By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GPD Win 2 handheld gaming PC for $699

Pictures of the GPD Win 2 prototype have hit the web these past few months, but GDP revealed the specs for its 2nd-generation handheld gaming PC just a few days ago. The new model has a bigger screen, a faster processor, and an improved keyboard to help set it apart from last year's model which you can currently pick up for around $400.

GPD has announced that the GPD Win 2 will sell for $599 during an Indieogogo campaign set to launch on or around January 15th. When the little computer hits retail stores in April, it’ll sell for around $699.

They gave some hinters on performance:

Some hands-on and gameplay:

Specifications:

• 6 inch, 1280 x 720 pixel capacitive touchscreen display with Gorilla Glass 4
  • Intel Core M3-7Y30 Kaby Lake processor with Intel HD 615 graphics
  • 8GB of LPDDR3-1866 memory
  • 128GB M.2 2242 SSD (user replaceable)
  • microSD card slot
  • 802.11ace WiFi
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Stereo speakers
  • Dual 4,900 mAh batteries (9,800 mAh, 37.24Wh total)
  • Dual vibration motors
  • USB 3.0 Type-C, USB 3.0 Tyep-A, micro HDMI, 3.5mm audio.
  • 162mm x 99mm x 25mm (6.4″ x 3.9″ x 1″)
  • 460 grams (1 pound)

Links:
https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-win-2-handheld-gaming-pc-sell-699-599-indiegogo-campaign.html
https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-win-2-details-emerge-including-pre-release-benchmarks.html

https://liliputing.com/2017/12/gpd-win-2-handheld-gaming-pc-new-design-6-inch-screen-core-m3-processor.html

---
Looks expensive to me. EDIT: It is.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 19 December 2017

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Around the Network

Very nice indeed

Your pictures are all broken for me. There's a cute chinese kid on the placeholer image though.

SuperNova said:
Your pictures are all broken for me. There's a cute chinese kid on the placeholer image though.

Really? I linked the Baidu imagess, guess you can't hotlink.
I'll reupload them.

EDIT: They should be working now.

Last edited by TomaTito - on 17 December 2017

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

I've never even heard of the original GPD Win. I googled it, and it just looks awful. Launched at a $450 USD. No physical games, and almost no onboard HD, meaning you need to drop money into a memory card to download your games. The analog stick placement is way wrong. The only thing good about it is the 6-8 hour battery life. 

Ok, now that I can see the images they've improved on the original model. Replaceable SSD, even better battery life, and a lot of nice doodads thrown in. What's the launch price going to be? 

Edit: $699? Damn. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 21 December 2017

Around the Network
TomaTito said:
SuperNova said:

Really? I linked the Baidu imagess, guess you can't hotlink.
I'll reupload them.

EDIT: They should be working now.

Yup! All good now! :)

Looks nice. I'd love to try one, but I can't see a scenario where I would use it instead of my Switch, Vita, 3DS, tablet or smartphone, when I'm on the go.

Last edited by Conina - on 17 December 2017

Cerebralbore101 said:

I've never even heard of the original GPD Win. I googled it, and it just looks awful. Launched at a $450 USD. No physical games, and almost no onboard HD, meaning you need to drop money into a memory card to download your games. The analog stick placement is way wrong. The only thing good about it is the 6-8 hour battery life, but I wonder how long that would really last playing PC games at 60 FPS/1080p.

Ok, now that I can see the images they've improved on the original model. Replaceable SSD, even better battery life, and a lot of nice doodads thrown in. What's the launch price going to be? 

Screen is 720p like the Switch, but battery size is more than double of that inside Nintendo's hybrid.
It has a CoreM (plus the M.2 SSD) which I think will make it expensive, we'll see the price next month.

They gave some hinters on performance: "For example, try playing Grand Theft Auto 5 on the GPD Win, and you’ll be stuck looking at about 20 frames per second, use the GPD Win 2 and you get 38 fps. Overwatch jumps from under 30 fps to more than 70. And DOTA 2 jumps from just over 30 fps to 70 fps."

Here are some examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA7zN5ie96w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZv3F8PG4rU

And the boot-up time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDaSjZyQRgk

Last edited by TomaTito - on 17 December 2017

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

TomaTito said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I've never even heard of the original GPD Win. I googled it, and it just looks awful. Launched at a $450 USD. No physical games, and almost no onboard HD, meaning you need to drop money into a memory card to download your games. The analog stick placement is way wrong. The only thing good about it is the 6-8 hour battery life, but I wonder how long that would really last playing PC games at 60 FPS/1080p.

Screen is 720p like the Switch, but battery size is more than double of that inside Nintendo's hybrid.
It has a CoreM inside it, which I think will make it expensive, we'll see the price next month.

They gave some hinters on performance: "For example, try playing Grand Theft Auto 5 on the GPD Win, and you’ll be stuck looking at about 20 frames per second, use the GPD Win 2 and you get 38 fps. Overwatch jumps from under 30 fps to more than 70. And DOTA 2 jumps from just over 30 fps to 70 fps."

How much do you think it would cost to get 500GB (non-SSD of course) of storage for this? Digital games don't work well for a handheld unless you have enough storage for a lot of games. Otherwise you're just downloading and deleting things constantly. 500 GB would be the minimum acceptable storage for a digital only handheld platform. 

Edit: I just noticed they fixed the analog stick placement for the GPD Win 2. Analog sticks on the outside of the face buttons are much better. Otherwise you're reaching over four football fields with your thumbs just to push the analog stick to it's inwardmost position. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 17 December 2017

Conina said:

Looks nice. I'd love to try one, but I can't see a scenario where I would use it instead of my Switch, Vita, 3DS, tablet or smartphone, when I'm on the go.

I guess if you have all of that then you dont need one.  But this is more to play PC games and emulators on the go. There are plenty of videos of people playing Gamecube and even Wii games on the original GPD, which means they will run a lot better on this.

EDIT:  I think Microsoft dropped the ball on this one.  I think THIS should have been the X1 portable.