By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSVR thread! - Crisis on the planet of the Apes, better than expected? Livestream footage

Wipout omega collection VR patch....

Love it. 3 100.00%

Like it. 0 0%

Dislike it. 0 0%

Hate it. 0 0%

Mixed feelings on it so far. 0 0%

Other, don't own, comments, indifferent... 0 0%

Total:3
John2290 said:

I'd add another love it to that poll if I hadn't already hit comments. Just coming off of an all nighter with Moss and and BoTU. Moss should be called, oh wow fuck me, because everytime I move into the next scene that's what I say to myself, no wonder it's supposedly short with them going so deep on detail and polished to be one of those games that keeps a smile on your face while playing. I could live in the menu screen of this game, hehe.

So true man...can’t stop smiling myself and I already know I’ll replay it again, probably several time while showing it off to friends.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Errorist76 said:

So true man...can’t stop smiling myself and I already know I’ll replay it again, probably several time while showing it off to friends.

Does that game you were recommending a while back wayward sky I think, hold a candle to this? Is it the same thing without the combat? Surprised this genre works in VR at all never mind this well. Know of anyothers next to those two?

Wayward Sky is nice but not on this level. Still enjoyable tough.

I'd say "Bound" for sure, although very different...but one of the most beautiful games I ever played.

Have you tried the "Starchild" demo yet?

I am astounded as well that other genres works that well in VR. Even real time strategy like "Dino Frontier" or the big hype on Oculus atm "Brass Tactics" (hope it'll come to PSVR as well)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEXbDc3NleE

Now we just need a VR version of Planet Coaster and the ability to do all the coasters in VR!

Errorist76 said: 

Now we just need a VR version of Planet Coaster and the ability to do all the coasters in VR!

John2290 said:

I've yet to play an RTS game I've thought was great in VR but it's one of the genres I really feel can be done well if the right devs done it, like an XCOM, age of empires or starcraft. Maybe it's power constraints? Everything released so far seems to small in scope for me even though Omy Genesis was a fun half hour and I hear good things about No heros allowed. One can only hope Xcom enemy unknown would get a patch as that can run on a toaster.

Ans totally that brass tactics video does look like the most promising yet but still on the small scale, I don't see the need of making everything scaled in that way, not sure why they can't just make a traditional strategy, rts, 4x or god game scaled as if you were playing a traditional one. These VR ones feel like mobile games tbh. 

I don't really see Starcraft going VR, let alone AoE. The games were just designed for M+K and the screen, rather than wands and knuckle gamepads.

I think the RTS genre could definitely see a huge benefit from AR though.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Blood and truth looks amazing. Just waiting on price drop for The Inpatient and Paranormal Actovoty.

John2290 said:

Regardless, it should be doable from the ground up and I can see Xcom and the very least working really well if if it were just with the controller and if AoE / sim city can be done on mobile it can be done on anything. I'm not saying those games specifically I just think strategy games can be that complex in VR iinstead of these watered done partitioned forms we sre currently getting, if done right and it would be amazing. I can only imagine flying round a map in AoE or a cities/tycoon game and having that level of connection to what you are creating, it'd really put the god back into god game. 

Xcom EU would be a good place to start since its already so controller friendly.

Regardless, sacrifices would be made in order to compensate for it being made for VR.

If you've seen how complex SC II is played with pro players, then you'll know very well that it wouldn't be made far more complex via VR. if anything it would have to be simplified and even then micromanagement would take a crippling blow. 

I don't see VR making RTS games objectively superior or better tbh, not with how they are designed and how they are in general.

God games are quite different from military RTS titles. if you want an actual god game, look no further than Black & White, an actual proper god game. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Yeah, Black and white would be perfect but alas, tis a dead series. Eh, maybe these small scale RTS's will grow over time into something more expansive and complex without traditional genre design. As for God games tethered looks like it has potential for a sequel to be good at least. Ah, one can hope anyway.

It is a dead franchise, but that hasn't stopped anyone from making a game similar to it (though not many have even tried).

The genre design has always had it be either Micro or Macro, with designs around building a base and countering your enemy. There isn't really much more to add onto the genre with that and VR. You can have an RTS game on VR, but that's all it will ever be due to how that genre operates. You already look at the map from a near birds eye view anyway.

Battlezone is more the type that would suit VR, due to you controlling a single unit and driving it around a battlefield. 

John2290 said:
Chazore said:

It is a dead franchise, but that hasn't stopped anyone from making a game similar to it (though not many have even tried).

The genre design has always had it be either Micro or Macro, with designs around building a base and countering your enemy. There isn't really much more to add onto the genre with that and VR. You can have an RTS game on VR, but that's all it will ever be due to how that genre operates. You already look at the map from a near birds eye view anyway.

Battlezone is more the type that would suit VR, due to you controlling a single unit and driving it around a battlefield. 

By battlezone you mean battlefeild right? C&C too and like I said befoe Xcom, I did manage to look into whats coming out on pc in these genres (rts, builders, hod games) and O found a few but the most promising definitely has to be Minor Diety https://youtu.be/YFkJQxk3yzA ecompassing all three and near exactly what I imagine, popping in some responsive wrist watch expansive menus could really get the fluidy of play up towards K&M with some lengthy practice. 

I really hope you're wrong about the genres compatiblity with VR man but I get where you have tbe doubts. 

I really think RTS need to be simplified in VR, since one is much more involved physically and complicated menus would be a chore due to the lower resolution. This might change, once headsets with higher resolution become the norm, of course.

John2290 said:

By battlezone you mean battlefeild right? C&C too and like I said befoe Xcom, I did manage to look into whats coming out on pc in these genres (rts, builders, hod games) and O found a few but the most promising definitely has to be Minor Diety https://youtu.be/YFkJQxk3yzA ecompassing all three and near exactly what I imagine, popping in some responsive wrist watch expansive menus could really get the fluidy of play up towards K&M with some lengthy practice. 

I really hope you're wrong about the genres compatiblity with VR man but I get where you have tbe doubts. 

Not Battlefield, Battlezone: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312650/Battlezone/

I'd hate to play Battlefield 1 in VR and that game is an FPS anyway.

I don't really see it as a matter of "being wrong". It's how the genre is in general. Not everything is made uber superior and amazing in VR. People thought decades ago that we'd have flying cars and jetpacks by now, and how those would be amazing, yet tests have shown that they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I have to ask, do you play much of the RTS genre at all?. Because it sounds like you'll only play it if it's headset based only.

Chazore said:
John2290 said:

Not Battlefield, Battlezone: http://store.steampowered.com/app/312650/Battlezone/

I'd hate to play Battlefield 1 in VR and that game is an FPS anyway.

I don't really see it as a matter of "being wrong". It's how the genre is in general. Not everything is made uber superior and amazing in VR. People thought decades ago that we'd have flying cars and jetpacks by now, and how those would be amazing, yet tests have shown that they aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I have to ask, do you play much of the RTS genre at all?. Because it sounds like you'll only play it if it's headset based only.

This game already is on PSVR...that's why we're confused. It was a lauch title. 

Errorist76 said:

This game already is on PSVR...that's why we're confused. It was a lauch title. 

That's what I meant by games *like* Battlezone.