By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - PS Vita: What could have been…

Could a PSP 2 have sold as much as the 3DS, if it had been significantly better supported and planned?

Yes 9 36.00%

No 16 64.00%

Total:25
trent44 said:
SegataSanshiro said:

No they didn't. NEC did with Turbo Express in 1991. SEGA Nomad also did it in 1995.

Turbo Express and SEGA Nomad were actual home console games on the go, much like the Nintendo Switch, while PSP games were "console-like".

Though, prior to the Nintendo Switch, console gaming on the go was hardly experienced by anyone (i think only 1.5M Turbo-Expresses and 1M Nomads were even ever made).

So no, Sony did not originate the concept (heck tons of people already had the idea when they first played Tetris on Game Boy and Tetris on NES), but Sony did pioneer the way for that concept to be experienced beyond just a handful of people into a viable market. (to which they then horribly squandered with the PS Vita)

From PSP to Nintendo Switch is the natural evolution and expansion of this market. Sony missed the boat... hard

No Sony did not. Turbo Express was not a home console. It was just a  portable that couple play PCE games,it could not hook up to the TV like Nomad. Hence it was a portable with a console experience.

Around the Network

I imagine the Vita could have been a more successful device with more support, but what I feel held the system back was the price and the games. It was too pricy at launch and they didn't change it for a long time, which held it back. As for games, while it did have some, I don't think it had enough to warrant a purchase, and gradual drop of support from Sony didn't help either. Those are the 2 main points I feel caused a slow end for the system. Oh, a different name may have been good as well.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Lacking Pokémon and Ninty 1st parties, definitely no, but had it kept Monster Hunter and with better Sony support (*), it could have been a far more successful 2nd ranking portable, just like PSP was.

(*) Edit: including far better marketing, obviously

Last edited by Alby_da_Wolf - on 18 December 2017

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It’s marketing more than anything that hurt them..... the same way it hurt the Wii U and the Xbox One x

way it

mM

They launched UNCHARTED, KILLZONE, god of war HD, JaK HD, ratchet and clank, half of psp’s library..... they just didn’t market it right

mM
Around the Network
leo-j said:
They launched UNCHARTED, KILLZONE, god of war HD, JaK HD, ratchet and clank, half of psp’s library..... they just didn’t market it right

I think the marketing of a single PS4 COD game probably exceeded 6 years of ALL Vita marketing combined (and by probably a very large margin).

Sony choked the baby before it even got home to the cradle.

trent44 said:
leo-j said:

I think the marketing of a single PS4 COD game probably exceeded 6 years of ALL Vita marketing combined (and by probably a very large margin).

Sony choked the baby before it even got home to the cradle.

It's not their fault! The voices told them to do it!    

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Why is this General discussion ?

KLXVER said:
friendlyfamine said:
The original PSP was outsold by the DS.

All for one simple reason, really.
Price.

and...you know...better games.

Disagreed. Stating that the DS outsold the PSP due to better games is almost equivalent to saying the Wii outsold the 360 and PS3 for the exact same reason.

You know it isn't true.

Yes, the DS had its fair share of gems, but those did not sell the console. Games like Cooking Mama, Mario, Nintendogs, Brain games, MySims, Fashion games, Pokemon...even Hannah Montana and High School Musical, sold millions for the DS. Obviously, these games aren't particularly bad, but they pander to a casual demographic who don't care for the more quality games such as Contra and Castlevania, which would ideally be competing with good PSP games.

I hear you OP, but you got a few things backwards.

For starters, the Switch isn't a handheld primairly, it's a Home System. So, if Sony wanted to go the Hybrid route, they'd have to scrap the PS4, which ain't gonna happen.

The entire Switch model uses the Home System as basis. Games cost $60, they're of the highest quality, which is the direct reflection of not having a second Home System for developers to co-develop for. To get Switch-like results, Sony has to abandon the PS4, otherwise there is no ammount of money and resources that will guarantee them the kind of games they would need to make a proper case.

Also, the Vita is merely a portable you can play on TV. The Gameboy was already like that and not that many people used it that way. The Switch is completely different, it's a Hybrid that uses the Home Console experience as basis. It is a Home Console first, portable second, in terms of approach.

Sony could do that, but they won't because they can't.