By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

OTBWY said:
Nem said:

As much as it sadden me, that is indeed the case. As i said before, this damage is recoverable without trashing the new trilogy. They have to remove it from canon and call it an what-if story. Have Hammil narrate it in the last one. Call it a story that would've happened if they hadn't acted. Make new movies with new actors for Han, luke and Leia and continue where episode 6 left off or close. Don't reject what is established embrace it. Jedi are cool and the soul of the franchise. That tree burning with Yoda was the most idiot thing ever done to the franchise and Kathleen really needs to take responsibility for her calous disregard of the franchise. Also, can we get rid of JJ aswell? He is better used making Star trek.

Indeed. I did not like the way they handled the Jedi. I don't want the nonsense of Jedi being morally grey. Jedi are the good guys. Sith are the bad guys. Give me that classic dynamic.

I don't mind the grey.  But, it needs to be reserved for new characters.  We already have grown up with Luke.  We know how he would react in this situation and it was the exact opposite to what was in the film.  It not only made no sense, but it also made Luke look like a complete bitch.  He fucks up, then goes and cries on an island by himself, leaving his problems for everyone else to deal with.  That is not Luke.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Azuren said:

The difference is Rogue One was a side story. The Last Jedi was a numbered Episode. A 50%+ drop from one episode to the next is ridiculous.

Ridiculous by what standard? What are you proposing to use as a norm for a point of comparison? Simply proclaiming that a direct sequel to a movie is doing (relatively) poorly simply because it didn't sell as well as the previous doesn't make it so. Your personal arbitrary goalposts don't count. There are very few sequel comparisons to make with the available data, but it is worth pointing out that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 has had much weaker video sales than the first GotG despite doing slightly better at the box office and having nearly identical critical and audience reactions. It's also worth pointing out (yet again, months later after it had already been discussed to death) that the second entry in previous Star Wars trilogies had a massive drop in lifetime box office returns versus the the first entry.

That's hardly a comparison, A New Hope had grossed less than Empire Strikes Back after a full year on theaters and only made up the difference on multiple re-releases as it was standard for movies up to the 70's. It indeed happened with the Prequel and Sequel trilogies but a sample of two is a coincidence, not a pattern. Poor reception and declining interest tend to explain those lesser sales much better since we indeed have plenty of examples of this happening across various mediae instead.

NightlyPoe said:
thismeintiel said:

I don't mind the grey.  But, it needs to be reserved for new characters.  We already have grown up with Luke.  We know how he would react in this situation and it was the exact opposite to what was in the film.  It not only made no sense, but it also made Luke look like a complete bitch.  He fucks up, then goes and cries on an island by himself, leaving his problems for everyone else to deal with.  That is not Luke.

So you feel you can accurately predict the reaction of a man who has just committed the greatest shame of his life that resulted in the destruction of his life's work and the murder of who knows how many students?

Characters aren't perfect.  Being angry that Luke didn't shake it off and go out and murder his nephew properly is silly.  It's like complaining that Dumbledore once followed Grindelwald's teachings and even later, when he'd dedicated his life to teaching and had matured into the nearly the man we knew, refused to fight Grindelwald out of his own shame in helping to bring about his sister's death and the vestiges of his own love.

Luke walking away, deciding that the Jedi are a part of the problem, is a perfectly valid take on the character.  Particularly considering he's 30+ years older and would naturally have changed from the man we'd last seen.

This is a problem writers have had with their audience for years.  They try to craft real emotions and flaws into their characters, but the audience rejects them because of how difficult it is to understand that sometimes the characters react in surprising ways to adversity.  X character would never do that, but that's not true.  We've all got our issues.  Luke isn't even a gray character, he's simply a broken one.  In his own way, he's still serving the Light by removing himself from the equation.

Go out and murder his nephew properly?  Someone doesn't get Luke.  Sigh, indeed.

I have a better analogy.  It would be more like if in IW, Thanos made himself known and started destroying the world looking for the Infinity Stones, and while everyone is gearing up to defend the galaxy, Tony Stark is no where to be seen.  When they do find him, he's pouting like a baby because his actions may have helped get his best friend, Rhodes, almost dead and definitely paralyzed.  In the end, he sends one of his suits to some weak ass battle that accomplishes little, but then he dies by his own hand.

Not only would people not accept that and hate on the film, but it betrays his character.  He is an optimist, just like Luke.  Instead, he made his friend an exoskeleton that allows him to walk, again.  The same goes for Luke.  He would not go to some island to pout like a baby.  He'd do something about his screw up.  Even if it meant he had to die in the process of trying to save his nephew and the galaxy.

More importantly, it makes absolutely no sense in either case.  Yes, Rhodes was paralyzed and that deeply upsets Tony and he feels guilty about it.  But, abandoning the entire galaxy to Thanos would just end in Rhodes dying, not to mention hundreds of billions, if not trillions, of people dying with him.  Luke loves his sister and his best friends, and people in general.  He risked his life to save theirs when both Yoda and Obi Wan said he may need to sacrifice them so he may become strong enough.  He's not just going to cry in the corner when Snoke and the Order are going to kill billions, if not trillions, of people if they try to resist.  Including the people he loves and would give his life for.

There's a reason hundreds of thousands/millions of fans, including the actual person who plays Luke, are making it known that this is "not my Luke."  Rian Johnson may have a boner for nihilism and subversion for subversion sake, but that doesn't make him deep.  And it sure as hell doesn't make him right.

Curious how I'm going to look at Star Wars in the future.

I've heard good things about Solo movie, or at least not really bad things like Last Jedi. I do not like the direction the main series is heading. If the continue in this direction, I can almost see me ignoring the main series and thinking of them as like non-canon. Just keeping Episodes 1-6 and funy enough these side stories. So far Rogue One and Solo seem to fit and not piss anyone off. A Boba Fett and Obi Wan movie could also be fine.

So strangely I'm looking more forward to the "Star Wars Story" movies than the episodic movies.

NightlyPoe said:

Luke walking away, deciding that the Jedi are a part of the problem, is a perfectly valid take on the character.  Particularly considering he's 30+ years older and would naturally have changed from the man we'd last seen.

This is a problem writers have had with their audience for years.  They try to craft real emotions and flaws into their characters, but the audience rejects them because of how difficult it is to understand that sometimes the characters react in surprising ways to adversity.  X character would never do that, but that's not true.  We've all got our issues.  Luke isn't even a gray character, he's simply a broken one.  In his own way, he's still serving the Light by removing himself from the equation.

No man...  

Just...   NO.

Around the Network
irstupid said:

I've heard good things about Solo movie, or at least not really bad things like Last Jedi. I do not like the direction the main series is heading. If the continue in this direction, I can almost see me ignoring the main series and thinking of them as like non-canon. Just keeping Episodes 1-6 and funy enough these side stories. So far Rogue One and Solo seem to fit and not piss anyone off. A Boba Fett and Obi Wan movie could also be fine.

So strangely I'm looking more forward to the "Star Wars Story" movies than the episodic movies.

Solo suffers from two problems.  One, it's just a mediocre film.  One that feels the need to explore every single part of Solo's past (except for Jabba, for some reason), including some dumb reason why he is called Solo, instead of that just being his name.  Two, and more importantly, it came out after TLJ.  That movie was just so disappointing to so many fans that they are just done with the series.  Something Lucas couldn't even do with his underwhelming prequels, Disney has done with just one poor excuse for a film.

thismeintiel said:
irstupid said:

Solo suffers from two problems.  One, it's just a mediocre film.  One that feels the need to explore every single part of Solo's past (except for Jabba, for some reason), including some dumb reason why he is called Solo, instead of that just being his name.  Two, and more importantly, it came out after TLJ.  That movie was just so disappointing to so many fans that they are just done with the series.  Something Lucas couldn't even do with his underwhelming prequels, Disney has done with just one poor excuse for a film.

Yea pretty amazing what they did with the new movies. They had the world by the balls after the Force Awakens. Then the last jedi comes out and people are nearly done with the whoel franchise as a whole. It's amazing. Like you said, as much shit as the prequels got and continues to get, they still didn't turn people away from the series.

I always consider a franchise that someone loves like having sex. You may have a bad experience once in a while, but nothing that will keep you from wanting to ever have sex again. The Last Jedi somehow managed to do that. It's like the Last Jedi raped us, and we are now scarred from ever getting intimate again.

irstupid said:
thismeintiel said:

Yea pretty amazing what they did with the new movies. They had the world by the balls after the Force Awakens. Then the last jedi comes out and people are nearly done with the whoel franchise as a whole. It's amazing. Like you said, as much shit as the prequels got and continues to get, they still didn't turn people away from the series.

I always consider a franchise that someone loves like having sex. You may have a bad experience once in a while, but nothing that will keep you from wanting to ever have sex again. The Last Jedi somehow managed to do that. It's like the Last Jedi raped us, and we are now scarred from ever getting intimate again.

Yea, I don't think I've seen a fan backlash this fast and strong.  You start with a record setting film, that while not perfect, at least felt like a SW film and set up some good mysteries.  Then you have a friggin spinoff make more than $1B.  That's a strong brand.  But, then you have a main entry that is so bad, you make ~$400M WW less than the lower end estimates.  It lasts two weeks shorter in theaters than the spinoff.  In fact, after the first two weeks, RO made slightly more money than TLJ did.  Not only that, but it also lead to much lower merch sales.  And then that leads into the first ever SW flop, which will cost the studio ~$80M just from the production budget.  Add in the marketing and it's probably more like $180M.

And I really see nothing coming from Disney signaling that they have actually accepted the backlash and are going to change course.  I think it's going to take Ep 9 making only $900M-$1B WW before they actually do something.

Well, I guess the Last Jedi won some more awards at the Saturn awards.

Continues to prove that critics and award givers are biased and bought and paid for by the Mouse.

irstupid said:
Well, I guess the Last Jedi won some more awards at the Saturn awards.

Continues to prove that critics and award givers are biased and bought and paid for by the Mouse.

It's absolutely fascinating how much of a disconnect there is between critics and media versus a majority of the general audience. That Last Jedi could win any awards is baffling to me