By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

When we learn about them, we go through the proposition. Do i have enough reason to believe this is real? Your mum says she has a tea pot in the kitchen. You don't know what it is. "What is this madness you think? Never heard of something like that existing!" Alas, you go in the kitchen and irrefuteable evidence. Your mum has a tea pot. This thing that until now didn't exist in your world, now does.

Everything in reality goes through this. This is how our knowledge of reality is built.

So, yes, whatever we don't know, we assume doesn't exist. Like i said before, if we didn't we would go mental at the possibility of anything and everything popping up outta nowhere at any time. It would be chaos.

This is equally flawed. We are aware that we don't know everything, that's why we don't assume that the unknown cannot exist. If we assumed that only the known exists, then any new thing could potentially drive us nuts.

For example, there are people who assume that no such thing as Nintendo success exists. That's why they go completely bonkers when Nintendo is successful, because they can't comprehend it at all.

It is not flawed. It is how we find out what is real and what is not. Yes, we don't know everything, but it is the method we used towards learning what is real and what isn't. We can't assume things we don't know are real, therefore we assume they aren't until we can prove they are.

Nintendo isn't an object or entity in physical terms. The example doesn't apply either, unless you mean a Nintendo console. That exists, it's provable. Nintendo company of workers is real, it's provable.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Nem said:

Maybe it's the word rejection. But what i'm saying is factually true. Maybe i am not being specific enough that this is how you determine what is real from what is not.

Both researches are real. In that situation you want to find out wich one is more accurate and thats a different can of worms.

You still cannot reject something you are not aware of. I don't know how that is factually true.

Ah, so Amber Heard has not been rejecting my love.  That's a load off my mind.

VGPolyglot said:
Nem said:

Maybe it's the word rejection. But what i'm saying is factually true. Maybe i am not being specific enough that this is how you determine what is real from what is not.

Both researches are real. In that situation you want to find out wich one is more accurate and thats a different can of worms.

You still cannot reject something you are not aware of. I don't know how that is factually true.

That is because your undecided is not a logical stance. It's the lack of one.

"We can't assume things we don't know are real, therefore we assume they aren't until we can prove they are."

This is how reality is determined. I regret that i cannot seem to make you see that.

Nem said:
VGPolyglot said:

"We can't assume things we don't know are real, therefore we assume they aren't until we can prove they are."

This is how reality is determined. I regret that i cannot seem to make you see that.

There is a gap in between the first and second parts. Yes, we can't assume things we don't know are real, but how does that inevitably lead towards the second one?

VGPolyglot said:
Nem said:

There is a gap in between the first and second parts. Yes, we can't assume things we don't know are real, but how does that inevitably lead towards the second one?

I don't understand what can be missing. If we can't prove them to be real, they can't be proven to be real and therefore we can't assume they are. If we can't assume they are real, they are not real until proven otherwise. Theres no in-between state. 

Oh i did notice i was missing a "that" in the sentence.

"We can't assume that things we don't know are real, therefore we assume they aren't until we can prove they are."

Go me posting all this on the Wii U browser. xD

Last edited by Nem - on 13 January 2018

Around the Network
Nem said:
Azuren said:

There's not much else to say. You're arguing against the very meaning of the word.

You really are boring. The definition of the word Atheism is the lack of belief in a god. It is everywhere and is the definition of the word officially recognised. Many people have linked it already on this thread. 

Don't like it? Want to make up your own definition based on the lies fed to you by your religious leaders? Go ahead. Not my problem. But it's total BS and only you and your religious buddies will eat it. Don't expect the rest of the world to. And after that you go and play the victims and want special treatment. Yes, i've seen this sad carrousel before.

Here's the part where you shove your other foot in your mouth; I'm not religious. Not even slightly. But you know, keep making assumptions. Like the ones where you assume Atheism and Agnosticism are the same thing.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

RolStoppable said:
Azuren said:

Here's the part where you shove your other foot in your mouth; I'm not religious. Not even slightly. But you know, keep making assumptions. Like the ones where you assume Atheism and Agnosticism are the same thing.

Atheism is the belief that no god exists.

There, I backed you up, buddy.

Do we need to bring the definitions back really quick? Maybe this whole thread is best enjoyed when we argue over the definition of that word.

Nem said:
VGPolyglot said:

I don't understand what can be missing. If we can't prove them to be real, they can't be proven to be real and therefore we can't assume they are. If we can't assume they are real, they are not real until proven otherwise. Theres no in-between state. 

Oh i did notice i was missing a "that" in the sentence.

"We can't assume that things we don't know are real, therefore we assume they aren't until we can prove they are."

Go me posting all this on the Wii U browser. xD

You made it unnecessary complicated for yourself, arf. Instead of using the term "rejected" you could go with lack of belief, arf.

You can't reject something you don't know or a concept you are not aware of, arf. But you can not believing in one, arf. Since not believing until being aware of something is the default position, arf.

Meaning, you never believed in the almighty God Neko until I told you of his existence, arf. From this moment on you  can  decide to start believing in it ( becoming an theist) or reject the concept of his existence ( stay an atheist), arf. I say "stay" because until then, you were without a God, thus by definition and the very meaning of the word is an atheist, arf. Atheos, where a = without, theos = God, arf.

It is a theoligical position, not a claim on the existence of God, arf.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

oh wow... Pascal's wager in disguise... I sure am impressed by it :)

it's an interesting quote.

I still think with its impact it's infinitely important. Think of all the people it's persecuted and the suffering its caused.

2018 Hit List: Shadow of the Colossus, Detroit, Dreams, Spider-Man, God Of War, Days Gone, Medievil, Tomb Raider 3, RDR2