By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November 2017 NPD Thread! PS4 > XBO > Switch

Pavolink said:

Any guess on why is Switch too low? Lose steam? Low demand? No stock?

Stock was fine. I think it’s just a case of that number being how much it can sell at that price in a November. If they wanted to sell more, then they needed to drop the price.

Around the Network
Pavolink said:

Lack of Black Friday deals.  Think about it, why would you run out of your home to buy an item that day when you could just get it any other day for the same price?

nemo37 said:
quickrick said:

amazon is useless, just look at last month results  switch combined sku's should put it above ps4, yet ps4 2:1.

That's not how a ranking system (what Amazon uses) works. Rankings just tell you how far one item is from another NOT what the measurement of the distance between them is. Here is an example:

Console A is #1

Console B is #2

Console C is #3

Console D is # 4

Based on the above, all I can say is that Console A sold more than Console B, C, and D but I cannot say by how much. Nor can I say that Console D+C will outsell B (again because we don't know the distance from rank #2 to rank #3 nor do we know the distance from rank #3 and rank #4).

meaning its useless.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Lawlight said:

I fixed my post. Come on, even the most diehard Nintendo fans realise that Nintendo is very risk-averse and likes to use the same IPs.

Why wouldn't they? Would Disneyland ever get rid of Mickey Mouse?

Technically they have....

Pavolink said:

Before this November i was singing no stock from the rooftops. Now I am not so sure because they didn't have a stock problem.

Intrinsic said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

Why wouldn't they? Would Disneyland ever get rid of Mickey Mouse?

Pavolink said:

Before this November i was singing no stock from the rooftops. Now I am not so sure because they didn't have a stock problem.

It’s all because they didn’t have any discounts. If switch was discounted by $50, it would have performed much better but at full price, it’s kinda hard to compete against a $199 and $189 product. 

Around the Network
quickrick said:
nemo37 said:

That's not how a ranking system (what Amazon uses) works. Rankings just tell you how far one item is from another NOT what the measurement of the distance between them is. Here is an example:

Console A is #1

Console B is #2

Console C is #3

Console D is # 4

Based on the above, all I can say is that Console A sold more than Console B, C, and D but I cannot say by how much. Nor can I say that Console D+C will outsell B (again because we don't know the distance from rank #2 to rank #3 nor do we know the distance from rank #3 and rank #4).

meaning its useless.

LOL...no. Amazon still provides lots of information on ranking of products sold online and overall movements between products; you just cannot use it to make statements regarding specific sales numbers. Granted interval/ratio data (data with specified measurement) gives you far more information, ranked data is still an invaluable source for seeing generally how products are doing against each other (in general). Now how predictive (ie useful) Amazon is with regards to overall ranking of sales requires us to employ a correlational analysis of the Amazon rankings with say, NPD, data.

I’d say amazon is just as accurate as it’s always been. Just the deep price cuts threw the whole system for a loop. Non holiday months are still almost always accurate in predicting the winner.

UltimateGamer1982 said:
I’d say amazon is just as accurate as it’s always been. Just the deep price cuts threw the whole system for a loop. Non holiday months are still almost always accurate in predicting the winner.

switch just came out it's a different market then ps4/xb1. how do we know amazon is good at predicting the winner, switch was mostly out of stock the whole year at amazon. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
Intrinsic said:

It’s all because they didn’t have any discounts. If switch was discounted by $50, it would have performed much better but at full price, it’s kinda hard to compete against a $199 and $189 product. 

The switch is a new console having its first holiday period. I find it kinda weird that people are expecting a price drop or discount this early in the consoles life. I mean its just a little over 6 months from release. Hell, the PS4 got its first price drop of like $50 (from $399 to $349) almost two years after it was released and after MS had already dropped the price of the XB1 twice.

October
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-10/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=1
September
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-09/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=1
August
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-08/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=1
July
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2017-07/videogames/ref=zg_bsar_videogames_pg_3?ie=UTF8&pg=1

Out of all of these, the only one switch won even though it shows it didn’t, was july even though amazon had PS4 ahead. August, September and October all showed switch ahead these months which it won those corresponding npds. So yes, I still believe amazon is good at predicting the winner most non holiday months.