By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The new PS4 Pro model CUH-7116 is quieter than the original CUH-7000 models

Sony have to keep updating consoles to get the best price on fabrication of chips. It never stands still. I'm sure late next year or into 2019 there will be another revision based on a better fabrication process again. Hopefully at some point the standard ps4 will be abandoned or made into a hybrid console and the pro will become the standard level ps4 with the ps5 as the advanced more powerful model.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Hard to say based on one comparison.
My friends Star Wars 1200 PS4 is pretty quiet. You can just barely hear the high pitch whine of the fan here and there. His console sits horizontal. He bought his a few weeks before I bought mine from the same store.
My Uncharted 1200 PS4 is quite a bit louder and the whine is much louder and comes and goes a lot more often. It sat horizontal as well. I've applied new MX4 paste and that helped a little. I tried the console in a vertical position and its just as loud as before, but the whine is basically gone now.
The stock paste on my 1200 PS4 was decent quality and was in good shape after a year. I also had the better quality, supposedly quieter fan brand as well, which was odd since I assumed that my buddy probably had the better fan and I had the worse one. The whine my fan made, only started after a couple months of use btw.
I even had a good look at the heatsink to see what kind of imperfections it might have and it was very flat and machined very well. I could have polished it down and allowed slightly better contact, but I don't think it would have made much difference since it was pretty smooth already.
I've heard a couple other PS4's close up, a 1000, 1100, and 1200. The 1000 was fairly quiet, the 1100 was as loud as mine, and the 1200 was jet engine and had a super loud whine. I really do wonder if it has to do with a mixture of day to day assembly, fan brand and quality, as well as varying chip quality.
My PS2 and PS3 slim were both dead silent. My PS4 never goes jet engine, but makes noticeable noise. The whine was irritating and bothered me, but now that its gone and just the natural fan noise exists, its not really a big deal.

That's really disappointing to hear. The Chinese production tolerances seem to be pretty big then. Assuming it wasn't just dust causing the load and sound you mentioned. The type of game seems to make a huge difference as well, hence why the OP did the comparison the way he did.

I can't get passed "more quiet". The new PS4 Pro model is "quieter" than the previous model.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Errorist76 said:

That's really disappointing to hear. The Chinese production tolerances seem to be pretty big then. Assuming it wasn't just dust causing the load and sound you mentioned. The type of game seems to make a huge difference as well, hence why the OP did the comparison the way he did.

The dust inside the console was just enough in a few places to be able to see it was on the plastic with a finger swipe, so really clean. I was quite surprised when hearing the other console models. Everything I had read and most of what I had seen on YouTube led me to believe the 1000 would be jet engine and the 1100 quieter and the 1200 whisper quiet. Ended up being the opposite though. They all were in the open and were in clean spaces, so I would have to assume that wasn't a problem. On every console I played UC4 and BO3, except for the one 1200, I played Doom and it was insanely loud and annoying. My 1200 spins up quite a bit with Doom, but nowhere near that bad.

My buddies 1200 fan acts just like mine. Speeds up and drops at the same times on the same games. His is just quieter. Both our consoles have plenty of room to stay cool as well. Really seems like there can be major variations between PS4 consoles. We both bought our slim PS3 at the exact same time and same store back then, and mine has always been dead silent, while his was slightly noticeable most of the time. There is definitely a larger difference between our PS4's though. What I really wonder is why my fan started to whine after months of use, while my buddy says his did it from day 1. I'd also like to know why the whine is basically gone now that my console stands vertically.

Some games it is very quiet, but on average it is a little noisy. I'm not sensitive to sound in general either, and not many sounds easily annoy me. It doesn't bother me anymore now that the whine is gone and I do still feel lucky overall. Seeing and hearing some of the horror stories about loud consoles over the years, I've been really lucky and don't mind the PS4 being a touch loud overall. I would be more than happy to see a larger PS5 if it ends up very quiet.

Thats actually a big differnce.

But its messured at 20cm from it, most people sit like 1,5m from their TV's not 20cm close to it, so the "real" experiance would still be alot more quiet Less noisy than this.

Normchacho said:
I can't get passed "more quiet". The new PS4 Pro model is "quieter" than the previous model.

It makes sense in danish... doesnt work in english tho :p

Around the Network

Here in Germany more and more media are reporting the new model to run substantially more silent and cool. Shrunken chip sizes, due to improved production techniques seem to be the obvious reason...which gladly goes hand in hand with lowered power consumption.

shikamaru317 said:

Part of me wishes I had waited a year. My launch model Pro is much louder than I'd like when playing Pro enhanced games, there are times when it gets louder than my launch model 360, which was the noisiest console I ever owned previously. It honestly does sound like a jet engine at times. 

Yeah its quite strange that there is a day and nigh difference for certain games, like in Nier Automata which is total quiet, except if you get to the desert while its storming. Its mostly for certain 60fps games.

I don't get bothered by fan noise, so even when sometimes PS4Pro gets noisy I don't care much, it hardly harass my playing enjoyment.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Normchacho said:

It seems like my English isn't the worst on VGC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."