By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch will probably have best 3rd party support for Nintendo platform from SNES

Darwinianevolution said:
In terms of quality releases, I agree. Companies are going to make a killer either makingsmaller projects or old PS360 ports, free of the regular competition they could find on the other platforms (not to mention the excellent indie support the Switch is and will continue to have). In terms of quantity, nope, nothing is going to surpass the amount of games the Wii and DS got.

When you include Indie the Quantity and Quality of Switch 3rd party support will be lightyears better than the Wii and will rival the DS. It will basically combine DS level 3rd party with a best ever 1st party.

Around the Network
Podings said:
I was gonna bring up the GameCube, but someone else was quick to.

Switch is unlikely to enjoy as many comtemporary multiplat titles as that, at least not from the big developers.

What is likely to happen is that all small-to-medium sized indie games will want to be on Switch, and that could quickly be more games than the GameCube ever had.

EA, THQ and Activision, I agree, but in the cases of Ubisoft and the Japanese Publishers, on the other hand, I have to strongly disagree.

Add to this the strong support from smaller and Indie Publishers like Nicalis, 505 Games or Devolver Digital, which are more than replacing the smaller games Big western Publishers still produced at the time (The western Publishers only release about a quarter of the amount of games annually they released just 10 years ago) and you get some heck of a lineup for the following years to come

Podings said:
I was gonna bring up the GameCube, but someone else was quick to.

Switch is unlikely to enjoy as many comtemporary multiplat titles as that, at least not from the big developers.

What is likely to happen is that all small-to-medium sized indie games will want to be on Switch, and that could quickly be more games than the GameCube ever had.

That statement might depend on some factors. 

How do we define AAA back then and how do we define it today? The problem is that there aren't really all that many AAA games made today as compared to back then. I remember the PS2 have a huge number of retail releases which were not available on gamecube. Most of the AAA games are multiplayer online focused. Not that many cross platform single player focused experiences. The Switch will do well in terms of single player experiences but not so well with the online ones unless Nintendo has some pleasant surprises in their paid online service which would make these titles more playable. 

In terms of the companies that make multi-plat single player Nintendo already has current and continued support assured from the Bethesda. Capcom, Square, and Namco are promising big things and there's some massive support from Sega already with Valkyria Chronicles Bayonetta. The fact that the Switch is a single player focused device does proclude the system from some multiplayer focused experiences like Battlefront and the like. These days 3rd party simple isn't what it used to be in terms of single player experiences. There are some good dev's and the best of which is on board with Switch but you gotta make these types of games as a 1st party like Sony and Nintendo does. Or else you end up with a games as a service dominated system like Xbox. 

The third party content on the system will be fantastic. But it will be more on the exclusives side of things. 

Miyamotoo said:
Podings said: 

Why do you think that? Switch can easily have more multiply titles from big developers than GC had from reasons that I mentione, and like we seeing, how time is passing much stonger support will be from big developers.

I of course hope you're right, but I see it as unlikley because of the power gap and the knowledge of Nintendo player preferences.

Red Dead Revolver was on GameCube. I don't think Red Dead Redemption 2 will be in Switch. And I think more cases like that will arise.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

First I wrote that Switch probably will have best 3rd party support after SNES (saying that Switch will have similar 3rd party like N64 doesnt make any sense beacuse N64 had around 300 games LT). Second Doom and Skyrim were just released, EA still didn't coment Fifa sales, while Take Two said they are satisfied with NBA 2K sales on Switch, juding to eShop Doom and Skyrim have good sales on Switch. Also Capcom, SQ, Bandai Namco...they all said they are satified buy Switch sales and promesid much stronger Switch support. Switch cartridges prices will no effect on sales of Switch games for those who already own another console because portability is what is game changer for those people in any case. 3rd parties will continue supporting and releasing games for Switch until Switch and their games sell good.

Also, about ours previous debate, Nintendo done it again, they announced Bayonetta 1 and Bayonetta 2 just around two months before launch.

So, we have one western company saying they are satisfied. 
Would be better if they said it was above their expecations, though.

Yes, japanese developers were happy... with ports, where gamers - in Japan, specially - didn't really have a whole lot of new games to play.
Not wanting to call that irrelevant, but i also remember really bad games doing really well because they were launched with Wii.
I'll wait a little more to see if the new batch of games keep the trend.

Thing is, GC, despite missing some of the big names, did have a lot of support, in terms of name and variety.
What I see happening is, Switch also losing big names (mostly because the HW just can't take it), but also not having the variety GC had. Even if we look by today's standards. Which means, Switch will have a lot of Indies, but the regular games, not so much.
Don't forget that selling a lot of Nintendo HW doesn't, usually, spell success for 3rd parties.

Not everyone is crazy about portability, and of those who are, will, according to your logic, forget that they will pay more and have the worst version of the game.
I honestly doubt portability will be that much important in the coming years. But that's me.

Yes, they announced B1-2 two months before release. They also announced B3, which is clearly coming 2019 or beyond.

Like I wrote, only EA still didn't coment Fifa sales, while Take Two said they are satisfied with NBA 2K sales on Switch, juding to eShop Doom and Skyrim have good sales on Switch, I am prette sure that Bethesda is satisfied with sales also but its too early too comment them yet beacuse both games are less than one month on market. Basically all Japanese and plenty of Indies said they are satisfied with sales. Yes mainly ports, but that doesnt change nothing, beacuse those ports effected that devs decided to support Switch much stronger.

You missing a point, like I wrote in OP: After Wii U fail, logically plenty of 3rd parties were reserved about Switch support, they went with "wait and see" approach, to see if Switch will sell, how popular will be and how fast can make some solid instal base, so plenty of them released only one game and some didn't release not single one, but after great sales and poularity of Switch and good sales of 3rd party games, in recent weeks we had plenty of annumcents of 3rd parties that will gave much stronger support in future, so we yet too see how exatly strong Switch 3rd party will be, and we can expect much more 3rd party announcements in 2018. than we had in 2017. Thats totaly difrent situation to GC. About sales of games, again, almost all infos we had about sales of 3rd partys on Switch saying they are good and that devs are satisfied and beacuse of that they are promising much stronger support.

Not everywhere of course, but of course that for some people that full handheld mode is game changer and that people are willing to pay for that, there is reason why some of Indies are best selling on Switch and why for instance Doom and Skyrim have good sales on eShop despite people can play them on other platforms for less money. Portability is one of most important point of Switch, thats what maid Switch totally different compared to PS4/XB1, people beacuse of that can easily buy Switch and multiplatform games for it even if they have PC/PS4/XB1, that hybrid concept is one of main reasons of great Switch sales and popularity.

Yes, they announced two games that will be out in two months and one game that's most likely 2019. game, and announcment was great, they basically said you will play first two games in two months but we also working on brand new third Bayonetta game, its similar to Metroid Prime 4 announcement. But point is simple, many time I wrote to you that Switch will definitely have some games for Q1 and that Nintendo will announced them when we are getting closer to Q1. They will most likely unannounce another Q1 game for March in January Direct.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 12 December 2017

Around the Network
Podings said:
Miyamotoo said:

Why do you think that? Switch can easily have more multiply titles from big developers than GC had from reasons that I mentione, and like we seeing, how time is passing much stonger support will be from big developers.

I of course hope you're right, but I see it as unlikley because of the power gap and the knowledge of Nintendo player preferences.

Red Dead Revolver was on GameCube. I don't think Red Dead Redemption 2 will be in Switch. And I think more cases like that will arise.

Like I wrote in OP, despite power gap Switch can handle dowgraded ports, and also like I wrote in OP, full handheld mode for multiplatform games is gamechanger for some people, some people can easily buy Switch just to play some multiplatform games in full handheld mode, that why most devs that released some games on Switch  until now said they are satisfied with sales on Switch and promised stronger support.

Yeah, Red Dead Redemption 2 probably will not be on Switch (Red Dead Revolver didnt had popularity of Red Dead Redemption) or some other AAA games, but again Switch will have more and wider support in any case beacuse its much more popular platform and it will have much bigger instal base, probably longer life span also. GC also didnt had some of AAA multiplatform games.

Miyamotoo said:
DélioPT said:

Like I wrote, only EA still didn't coment Fifa sales, while Take Two said they are satisfied with NBA 2K sales on Switch, juding to eShop Doom and Skyrim have good sales on Switch, I am prette sure that Bethesda is satisfied with sales also but its too early too comment them yet beacuse both games are less than one month on market. Basically all Japanese and plenty of Indies said they are satisfied with sales. Yes mainly ports, but that doesnt change nothing, beacuse those ports effected that devs decided to support Switch much stronger.

You missing a point, like I wrote in OP: After Wii U fail, logically plenty of 3rd parties were reserved about Switch support, they went with "wait and see" approach, to see if Switch will sell, how popular will be and how fast can make some solid instal base, so plenty of them released only one game and some didn't release not single one, but after great sales and poularity of Switch and good sales of 3rd party games, in recent weeks we had plenty of annumcents of 3rd parties that will gave much stronger support in future, so we yet too see how exatly strong Switch 3rd party will be, and we can expect much more 3rd party announcements in 2018. than we had in 2017. Thats totaly difrent situation to GC. About sales of games, again, almost all infos we had about sales of 3rd partys on Switch saying they are good and that devs are satisfied and beacuse of that they are promising much stronger support.

Not everywhere of course, but of course that for some people that full handheld mode is game changer and that people are willing to pay for that, there is reason why some of Indies are best selling on Switch and why for instance Doom and Skyrim have good sales on eShop despite people can play them on other platforms for less money. Portability is one of most important point of Switch, thats what maid Switch totally different compared to PS4/XB1, people beacuse of that can easily buy Switch and multiplatform games for it even if they have PC/PS4/XB1, that hybrid concept is one of main reasons of great Switch sales and popularity.

Yes, they announced two games that will be out in two months and one game that's most likely 2019. game, and announcment was great, they basically said you will play first two games in two months but we also working on brand new third Bayonetta game, its similar to Metroid Prime 4 announcement. But point is simple, many time I wrote to you that Switch will definitely have some games for Q1 and that Nintendo will announced them when we are getting closer to Q1. They will most likely unannounce another Q1 game for March in January Direct.

I think one month is more than enough to comment on the game's reception.
The question is how satisfied were they, given Switch's current library and release schedule?
I don't question - a lot - if the support will continue or not, but to what extent will it happen.

For example, you claim that "all" japanese devs are happy. 
I do remembre the comments by Capcom and SE. And do you know what their very first move is, regarding more support? Old games/ports.
See, this is exactly my problem: the type of support Switch will get.

Again, i understand that developers were relunctant of bringing games to Switch. Wii U failed, ok. But 3DS, not so much (and Switch is portable... on a portable centric country, right?)
But that tells us a few things: Nintendo does not have the full support of even japanese 3rd parties, who, despite being presented a portable like console still couldn't trust Nintendo; And, overall, Sony does dominate (as in, can get the best deals) the japanese space in the background.
"3rd partys on Switch saying they are good and that devs are satisfied and beacuse of that they are promising much stronger support."
Capcom and SE, 2 of the biggest developers have already shown how much they believe in Switch.

The point of GC was simple: it lacked bigger names, but it had a really good number of games and it had diversity.
So far, Switch hasn't proven that it can achieve those 2 goals.
And to be honest, if it can't while games from PS4/XB1 can somewhat be ported, i really doubt it will be able to do that when PS5/"XB2" arrive.

Have you ever stopped to think that, probably, the real reason why Doom and Skyrim are doing so "well" is because they pretty much have no alternative in their genres; that in terms of non-indie games, they standout easily?
The Switch library is more than begging for non-indie games and shooters/adventure games.
Of course, playing them on the go is a big PLUS.

Yes, they announced a compilation for 2018 and a single game for 2019 or beyond.
Technically you are correct, two is bigger than one, but it's still ONE release vs another release.

I never said that Nintendo had no games or that a lack of games was evident; nor did i say that Nintendo wouldn't reveal them at a later date (our E3 talks).
But seeing as you bring up the 2018 calendar, i gotta say FE is the biggest one... and that is a bad sign.
Despite that i do believe/hope that they have something better than that for Q1, at least...

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

I think one month is more than enough to comment on the game's reception.
The question is how satisfied were they, given Switch's current library and release schedule?
I don't question - a lot - if the support will continue or not, but to what extent will it happen.

For example, you claim that "all" japanese devs are happy. 
I do remembre the comments by Capcom and SE. And do you know what their very first move is, regarding more support? Old games/ports.
See, this is exactly my problem: the type of support Switch will get.

Again, i understand that developers were relunctant of bringing games to Switch. Wii U failed, ok. But 3DS, not so much (and Switch is portable... on a portable centric country, right?)
But that tells us a few things: Nintendo does not have the full support of even japanese 3rd parties, who, despite being presented a portable like console still couldn't trust Nintendo; And, overall, Sony does dominate (as in, can get the best deals) the japanese space in the background.
"3rd partys on Switch saying they are good and that devs are satisfied and beacuse of that they are promising much stronger support."
Capcom and SE, 2 of the biggest developers have already shown how much they believe in Switch.

The point of GC was simple: it lacked bigger names, but it had a really good number of games and it had diversity.
So far, Switch hasn't proven that it can achieve those 2 goals.
And to be honest, if it can't while games from PS4/XB1 can somewhat be ported, i really doubt it will be able to do that when PS5/"XB2" arrive.

Have you ever stopped to think that, probably, the real reason why Doom and Skyrim are doing so "well" is because they pretty much have no alternative in their genres; that in terms of non-indie games, they standout easily?
The Switch library is more than begging for non-indie games and shooters/adventure games.
Of course, playing them on the go is a big PLUS.

Yes, they announced a compilation for 2018 and a single game for 2019 or beyond.
Technically you are correct, two is bigger than one, but it's still ONE release vs another release.

I never said that Nintendo had no games or that a lack of games was evident; nor did i say that Nintendo wouldn't reveal them at a later date (our E3 talks).
But seeing as you bring up the 2018 calendar, i gotta say FE is the biggest one... and that is a bad sign.
Despite that i do believe/hope that they have something better than that for Q1, at least...

But games like Skyrim and Doom are less than month on market and actualy companies like Capcom, SQ and Bandai commented sales of games on quarter results, so we can expect same from Bethesda in January. Like I wrote, most of 3rd parties said they are satisfied and they promised stronger support. Old ports and games are also support, and old games and ports are things that they can be ported fastest and thats why they are announcing first, more modern and bigger games require more time for porting

I also mentioned that in OP, 3DS did not failed, but 3DS was so weak and technically old that porting some modern games was very hard to achieve, I mean even Vita had wider 3rd party support in Japan than 3DS. Switch is much closer with power to consoles and technically is very modern, thats why we having games like Skyrim, Doom or Wolfenstein 2 on Switch. Talking about Capcom and SQ, you do realise they last month talk how are satisfied with sales and how will gave much stronger support to Switch!? Only in one month Capcom unanuced Ace Atorney, Mega Man Legacy Collection 1, Mega Man Legacy Collection 2, Mega Man X Collection, Mega Man 11 and Street Fighter Collection.

Point with GC is simple, it was selling much worse than PS2 and it was obvious it will have much lower instal base. I alredy explained that Switch will getting much better and stronger 3rd party support than did this year, so Switch will easily have more and better games than GC had. Again, 3rd parties will keep making games for Switch until Switch and those games are selling on Switch, regardles PS5.

So we are getting back to Switch dont have games so thats why all games are selling great!? :D  Interesting enough, that wasn't case with Wii U.

Actually Bayonetta 1 and Bayonetta 2 are two releases, you can buy only one game or both, so two releases and two games, not one. And thats exatly my point, FE is being biggest one currently can't be bad sign because we still don't know nothing about most of 2018. Switch lineup, bad sign would be if E3 2018. was finished and FE is still biggest one for 2018. You also thouth thats bad sign for Q1 of 2018. because Nintendo didn't did not specifically said nothing about Q1 games, and now we have two Bayonetta games for February.

Also, pls read what I wrote, you again start forcing me write same things that I already wrote in previous posts.

Its not looking like it'll even have equal support to GCN, dude. So no. At least not based on what we see. You're mentioning a small handful of major multiplats as if theres plenty more where they came from. There isn't.

spemanig said:
Its not looking like it'll even have equal support to GCN, dude. So no. At least not based on what we see. You're mentioning a small handful of major multiplats as if theres plenty more where they came from. There isn't.

But my main point is that we are getting much more and more 3rd party announcements how time is passing and Switch continue to sell great and instal base is rising. You can bet after news that Switch already has 10m instal base just in 9 months that some 3rd parties decided to bring some games to Switch. In 2018. we will see incomparible much more 3rd party announcements than we had this year.