By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - The Fans Have Spoken, Last Jedi Drops A Massive 68%

Vincoletto said:
Lucas-Rio said:

Cut the BS. Nobody ever started to talk about the average EU.

THL just suck as a movie, and sucks even more as a star wars movie. Plain and simple. It has giant hole in its plots, uninteresting story, the destruction of Luke's characters, a uninteresting villain that is  much weaker than the heros and isn't even respected by its own troops.

It's just shitty.

This. Im not even a die hard fan although I watched all episodes a few times. TLJ is not even a good movie. Fun maybe in the 2nd half, lots of explosions and spe ial effets and jokes. But poorly written and edited. Its just a bad movie.

Is very well directed, it has a great artistic direction and very good performances, it is far from a bad movie, whether is great or not has room for debate, I´m  convinced it is, but is debatable, however a BAD film, a dissaster, the worst movie of the year and all that jazz is very far from reality.

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Without spoiling anything, what was so bad about this movie? I haven't seen it yet.

This movie is actually better than the first one IMO.

I think people are just now realising that this new trilogy doesn't make the series justice. That is not a problem of this movie alone, but also e7. Actually, I think e7 is the biggest offender.

This thread is devolving into "It's bad/Nuh uh" arguments.

How about everyone switch to constructive criticism mode instead of just insisting your opinion is more accurate?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

How about everyone switch to constructive criticism mode instead of just insisting your opinion is more accurate?

There's nothing to salvage. The actors are too old for another go.

The ship has sailed now, until they decide to call this trilogy non-canon and redo the whole thing with other actors.

Or reinstate the extended universe. Lol

Not a fan of Star Wars fans. So that makes me more interested in this one. I want to watch The shape of water but it is barely playing anywhere near me.

Around the Network
Vincoletto said:
Even with JJ back for episode 9, I think ep 8 destroyed so much the universe and thew away so many things of ep 7 that I think if they try to fix everything for ep9 it will be an even bigger mess

Sadly, yes.  There is really no way to cover up for what TLJ did.  Luke is dead, with a poor send off, so I doubt he will be returning, even in Jedi ghost form. Rey is no one, so she'll continue to be a Mary Sue.  Kylo's redemption has just been shot to shit, so now we're right back to Rey good, Kylo bad, and I'm not really looking forward to that fight.  You know, since she can always take him on.  Nor am I looking forward to Kylo and Hux whining at each other over who is in charge. Though, I'm sure there will be more cut animals to push toys.

Trying to just force characters to be who they weren't in TLJ and/or ignore plot points, might seem like a good fix, but it still will be jarring.  And the amount of writing and dialogue to cover up some of those flaws would be massive.   The best bet would just be to remake TLJ, keeping what little worked, but reshooting most of the film.  Of course, that won't happen.

Personally, I think they are just going to continue like nothing happened.  Have the story go wherever it goes, without talking much about the "revelations" in TLJ, even if some character's behaviors are off from TLJ.  It doesn't help that one of the people put in charge of fixing it is the writer of the disjointed messes that are BvS and JL.  All I know is I'm not watching the next one unless I can get in for free.  Might not even then. 

Nem said:
Azuren said:

There's nothing to salvage. The actors are too old for another go.

The ship has sailed now, until they decide to call this trilogy non-canon and redo the whole thing with other actors.

Or reinstate the extended universe. Lol

I disagree. I feel it could easily be salvaged if they stopped working about portraying their female lead as perfect and invincible. In fact, it'd be a tragedy and a pretty deep low for the protagonists if Rei was killed by Kylo Ren early in the third movie.

Imagine placing that burden on the much better written Finn: giving him a lightsaber, explaining his skill as a storm trooper as force sensitivity, having Like train an imperfect candidate instead of a damn Mary Sue OC (Don't Steal). His realism (often portrayed as cowardice, which is rightly so considering a realistic response to the events would be to GTFO of dodge) makes him a much more relatable character, and watch his ascent into the status of Jedi would be all the more appealing.

Honestly, I feel like almost every problem in the story comes back to little Miss Perfect. Just from the first movie:

1. Magnificent in close quarters combat. Justifiable, considering her upbringing.

2. Naturally skilled in mechanics. Could be explained for force sensitivity.

3. Arguably better pilot than Han. She maneuvered through a damn Star Destroyer while dealing with planetary gravity. Unacceptable, as she's never tried to leave the planet and has only piloted small transport vehicles.

4. Knows the Millennium Falcon and it's tendencies better than Han and Chewie despite only operating it for a few hours. Abso-fucking-lutely not.

5. First time firing a blaster hits its mark on the second shot. Proceeds to have Han-level accuracy from then on. Could be explained by force sensitivity, but we've got a fucking list of amazing accomplishments already, making it more and more obvious that they just wanted her to succeed.

6. Special enough that a lightsaber passed from father to son should now be passed to her despite not having any confirmed connection to the Skywalker Family. Should she be confirmed to be part of the family, that'd be even more points towards Mary Sue.

7. Full understanding of the usage of the Jedi Mind Trick DESPITE HAVING NO TRAINING OF THE TECHNIQUE, NO KNOWLEDGE OF ITS EXISTENCE, AND GETTING RIGHT ON HER SECOND TRY.

8. Managed to use the Force Pull, again with no training on the technique or knowledge of its existence. This one was shown to be on her first attempt.

9. Managed to best a trained dark Jedi (who killed an entire school of trained Jedi, mind you) in lightsaber combat THE VERY FIRST TIME SHE PICKED THE WEAPON UP.

10. SHES SO GODDAMN THAT CHEWBACCA WANTS TO BE HER BEST FRIEND AND TRAVEL WITH HER IN THE FALCON, WHICH SHE OWNS NOW?

Seriously, fuck Rei.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Nem said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Without spoiling anything, what was so bad about this movie? I haven't seen it yet.

This movie is actually better than the first one IMO.

I think people are just now realising that this new trilogy doesn't make the series justice. That is not a problem of this movie alone, but also e7. Actually, I think e7 is the biggest offender.

While TFA had quite a few flaws, most of those dialed down to unanswered questions and an OP Rey.  These were things a sequel could have addressed and, while not completely, worked towards forgiving those flaws.  This sequel not only chose not to address some of them, it actually made some of them worse, by having outcomes/answers that were disappointing and lead nowhere.

To me, this is BY FAR the biggest offender.  At least TFA felt like a SW movie.  This felt like a bad attempt to make a Marvel film, with out of place humor and a side story that not only goes nowhere, it seemed like it would have fit in any generic Disney flick.  And while I don't mind Luke's character being down, have be a better reason.  Maybe something important he discovered about the Jedi.  Not that his student thought he was going to kill him, so he sulks away without trying to explain himself, and abandons everyone to their own fate.  And his death should have meant so much more.  Have him realize the folly in his thinking.  Go to the base in person.  Show his full power and die saving the rebels.  Instead he just dies cause he got too tired, and he didn't really do anything but stand there with a projection to distract the Order.

d21lewis said:
Movies like this become super blockbusters because of repeat viewing. A lot of people don't want this movie to even exist, much less give it multiple viewings.

Who the hell would watch this again? The movie sucked and it was 2.5 hours long!

Rey feels like a Kirito to me. A Mary Sue/Gary Stu wish fulfillment character with very little development and contrived achievements. There's a person named Troy Leavitt who suggested several adjustments that would make TLJ a better movie.