Forums - Movies Discussion - Star Wars: The Last Jedi Box Office

WolfpackN64 said:
General reception seems to be very positive. But you always have that band of hardcore neighsayers.

I don’t think so. General reception seems to be very mixed.



Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
OTBWY said:

Really?

The general reception is 65% on Rotten Tomatoes and 55% on Metacritic from the audiences. I think it's rather the usual band of nerdculture hihi praising non-ST fans that give this movie a pass.

Really, so because I enjoyed the movie I'm not a Star Wars fan? That's nonsense. The problem is that people with a negative view of the movie are quicker to express this, that has always been the case.

The biggest problem with this movie, I believe, is that many fans analysed it to death and so, they didn't get the movie they expected. For me, that's a sign Rian Johnson is willing to take needed risks with the franchise and if he has to upset some fans that still plot characters by power level on a graph, so be it.

You can enjoy what you like, but I just used your example which basically dismissed people that didn't like it as a band of hardcore naysayers. Isn't that nonsense?

The biggest problem with this movie is that many fans, who grew up watching the original trilogy, got disappointed with the long awaited prequels, are now not taken seriously anymore because The Star Wars fandom has suddenly grown by bandwagoners who don't even know basic trivia of the originals don't care that Disney has made something that has gone off from what made Star Wars, well, Star Wars, are just cheerleading these films with all their might because that's the cool thing you know. To sum up my long sentence, Star Wars fans with real grievances are ridiculed for basically being passionate about a well loved franchised. Fuck them for being whiny nerds right?




Volterra_90 said:
OTBWY said:

Really?

The general reception is 65% on Rotten Tomatoes and 55% on Metacritic from the audiences. I think it's rather the usual band of nerdculture hihi praising non-ST fans that give this movie a pass.

In this day and age, everything that's really, really popular (and there's nothing more popular than SW tbh) tends to have a polarized reception. That's not surprising. TFA will have a better reception because they played safe. I find really funny than when they tried to do something different, everyone was like: "THIS IS NOT STAR WARS". And when TFA came: "THIS IS JUST A REHASHED EPISODE IV". What I mean is that it's impossible to please everyone. I loved the movie, and I can assure you I'm a huge SW fan. And I wanted exactly what they did. A shake up in the franchise model. Something different but great.

That's bollocks. To make a very quick example (looking at your avatar): Mario Odyssey was really positively received from both professional critics and general audiences alike. Especially from their own fans (Mario is the most popular video game franchise btw).




OTBWY said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Really, so because I enjoyed the movie I'm not a Star Wars fan? That's nonsense. The problem is that people with a negative view of the movie are quicker to express this, that has always been the case.

The biggest problem with this movie, I believe, is that many fans analysed it to death and so, they didn't get the movie they expected. For me, that's a sign Rian Johnson is willing to take needed risks with the franchise and if he has to upset some fans that still plot characters by power level on a graph, so be it.

You can enjoy what you like, but I just used your example which basically dismissed people that didn't like it as a band of hardcore naysayers. Isn't that nonsense?

The biggest problem with this movie is that many fans, who grew up watching the original trilogy, got disappointed with the long awaited prequels, are now not taken seriously anymore because The Star Wars fandom has suddenly grown by bandwagoners who don't even know basic trivia of the originals don't care that Disney has made something that has gone off from what made Star Wars, well, Star Wars, are just cheerleading these films with all their might because that's the cool thing you know. To sum up my long sentence, Star Wars fans with real grievances are ridiculed for basically being passionate about a well loved franchised. Fuck them for being whiny nerds right?

Then old timey fans are just as well ridiculing themselves if they keep bashing everything that comes out, good or otherwise. And I would consider myself a long-time fan.



WolfpackN64 said:
OTBWY said:

Really?

The general reception is 65% on Rotten Tomatoes and 55% on Metacritic from the audiences. I think it's rather the usual band of nerdculture hihi praising non-ST fans that give this movie a pass.

Really, so because I enjoyed the movie I'm not a Star Wars fan? That's nonsense. The problem is that people with a negative view of the movie are quicker to express this, that has always been the case.

The biggest problem with this movie, I believe, is that many fans analysed it to death and so, they didn't get the movie they expected. For me, that's a sign Rian Johnson is willing to take needed risks with the franchise and if he has to upset some fans that still plot characters by power level on a graph, so be it.

I think you are attacking the straw man here and oversimplifying much of the issues people have with this one.

Besides, I'm sure the reception of SW movies tend to drop with time and not the other way around (case in point, episodes I and VII, perhaps VI as well.



 

 

 

 

 

Around the Network
OTBWY said:
Volterra_90 said:

In this day and age, everything that's really, really popular (and there's nothing more popular than SW tbh) tends to have a polarized reception. That's not surprising. TFA will have a better reception because they played safe. I find really funny than when they tried to do something different, everyone was like: "THIS IS NOT STAR WARS". And when TFA came: "THIS IS JUST A REHASHED EPISODE IV". What I mean is that it's impossible to please everyone. I loved the movie, and I can assure you I'm a huge SW fan. And I wanted exactly what they did. A shake up in the franchise model. Something different but great.

That's bollocks. To make a very quick example (looking at your avatar): Mario Odyssey was really positively received from both professional critics and general audiences alike. Especially from their own fans (Mario is the most popular video game franchise btw).

Yeah, I really didn't mean to generalize, but it sounded like I was doing that, so I apologize for that. I'd say that happens in a lot of cases, not every case possible. It's pretty hard to please your most hardcore fandom and the casual crow, so in some cases, specially when the franchise is widely popular, is pretty, pretty hard. I must say Nintendo did a ace work with SMO, but it seems it's not the case with The Last Jedi. But, well, I thought it was an A+ movie, so in the end I'd say that's what matters to me. 



KLXVER said:
I haven't seen any of the new Star wars movies. Arent they just "Hey! Remember the original trilogy? Heres 2 hours of references to that."?

The Last Jedi isn't that. In fact that's where the audience's mixed reaction seems to be coming from. The biggest complaint against The Force Awakens was that is basically a A New Hope remake. Say what you will about The Last Jedi. It is it's own movie. It takes a lot risks. I think those risks are causing the divisiveness.



Darc Requiem said:
KLXVER said:
I haven't seen any of the new Star wars movies. Arent they just "Hey! Remember the original trilogy? Heres 2 hours of references to that."?

The Last Jedi isn't that. In fact that's where the audience's mixed reaction seems to be coming from. The biggest complaint against The Force Awakens was that is basically a A New Hope remake. Say what you will about The Last Jedi. It is it's own movie. It takes a lot risks. I think those risks are causing the divisiveness.

Agreed, it would be pretty easy to please the fandom and casual movie-goers with these movie. Just throw some fan service and people will be pretty happy about it. Now, they really didn't play safe with this movie, so I really appreciate Disney because of that. This movie will be more appreciated with time, I'm pretty sure of it.



Volterra_90 said:
OTBWY said:

That's bollocks. To make a very quick example (looking at your avatar): Mario Odyssey was really positively received from both professional critics and general audiences alike. Especially from their own fans (Mario is the most popular video game franchise btw).

Yeah, I really didn't mean to generalize, but it sounded like I was doing that, so I apologize for that. I'd say that happens in a lot of cases, not every case possible. It's pretty hard to please your most hardcore fandom and the casual crow, so in some cases, specially when the franchise is widely popular, is pretty, pretty hard. I must say Nintendo did a ace work with SMO, but it seems it's not the case with The Last Jedi. But, well, I thought it was an A+ movie, so in the end I'd say that's what matters to me. 

What WolfpackN64 said was nonsense that I hate. People don't hate out of nothing. When you see someone of something you love fucking up, wouldn't you react as well? It comes from a place of loving something so much, that you rather have people not make anything at all. If you ask me, the new movies were not needed. I'd rather have something completely new, or set way back in time (Old Republic). That way there is room to do something new and take risk with the conventions. But it seems that Disney wanted to use a little extra nostalgia bait by tying it in with the original trilogy. It sucks in my opinion.




Yeah I’m not trusting audience meta critic reviews. So many neck beard rants about the movie. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan, but Jesus. It can’t be that bad