By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 Pro sold 500k in total in Japan, PS4 close to hitting 6m

bubblegamer said:
OTBWY said:

Strange, because the PS4 always comes up in Switch topics. But oh well, t'was only a thought since I have a beloved PS4 Pro and beloved Vita as well besides a beloved Switch.

So you thought why not do it as well? I see.

No, it means people can say what they want as long as it stays on topic. In this sense, since a bunch of data came from Japan these past two days, I mentioned this possibility. You choose to get upset over me mentioning the Switch, and that's not my problem.

Around the Network
bubblegamer said:
OTBWY said:
The Switch will outsell both the PS4 and Vita combined in a few years or less in Japan.

Topic is not about your beloved Switch.

The Pro is doing great! You guys think Sony will upgrade the Pro as well, Ultra PS4 os something lol or is it time for PS5 soon?

PS5 in about 3 years... no need for PS4Ultra.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

bubblegamer said:
OTBWY said:
The Switch will outsell both the PS4 and Vita combined in a few years or less in Japan.

The Pro is doing great! You guys think Sony will upgrade the Pro as well, Ultra PS4 os something lol or is it time for PS5 soon?

I would love a true 4K PS4 model in 2019, but I can see a potential for next gen to just be this gen in 4K/60. Ultimately I would like to see a PS4 Premium built on 7nm APU, with about 3GHz CPU & a ~10TFLOP GPU, paired with 16GB of GRRD5 in 2019, using an SSHD. Then have PS5 arrive with improved tech, and advaned 7nm fabrication in 2022, giving us ~20TFLOPs of GPU power, 64 - 128GB GDDR6 or HBM RAM, and M.2 NVMe Storage. 

The problem is we are in the middle of a battle between CPU power in the current gen, and RAM/Storage formats for the next gen. The PS4's CPU is equalt to slightly better than the Cell in PS3, and we will have 7nm Ryzen CPU's in 2019 that would give us a huge boost. On the other hand 2019 will be to early for new RAM and the move to SSD storage, and a console GPU will only be able to push ~12TFLOP, meaning we ould basically get current gen level games with 4K/60fps performance. There are a lot of other factors as well, which makes it extreamly hard to predict what will hpen going forward. All said, it is going to be very exciting times in the console hardware space over the next decade.

O.P. 

It is great to see the Pro sell so well. I really hope this gives Sony confidence to start treating the PlayStation division with the same dignity that the other divisions recieve. I would love to see them offer A/V level PlayStation Products in the future, the same way we have Premium level options of the Walkman, Bravia, Xperia, and the rest of their products. 

I still believe that Sony has to release a PS4 or PS5 Phone and Handheld if they want to be serious competitors in Japan. With PS4 and PS5 remaining home consoles only, they will struggle to reach 10 million units going forward. Offering a Portable and Mobile with the same library would allow them to reach a user base of 20 - 30 million or more.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
bubblegamer said:

I would love a true 4K PS4 model in 2019, but I can see a potential for next gen to just be this gen in 4K/60. Ultimately I would like to see a PS4 Premium built on 7nm APU, with about 3GHz CPU & a ~10TFLOP GPU, paired with 16GB of GRRD5 in 2019, using an SSHD. Then have PS5 arrive with improved tech, and advaned 7nm fabrication in 2022, giving us ~20TFLOPs of GPU power, 64 - 128GB GDDR6 or HBM RAM, and M.2 NVMe Storage. 

The problem is we are in the middle of a battle between CPU power in the current gen, and RAM/Storage formats for the next gen. The PS4's CPU is equalt to slightly better than the Cell in PS3, and we will have 7nm Ryzen CPU's in 2019 that would give us a huge boost. On the other hand 2019 will be to early for new RAM and the move to SSD storage, and a console GPU will only be able to push ~12TFLOP, meaning we ould basically get current gen level games with 4K/60fps performance. There are a lot of other factors as well, which makes it extreamly hard to predict what will hpen going forward. All said, it is going to be very exciting times in the console hardware space over the next decade.

O.P. 

It is great to see the Pro sell so well. I really hope this gives Sony confidence to start treating the PlayStation division with the same dignity that the other divisions recieve. I would love to see them offer A/V level PlayStation Products in the future, the same way we have Premium level options of the Walkman, Bravia, Xperia, and the rest of their products. 

I still believe that Sony has to release a PS4 or PS5 Phone and Handheld if they want to be serious competitors in Japan. With PS4 and PS5 remaining home consoles only, they will struggle to reach 10 million units going forward. Offering a Portable and Mobile with the same library would allow them to reach a user base of 20 - 30 million or more.

I don't think we are going to see PS5 in 2019.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OTBWY said:

So what? And PS4 is outselling the Switch globally in current sales.

Around the Network
Ruler said:

According to VGchatz Japan had 3.5 Million PS4s before the PS4 Pro launched. That makes it around 1.7 Million PS4s to 500k PS4 Pros since the Pro launched, so around a 1 to 3 adoption for the Pro

Japanese are smart people.

Ruler said:
OTBWY said:

This topic is about Japan, but if we are talking about globally: the Switch is tracking pretty well first year aligned with the PS4. Never speak too early.

Hiku said:
Ruler said:

Demand for the super charged version of the PlayStation 4 has not been exceptional in the country, with it accounting for 8.85% of the total PS4 units sold.  It certainly remains a niche product, even if the current Holiday season, combined with the coming of Monster Hunter World in January and the performance of the game’s own limited edition console seem to have persuaded more Japanese users to opt for the more powerful (and more expensive) solution.

This accounts for every PS4 sold even before Pro came out. Not to be confused with the % of Pro's sold since it launched, which is probably around 20-25%.

i calculated it in my second post over 25%

OTBWY said:
Ruler said:

This topic is about Japan, but if we are talking about globally: the Switch is tracking pretty well first year aligned with the PS4. Never speak too early.

Too early? The PS4 has outsold the switch in almost every week in 2017, in its first year the console wasnt even out in Japan unlike the Switch. And its not even clear if the Switch can outsell the PS4+vita combined in Japan too, thats over 12 million, i doubt the switch can reach that in a view years.

Ruler said:
OTBWY said:

Too early? The PS4 has outsold the switch in almost every week in 2017, in its first year the console wasnt even out in Japan unlike the Switch. And its not even clear if the Switch can outsell the PS4+vita combined in Japan too, thats over 12 million, i doubt the switch can reach that in a view years.

The PS4 released about three months later in Japan. A full year is blatantly false.

To compare the sales now, between to two consoles that released so far apart from each other, is stupid. You can only align YoY and we don't know how the Switch is going to sell in 4 years. Could be better than PS4 or it could not. 

"And its not even clear if the Switch can outsell the PS4+vita combined in Japan too, thats over 12 million, i doubt the switch can reach that in a view years."

It's selling way faster. It's actually tracking about the same as the 3DS there which is at over 20 million. The Vita ain't selling anymore, and the PS4 is selling so-so in Japan. So to presume that the Switch won't pass 12 million in a few years is laughable. Even if the PS4 sells about the same YoY in Japan, let's say 3 million extra, the Switch will most definitely outsell it combined. Globally, too early to say.