By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Square Enix happy for Switch’s success, system could get sequels to older IPs, more

C'mon Square, Just give me a TWEWY 2 and a new Chrono Game :(

Yosuke Matsuda, the president of Square Enix, has spoken quite a bit about Switch as of late. Matsuda recently said that the company is interested in bringing past titles to the system, and noted how it’s “a very attractive and important platform”.

Matuda had even more to say about Switch in an interview with The Telegraph. First, when asked how Switch has changed how Square Enix looks at developing and designing games, he said:

“(Laughs) We announced this in our yearly results as well, but certainly the really great thing for us is to see how the Switch is selling so well, it’s doing incredibly well, which is nothing but a good thing for us. As a publisher and developer of games, we obviously want to get our games onto as many different platforms as possible, and so obviously having a broad range to choose from can only be a good thing for us, so certainly seeing Nintendo’s hardware selling so well and doing so well, getting our games on that can only be an advantage for the company, so we’re very happy about it. Like I said, it makes our portfolio even more broad and even more bountiful.”

Later in the interview, Matsuda was asked about balancing existing IPs and new franchises. That led him to eventually again mention how Square Enix wants to revisit its past, and perhaps consider “doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future”.

He said:

“We really want to do both of those in equal balance. Obviously we’re going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we’ve been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well.

Certainly the Switch, as well, because it has sold so well and is doing really well at the moment, there’s a number of previous game IPs that we’ve got that we didn’t make continuations of those series sequels for in the past, and I think maybe looking into doing some of those kinds of sequels to older IPs on the Switch in the future is something we’d like to look at.”

The other noteworthy tidbit from Matsuda: he said that the plan going forward is trying to make all of Square Enix’s games available on all platforms, which includes Switch.

Source 1 and Source 2

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

"Obviously we’re going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we’ve been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well."

Glad to hear they're focused on more than just remasters. This gives us some hope for a second Chrono Trigger! How sick would that be? Or an Illusion of Gaia remake and sequel? So much good can come from SE if they try.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

IkePoR said:
"Obviously we’re going to continue making new games, and for the older IPs as well, not just the remake/remasters we’ve been doing, we want to create sequels and new games in those series as well."

Glad to hear they're focused on more than just remasters. This gives us some hope for a second Chrono Trigger! How sick would that be? Or an Illusion of Gaia remake and sequel? So much good can come from SE if they try.

I do not think they own Illusion of Gaia, Quintet was the developer, Enix merely published it in Japan, While Nintendo brought it to America, unless I'm wrong, SE cant do anything about it

Juma009 said:
IkePoR said:

I do not think they own Illusion of Gaia, Quintet was the developer, Enix merely published it in Japan, While Nintendo brought it to America, unless I'm wrong, SE cant do anything about it

Yeah, didn't realize they didn't own Gaia.  I looked up Quintet and it seems like they went under around 2000-2001 but they seem to still be ghosts somewhere in Japan, with their staffs names appearing in modern game credits.  Very strange situation.

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Juma009 said:
IkePoR said:

Correct, but I do wonder what's the state of the IPs that Quintet developed. We got Actraiser on Wii Virtual Console so maybe SE does have the rights, somebody has to and because there's so little to go off of, we just don't know. 

OP:

This is interesting, touching on franchises that didn't have continuations. That sounds a lot like Chrono series, maybe a new Mana game. The World Ends with you 2? The possibilities are endless. What a great time to be a gamer. 

Around the Network
Ljink96 said:
Juma009 said:

Correct, but I do wonder what's the state of the IPs that Quintet developed. We got Actraiser on Wii Virtual Console so maybe SE does have the rights, somebody has to and because there's so little to go off of, we just don't know. 

OP:

This is interesting, touching on franchises that didn't have continuations. That sounds a lot like Chrono series, maybe a new Mana game. The World Ends with you 2? The possibilities are endless. What a great time to be a gamer. 

wasn't there a rumor of the world ends with you 2 getting announced soon? would love this if true.

I would not mind another crystal chronicles.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Good Square Enix. Now go make some games.

If you like square enix, get a ps4. 99% of their games this gen are on the ps4 and 99% of their future games will also be on the ps4

Hey Square Enix, while you're praising the Switch. How about talking with Nintendo about Super Mario RPG 2?

Pinkie_pie said:
If you like square enix, get a ps4. 99% of their games this gen are on the ps4 and 99% of their future games will also be on the ps4

Well I’m looking forward to Octopath Traveler on Switch. Plus haven’t played the Bravely games yet.