By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Inspiring speeches

What do you think of the mentioned speech?

It's pretty inspirational to me 0 0%

Not inspiring, but great nonetheless 0 0%

Not my thing 2 100.00%

Total:2

"There were tens of thousands of pilgrims, from all over the world. They were of all colors, from blue-eyed blondes to black-skinned Africans. But we were all participating in the same ritual, displaying a spirit of unity and brotherhood that my experiences in America had led me to believe never could exist between the white and the non-white.1

You may be shocked by these words coming from me. But on this pilgrimage, what I have seen, and experienced, has forced me to rearrange much of my thought patterns previously held, and to toss aside some of my previous conclusions. This was not too difficult for me. Despite my firm convictions, I have been always a man who tries to face facts, and to accept the reality of life as new experience and new knowledge unfolds it. I have always kept an open mind, which is necessary to the flexibility that must go hand in hand with every form of intelligent search for truth.

During the past eleven days here in the Muslim world, I have eaten from the same plate, drunk from the same glass and slept in the same bed (or on the same rug)-while praying to the same God with fellow Muslims, whose eyes were the bluest of the blue, whose hair was the blondest of blond, and whose skin was the whitest of white. And in the words and in the actions and in the deeds of the ‘white' Muslims, I felt the same sincerity that I felt among the black African Muslims of Nigeria, Sudan and Ghana.

We are truly all the same-brothers.

All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the worlds."

Malcolm X

Malcolm X's speech is one of my favorites, as it is a major foundation of my beliefs. To me, it shows that even those considered isolated and bigoted can open up and see the truth for themselves. It only takes help from a community to push people into the light.

Around the Network
monocle_layton said: 

It only takes help from a community to push people into the light.

what did you mean by this

fory77 said:
monocle_layton said: 

It only takes help from a community to push people into the light.

Malcolm X only accepted white people when he realized skin colour truly never mattered. Black people didn't need their own separate nations and states. Instead, America simply needed to treat everyone as equals.

Had Malcolm X never gone to Mecca and seen the truth behind racism, he may have stayed with the NOA and been lost. Once he realized white people aren't evil in nature, he left the NOA, only to be killed by a member after exposing them.

It's why I believe we should inform people instead of just making fun of bigots (of any kind) and throwing them behind. Sure, they may not all change, but what about the ones simply misinformed?

monocle_layton said:

It's why I believe we should inform people instead of just making fun of bigots (of any kind) and throwing them behind. Sure, they may not all change, but what about the ones simply misinformed?

All you do on this sight is make fun of people who have different views though. Like, that's a majority of your comments. 

"Troopers! I have just received new orders. Our superiors say the war is cancelled, and we can all go home. Bison is getting paid off for his crimes, and our friends will have died here... will have died for nothing. But... we can all go home. Meanwhile, ideas like peace, freedom and justice - they get packed up. But... we can all go home. Well... I'm not going home. I'm gonna get on my boat, and I'm going up-river, and I'm going to kick that son-of-a-bitch Bison's ass so HARD... that the next Bison wanna-be is gonna feel it. Now who wants to go home... and who wants to go with ME!" -  Colonel Guile

Around the Network
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
monocle_layton said:

All you do on this sight is make fun of people who have different views though. Like, that's a majority of your comments. 

Truth be told it's why I think I don't belong on the site. I dislike it, and yet I find myself doing it here more often than not. 

It's not because of the internet, because I have small presences on other areas and don't do it there either. I never understood why I'm like this on here, but it does disappoint me.

I know most people will probably read your comment and think, "aha! He's been exposed!", but I don't reject it in any way. You got a point, and in all honesty it ruins any of the half-decent statements I make on here sometimes.

monocle_layton said:

Truth be told it's why I think I don't belong on the site. I dislike it, and yet I find myself doing it here more often than not. 

It's not because of the internet, because I have small presences on other areas and don't do it there either. I never understood why I'm like this on here, but it does disappoint me.

I know most people will probably read your comment and think, "aha! He's been exposed!", but I don't reject it in any way. You got a point, and in all honesty it ruins any of the half-decent statements I make on here sometimes.

That's ok. I mean it is just an internet website, so the standard's for commentary are generally lower. But making comments that persecute yourself is just weird. I mean you made an entire thread about how your friend makes unfunny jokes that are inappropriate for the time and place, but then go into every thread and make political jokes that are the exact same. Thankfully they're not as bad (racist) but it's just ironic. 

Anyways to be on topic, the only speech I've ever thought was amazing was probably King's speech. Sorry to disappoint on such a generic answer. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlY5aZfOgPA

This speech was the symbolic start of the fall of the current western hegemony. The signal that true change is in the air, and unipolarism is a thing of the past. Trully a historic speech and arguably the most important since the announcement by Levitan that Berlin was brought to its knees (OK this is not a speech, but a radio annoucement, but the importance of it cannot be understated).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arJlvynifMc

Last edited by hunter_alien - on 23 December 2017

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

monocle_layton said:
fory77 said:

Malcolm X only accepted white people when he realized skin colour truly never mattered. Black people didn't need their own separate nations and states. Instead, America simply needed to treat everyone as equals.

Had Malcolm X never gone to Mecca and seen the truth behind racism, he may have stayed with the NOA and been lost. Once he realized white people aren't evil in nature, he left the NOA, only to be killed by a member after exposing them.

"Had Malcolm X never gone to Mecca and seen the truth behind racism" so it's not that he was informed, he actually had to do something himself.

a good principle to stand on. i like you

monocle_layton said:

That's ok. I mean it is just an internet website, so the standard's for commentary are generally lower. But making comments that persecute yourself is just weird. I mean you made an entire thread about how your friend makes unfunny jokes that are inappropriate for the time and place, but then go into every thread and make political jokes that are the exact same. Thankfully they're not as bad (racist) but it's just ironic. 

Anyways to be on topic, the only speech I've ever thought was amazing was probably King's speech. Sorry to disappoint on such a generic answer. 

It’s not that I dislike dark humor, but pure edgy humor or distasteful humor is something I dislike. It’s as cringey as Facebook minion memes

Someone can make a witty joke and I’ll like it, but if someone just says a racial slur, why should we laugh? I’m not five years old - who’s gonna laugh from hearing faggot or ‘libtard’ for the thousandth time? By the time I was ten I realized no ones gonna laugh because you say Jew or Fag.

i personally criticize myself if I think I’m wrong. The only thing worse than denying one is wrong is being a hypocrite.

fory77 said:
monocle_layton said:

"Had Malcolm X never gone to Mecca and seen the truth behind racism" so it's not that he was informed, he actually had to do something himself.

a good principle to stand on. i like you

It’s a mixture of his own actions and others. If the Muslim community was racist, he would’ve stayed the way he is