By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS - End of an Era

(No, this isn't a post about 3DS sales ending. That hasn't happened yet.)

Ever since the Gameboy, handheld consoles (primarily Nintendos) existed as an alternate (and competent) development avenue for developers, to make games that focus more on story and gameplay rather than pushing graphics (for obvious reasons). These games often required much less money to be spent on development, so smaller studios could shine on those systems as well.

With the 3DS on its way out, there won't be a medium where these games shine as the primary ones. Granted, Indie games do exist, but since they're sold at a fraction of other games on consoles, they won't be viable for big studios to make, and they're rarely going to be on the same scale as what we've seen on handhelds (with exceptions of course, i.e. Shovel Knight). And they'll obviously be outshined by big AAA games on those same systems, with higher expectations from the userbase.

Granted, the 3DS wasn't a system of basic graphics (with some very pretty games like RE: Revelations), but it was still far behind compared to the home consoles. With the Switch being the successor to both the 3DS and WiiU, there won't be a dedicated device for these smaller games, where they stick out and not get outshined by massive studio games.

Thoughts on this subject are appreciated.

Around the Network

Yeah, it will be a bit more difficult to create low-budget games, especially since every console is essentially HD nowadays, but I hope that from the release of the 360 in 2005 to now, that the costs have decreased significantly enough for those developers to be able to make lower-range games at a decent quality at least on the Switch. That's what excites me about the Switch.

While they may not be the main focus on the Switch, it still makes for a great platform for them and I'm certain we're going to see a lot of them go along with the higher production AAA games, so it'll just be a nice combo of games on it.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

It was nice having a Gameboy or 3DS because they were separate, contained consoles. Different games, didn't buttons, different graphics, feel and different UI. It was an entirely different market to home consoles and now that's gone away.

The way I look at it, this is the end of the “second era” of nintendo portables.

“Gameboy line” 1989-2004
“DS line” 2004-2017
“Switch” 2017-

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

I think we are about to enter a time of portable bliss. Games will be built to run on everything from Switch to XOX, and I fully expect Sony and Microsoft to evetually offer their library in a mobile form factor at some piont as well. The extra power actually makes it much easier to deliver great mobile expereinces, as devs have a lot of overhead for simpler titles with portability in mind.

The best part is we will have the ability to play all games on the go or at home. So people that have never been interested in mobile devices, but wanted mobile games will have the oppertunity. The same goes the other way, where people that prefered portables, but wanted access to AAA games, will now have access to those as well. Basically everybody wins, and the breadth of titles on every platform expands!

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

The Switch is essentially getting the games Vita was getting with the smaller niche Japanese games. They are just shifting to Switch.