By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Female Leads RULE the Box Office

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Ruler said:

But why should you care op as a male? Can you explain to me why you want to have women as lead in films? Are these films maybe offering some fanservice for example? Or is the story somehow better with it? I am just curious, personally i dont watch any movies anymore as gaming replaced it.

Funny questions. 

Didnt you posted a thread the other day about steam kicking a game for pedophiles of the store and got mad about it, a game made for people who " likes " little girls, why you care about it? But now you question OP that is happy female lead movies are sucessfull, movies that have no fanservice for males and are sucessfull to me is a ok, but this is just me.

Like you i am just curious you know. Priorities my man, some are happy more females get cool roles in movies and are happy about , other get mad questionable games aimed at questionable people get censored.

Why do i care? first of all sometimes i do post in movie threads simple because a lot of people talk about them instead about games, so i give my opinion too sometimes. I dont have anything against these films being successful which are listed by OP here, i am just questioning why he likes them or how they are better in anyways over movies who do have male leads? Because no one could answer it so far from the people who were praising these films for having women as the main character. Because again the gender is clearly important for OP and others, so am i missing out on something?

What steam did is not comparable and you shouldnt bring this up like this, the success of these films doesnt mean that now all the sudden other films could be banned, how is it comparable in anyways? This game on the other hand was rated 0 in Japan, had nothing in it that was being pro pedophile ,the description was a mistranslation and the developers was ready to alter anything valve would demand, yet it was still banned worldwide including in Japan and other asian countries. I wouldnt buy this game personally, because its not my cap of tea or any visual novel in general, yet its not okay for valve banning this game, especially worldwide simple because they think they dont like the art style, its too anime..

Around the Network
Ruler said:
Ruler said:

1. But why should you care op as a male?
2. Can you explain to me why you want to have women as lead in films?
3. Are these films maybe offering some fanservice for example?
4. Or is the story somehow better with it

5. i am just questioning why he likes them
6. how they are better in anyways over movies who do have male leads?

1. Because success is noteworthy, particularly when it manifests in new or historic ways.  Rather than whinge about it like a salty hipster, I give it a nod and a thumb's up.

2. Because Ben Affleck would have made a horrible Wonder Woman, for starters.  Gone are the Elizabethan days when females would have to pretend to be males in order to act on stage, and only a fringe audience wants to "Make Acting Great Again" by returning to those times.

3. I certainly wouldn't object if you consider Emma Watson to be fanservice.  Or Gal Gadot, for that matter.  Fanservice is whatever you want it to be and I won't take that away from you.

4. If by "it" you mean female lead, the odds are not in favor of Beau and the Beast bringing in the big box office bucks, no matter how much beefcake it might have.   I don't know of any LGBT movie that managed to crack the Top 100, so having a male take the lead probably would not have been a wise decision.

5. I never said I liked them.  Their box office performance is independent of any opinion I might have.  It's as I've said: success is noteworthy, particularly when it manifests in new or historic ways.  Female Leads have never RULED the Box Office before, but here we are.  

6. Their box office performance.  Not a single male-led movie managed to dethrone Beauty and the Beast this year.  Domestically, male-led movies couldn't even crack the Top Three.  

There are 42 grams of protein in SPAM and ZERO grams of SPAM in protein. Knowledge is power...but power isn't necessarily knowledge...and the brain is a muscle. Muscle is not pronounced the way it is spelled. We live in a messed up world....

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Naum said:
I didn't go and see these movies becuse it had a female lead I saw if for the actual movie.

Female leads in movies is great to see and more should always be welcomed but I didn't really understand what OP meant by saying "Audiences have spoken" because I feel like that implied it was the primary reason people went to see these films instead of just going to see a film that looked good and didn't think anything of it having a female lead because it's been normal for ages now, not something new. 

I know some people were acting like women in leading positions was something that only just recently happened (which sadly at this time plenty of people kept saying that women being in anything was somehow "political" or "SJW" related which was absolutely ridiculous, where have they been for the past few decades) and thought the only way to fight back against that logic was by treating it as a normal thing like it has been to show these people they were wrong.

Edit: I'm editing this comment to rewrite it as to better accurately portray what I meant to say at the time, as my original post was poorly written.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 13 August 2021

This thread is pure gold. Someone frame it, please.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Darashiva said:
Star Wars is honestly a bit of a stretch in that regard. They have more of an ensemble cast with several equally important characters, both male and female, rather than a clear female lead. Otherwise you're right, at least with Wonder Woman and Beauty and the Beast.

Not only that, but the 7th film was almost entirely marketed as a "Who's the main protagonist? Is it him, her, that guy? They all are! Or maybe not?" Honestly I thought Finn was going to be the main protagonist, if anyone had the most marketing I thought it was him. I do remember a lot of people saying it was going to be Ray because of the poster, though. 

FloatingWaffles said:
Naum said:
I didn't go and see these movies becuse it had a female lead I saw if for the actual movie.

This, really.

The OP saying "audiences have spoken" makes no sense here and just looks like reaching for a point that isn't there, because most of the people that went to see these movies didn't go in with the mindset of "Oh, that movie has a female lead? I'll go see that one", most probably went "Oh I wanna see that movie because it looks good".

If audiences have "spoken about anything" it would be that they'll go see a movie if it turns out to be an actual good movie (most of the time at least, some good movies still bomb sometimes), which most of the movies listed there at least have good scores. 

You say that but that's how almost all business in regards to marketing and trying to pull an audience is done. If you notice whenever people talk about this kind of stuff it's always in relation to very superficial benchmarks. A lot of the times when people talk about how we don't see more black leads they instantly chalk it up to black leads being less marketable. It just seems like an endless circle of theory about how to pull in the biggest audience, and sense it's circular it's very hard to approve or disprove it. If you think that having a white lead will make movies more marketable, than you're going to hire white leads, and only blockbusters with while leads will be made. Etc. At this point it doesn't matter if this form of thought was ever logical, because the stats have already been made due to the implementation of the theory.

I honestly think we could've seen a majority female leads in the early 2000's and the results wouldn't be that different. But I don't know much.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Darashiva said:
Star Wars is honestly a bit of a stretch in that regard. They have more of an ensemble cast with several equally important characters, both male and female, rather than a clear female lead. Otherwise you're right, at least with Wonder Woman and Beauty and the Beast.

Not only that, but the 7th film was almost entirely marketed as a "Who's the main protagonist? Is it him, her, that guy? They all are! Or maybe not?" Honestly I thought Finn was going to be the main protagonist, if anyone had the most marketing I thought it was him. I do remember a lot of people saying it was going to be Ray because of the poster, though. 

I felt Poe was the main protagonist in this one. He was planning and doing all that shit.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:

I felt Poe was the main protagonist in this one. He was planning and doing all that shit.

I haven't seen the newest one yet to be honest. Which is why I'm trying not to judge it. The 7th film imo was so bad that I don't think of Star Wars as a priority anymore. I'll enjoy it comfortably on my sofa when it comes to rental on demand or blu ray : ) 

vivster said:

I haven't seen the newest one yet to be honest. Which is why I'm trying not to judge it. The 7th film imo was so bad that I don't think of Star Wars as a priority anymore. I'll enjoy it comfortably on my sofa when it comes to rental on demand or blu ray : ) 

The best way to enjoy Star Wars is having no expectations at all. I don't think the latest one is much of an improvement, but it's still very entertaining. Just don't try to think too hard about anything.

vivster said:

The best way to enjoy Star Wars is having no expectations at all. I don't think the latest one is much of an improvement, but it's still very entertaining. Just don't try to think too hard about anything.

Yep. I actually kind of grew out of Star Wars a few years before episode 7, so the fact that it didn't mean my expectations was pretty shocking. Still, i'm trying not to have expectations for this new one. Which is partially why i'm avoiding it during it's hype/anti-hype all eyez on me period.