness.

Funny that now it is generalization but posts before the guys were saying they never won an argument in 8 years of marriage.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Funny that now it is generalization but posts before the guys were saying they never won an argument in 8 years of marriage.

I dont know the rest of the guys but I was joking since the beggining but it seeems people did not realize it.