By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo What-If? #7

What would happen if Nintendo bought back Rare?

They'd make whole new games 0 0%

They'd bring back old Nintendo games 3 33.33%

They'd do both 6 66.67%

Total:9

It would be awesome solely for the fact that Nintendo would reaquire Perfect Dark.It would and could be the FPS story heavy for Nintendo.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

My opinion is that Nintendo would have someone like Tanabe oversee game development and then immediately get them started on familiar/safe projects like Donkey Kong and Banjo-Kazooie to give Nintendo an idea of what they have to work with and to get everyone at Rare acclimated to the regime change.  After that, I suspect Nintendo would keep on assigning projects to Rare until they've earned the right to have more creative autonomy.

Aren't most of the key people who worked for Rare during the SNES/N64 era gone?

Banjo/Kazooie, Conker, and Joanna Dark would be in Smash.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Im pretty sure youve made this topic one or two times before.

Anyways I think if Nintendo bought Rare theyd mostly use them for the rights to mascots. Adding in nostalgia to Smash. But theyd probably also fire and hire new employees for a game. What game that would be idk.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
Azuren said:
Banjo/Kazooie, Conker, and Joanna Dark would be in Smash.

Yeah, and like I also said before, Phil Spencer would like to see Banjo/Kazooie in Smash.

Joanna would probably be a moveset clone of Zero-Suit Samus though.

The problem is Microsoft is probably demanding a Lion's share of the profit for that one character. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nintendo should buy both Rare and Playtonic.

And then merge them together.

I LOVE ICELAND!

CaptainExplosion said:
KungKras said:
Nintendo should buy both Rare and Playtonic.

And then merge them together.

Interesting idea, but Playtonic isn't any serious trouble that they need to be bought, like Comcept was so they were acquired by Level 5.

Yeah they're not in trouble, but the resources Nintendo could invest in them could result in some great games. That was the line I was thinking along.

I LOVE ICELAND!

CaptainExplosion said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Aren't most of the key people who worked for Rare during the SNES/N64 era gone?

As I said before, yes, but they're bringing in new talent at Rare that will likely pay off.

It'd be either Nintendo buying Rare, or buying Playtonic since that's where the Donkey Kong Country and Banjo-Kazooie team went.

In that case the only benefit would be to acquire old IP's like KI, Perfect Dark... right?

CaptainExplosion said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Im pretty sure youve made this topic one or two times before.

Anyways I think if Nintendo bought Rare theyd mostly use them for the rights to mascots. Adding in nostalgia to Smash. But theyd probably also fire and hire new employees for a game. What game that would be idk.

Interesting words, coming from someone who sides with that bastard Ajit Pai.

Is there some kind of irony or joke here that I don't get?