By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important."

Depends on where you live. In my country and especially my province Christianity is pretty much as non important as any other religion. But it really depends on where you live if Christianity is important for that place and the people who live there. I believe 2/30 students in my class where Christians the rest agnostic or atheist. Anyway I like the non importance of Christianity or any religion within the area I live, because I believe it's a bunch of make believe stories with little to no scientific backing.

But a religion isn't about being scientifically true, but about having faith that your holy book is correct and you trying your best to interpret the text as best as you can and live by the rules. And while I admit that was pretty useful back in the day, we have laws these days and social norms that will pretty much keep most of us in line to begin with. Although I will admit Christians are in general more decent and polite human beings. 

So whether a religion is true or not is of very little importance it's all about enough people wanting to be part of that religion and having faith in the religion. Usually that depends on the established society and the environment you grow up in. That will largely decide whether religion is important to you.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
pokoko said:
that's true for every religion that claims to have control of our lives and afterlives

What I was gonna say.

I'm not necessarily atheist, but I've always loved this quote:

The stories and culture of humanity is important even fantasy stories. Christianity has some good moral values. If it gives people comfort in times of suffering it serves a purpose. Believing what you want to believe rather than what the facts dictate has its uses. When people use religious text of the past to justify oppression of people today obviously that is totally unacceptable. Not everyone can cope with life with a factual acceptance of reality.

I must admit I find much of the text of religions interesting and the history of it. Some is written out of great compassion and some out of hatred but either can be very interesting. It's important documents of our cultures.

adisababa said:
The bible is either fully false or partly false, it cannot be fully true though.

Also, Christianity whether false or true has been important for centuries, it has influenced millions and still does though it has arguably lost its importance in recent times ever since the world wars happened. 

Christians call it the word of God, at least those I had to do with. So, according to them, it is 100% true. 

The bible cannot be partly true because then it cannot be called the word of God.

Also, well, only a few people were in the progress of selecting which scripts made it into the bible. Some of them which were left out of the new testament were also about the life of Jesus as a child. He was murdering other children which opposed him. So, they didn't liked that and only the "good" stuff made it into the new testament.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Christianity still has a significant influence on modern day human history. Saying otherwise is ignorant honestly.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said:
Christianity still has a significant influence on modern day human history. Saying otherwise is ignorant honestly.

You mean like placing intelligent design besides evolution?

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Obviously untrue, and easily provable: look at the influence the religion has had throughout history, that shaped the world we live in today. Even if every word of the Bible was disproven tomorrow, it would still have been a belief system of massive importance (and therefore still would be, due to the effects on the structuring of society, laws, etc).

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Cristian morals paved the western civilization.

If it we're talking about history, not a chance. Churches and congregations had huge impacts in historical events, such as creating universities and even world events like the Crusades. Jesus also teaches more everyday practical lessons, so I could almost see Christianity taking a Buddhism-type form in finding inner peace in that way.

If we're talking about future relevance beyond a point where it has been disproved, as a Christian myself, Chirstianity would be Dead on Arrival. I don't know if it will end up to that point, hell look at all the advancements that have been made, and it still is an integral belief system. You can argue whether or not it's true, but it plays a huge impact.

Peh said:
adisababa said:
The bible is either fully false or partly false, it cannot be fully true though.

Also, Christianity whether false or true has been important for centuries, it has influenced millions and still does though it has arguably lost its importance in recent times ever since the world wars happened. 

Christians call it the word of God, at least those I had to do with. So, according to them, it is 100% true. 

The bible cannot be partly true because then it cannot be called the word of God.

Also, well, only a few people were in the progress of selecting which scripts made it into the bible. Some of them which were left out of the new testament were also about the life of Jesus as a child. He was murdering other children which opposed him. So, they didn't liked that and only the "good" stuff made it into the new testament.

I say that is partly true since the gospels are such unreliable sources, each gospel had pretty different accounts of events. making the bible in itself unreliable. 

I do agree that they chose the best version of what fits their narrative of Jesus the Saviour to better attract more disciples and believers, however, I still think that there is a sliver of truth somewhere hidden somewhere.