By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: Switch sales are “unprecedented” for Nintendo

Definitely exceed their own initial predictions

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Translation: Wii is still our fastest selling console but Switch is right behind it.

roadkillers said:
Color TV Game - Everyone Laughs
NES - Nintendo is #1
Game & Watch - No one pays attention
Gameboy - Everyone loses their shit
SNES - Genesis enters and things become intense, 50-50 here
Virtual Boy - Worst Nintendo System in many peoples eyes...
N64 - Possibly best Nintendo System in many peoples eyes... Oh wait, "Plummer Boy, your worst nightmare has arrived."
Gameboy Color - Oh yeah, they have a handheld with Pokemon. You're fine Nintendo
Game Boy Advance - NOTHING WILL STOP NINTENDO!!!
Gamecube - Well, it was nice knowing you Nintendo
Nintendo DS - Best Selling System of all time. To-shay
Nintendo WIi - A console and a handheld that is selling hotcakes?? Goodbye Playstation and Xbox
Nintendo 3DS (original launch) - "They can't even outsell the DS. Luckily they still have the Wii and DS"
Nintendo Wii U - "What a stupid name, Nintendo is going third party"
Nintendo Switch - "Unprecedented"

Of course these are all taken out of context. The point is never count these guys out, they stick to their 'old school' culture because it has kept them alive for over a century. It will be interesting since the Switch could become their next handheld and console... I would assume that would be bad for business

Whoa man Game & Watch sold 43 million

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

superchunk said:
While this is awesome, I want to know how many they shipped for post black friday because I am now seeing them in stock at every store I go to. Though its amazing the overall sales considering there have been zero price reducing bundles.

They've been very readily available in most regions since September. The stock shortage isn't a thing anymore, and many stores still have a lot of Switches left after Black Friday (the price drops for PS4 and XB1 stole the show).

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
superchunk said:
While this is awesome, I want to know how many they shipped for post black friday because I am now seeing them in stock at every store I go to. Though its amazing the overall sales considering there have been zero price reducing bundles.

They've been very readily available in most regions since September. The stock shortage isn't a thing anymore, and many stores still have a lot of Switches left after Black Friday (the price drops for PS4 and XB1 stole the show).

Definitely not true out here, AZ. I did not see any stock until in any store or on Amazon until late November.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
roadkillers said:
NES - Nintendo is #1
N64 - Possibly best Nintendo System in many peoples eyes... Oh wait, "Plummer Boy, your worst nightmare has arrived."
Gameboy Color - Oh yeah, they have a handheld with Pokemon. You're fine Nintendo
Nintendo WIi - A console and a handheld that is selling hotcakes?? Goodbye Playstation and Xbox
Nintendo 3DS (original launch) - "They can't even outsell the DS. Luckily they still have the Wii and DS"

Of course these are all taken out of context. The point is never count these guys out, they stick to their 'old school' culture because it has kept them alive for over a century. It will be interesting since the Switch could become their next handheld and console... I would assume that would be bad for business

Whoa man Game & Watch sold 43 million

Did not see that coming.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

superchunk said:

December is historically by far Nintendo's biggest month of the year, generally much larger than November. So one would expect giant shipments for this month. I know that Nintendo is unusually December favored even compared with the other big console players

Azuren said:
superchunk said:

they've been generally available in the USA but some regions still are somewhat tight. This is a good thing though as it would be expected that Nintendo supplied a LOT of systems for the holiday period, especially December. If we weren't seeing them in stores I would be concerned Nintendo dropped the ball in putting enough out.

Even the Wii U had at least one fairly big December, it's a great month historically for Nintendo 

although I do have to wonder if Nintendo might start to consider ignoring a fewwww spots in Europe. I always hear about Scandinavia having loads of them in stores; Nintendo stop sending them there! Japan needs as many as they can get 

anyway overall good news.  it's Nintendo, and that means Mario + Pokemon + Zelda + everything else, so you sort of expect them to do well, but after how disastrously they handled the Wii U.... this has to be a nice sigh of relief as far as not getting screamed at by shareholders haha

roadkillers said:
NES - Nintendo is #1

SNES worldwide handily beat the Genesis (I think like 50/60 million versus like 30/40) but overall that mostly seems to be accurate summarizations 

Megiddo said:

I mean, if it's "one of" the fastest pace in Nintendo's history then I'd hardly call that unprecedented. Switch has had a fantastic first 9 months. Keep it going.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

"He called Switch’s sales “unprecedented” before adding that its pace “is one of the fastest in our own history and in gaming history.”"

Pinkie_pie said:
How is it unprecedented when its not even the fastest selling gaming system?

VGPolyglot said:
If it's unprecedented, wouldn't that mean there is no precedent? If it's one of their best-selling that must mean that a precedent has already been established.

Miguel_Zorro said:
I don't think unprecedented means what Reggie thinks it means.

“The fact that we reached 10 million units sold on a global basis and we’re not fully through the holidays is unprecedented territory for Nintendo.”