By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - NVIDIA TITAN V Announced..... $3000

This is what happens when there's no competition. Amd needs to do to the GPU market what they did to the CPU market with Ryzen.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
fatslob-:O said:
Not quite 15 TFlops and a bummer that it's using slower clocked HBM2 modules but it's pretty much beast ...

I worked out the math according to the specs and here's what I got ... 

5120(# of CUDA cores)*2(FMA op)*1.455(boost clock) = 14899.2 GFlops which is just shy of 14.9 TFlops ... 

Hopefully this won't be an overpriced embarrassment like the Titan Z, their last $3000 card. That card had comparable performance to the R9 295x2, which was half the price. They'd better be able to back up that price this time around.

Captain_Yuri said:
This is what happens when there's no competition. Amd needs to do to the GPU market what they did to the CPU market with Ryzen.

What AMD needs to do is copy Nvidia's strategy by promoting their own style of vendor lock-in ... 

AMD realized this so that's why their trying to copy Nvidia's GameWorks program by getting games to use their proprietary driver extensions just like Nvidia is ... 

AMD got lucky with RyZen since CPU technology is coming to a limit so they can afford to make CPUs as good as Intel but the same can't be said for GPUs ... 

fatslob-:O said:
Captain_Yuri said:

What AMD needs to do is copy Nvidia's strategy by promoting their own style of vendor lock-in ... 

AMD realized this so that's why their trying to copy Nvidia's GameWorks program by getting games to use their proprietary driver extensions just like Nvidia is ... 

AMD got lucky with RyZen since CPU technology is coming to a limit so they can afford to make CPUs as good as Intel but the same can't be said for GPUs ... 

The problem with AMD is that they need the performance to back it up imo. Sure they can do proprietary stuff or not but it's not gonna matter if the performance just isn't there. Amd isn't exactly popular either for devs to pick them over Nvidia without some incentive.

Look at Vega, that shit came out a year later and it can barely compete with a 1080 while consuming a cray cray amount of power. Heck, the partner cards just got announced not too long ago and Volta is on the horizon. They need to find lightning in a bottle somewhere.

And while it's true that CPU tech is coming to a limit, I do think Intel being greedy also had something to do with it. I am sure if intel wanted it to, they could have released 6 or even 8 core versions of their cpus a while ago without requiring people to be in the HEDT platform but they stuck with quad core versions until Ryzen came along... Not saying that cpu coming to it's limit didn't help AMD cause it certainly did but I do think part of it was also intel being greedy too.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I'll be honest, I actually did get the recent $1,200 Titan X, but it just lined up perfectly when I was updating to make the Vive run well and run 4k resolution games, and I'm very happy with the results.

This one, though... I don't think I could ever justify that much for a GPU given how rapidly they plummet in price. A processor maybe, but I already felt crazy for dropping less than half of that on a GPU lol

What the actual fuck.

"Honey, I'm remorgaging the house, buts its totally worth it for this absolute beast of a graphics card."

Seriously though, this could probably be capable of serious 8k gaming. But then again, 3000$ just for that...

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

barneystinson69 said:

What the actual fuck.

"Honey, I'm remorgaging the house, buts its totally worth it for this absolute beast of a graphics card."

Seriously though, this could probably be capable of serious 8k gaming. But then again, 3000$ just for that...

My one 1080Ti can handle 8k gaming.

Shadow Warrior 2 runs fine at 8k30 (though I would rather play at 4k60).
Portal and Portal 2 (or any Source engine game) run at 8k+ no problem.
Thumper runs at any res with ease.

Captain_Yuri said:

The problem with AMD is that they need the performance to back it up imo. Sure they can do proprietary stuff or not but it's not gonna matter if the performance just isn't there. Amd isn't exactly popular either for devs to pick them over Nvidia without some incentive.

Performance is more than just the hardware itself, it's also about the software too. Breaking that vicious cycle is important if AMD is trying to establish itself in the graphics market and I think Mantle was a step in the right direction. If Nvidia is going to vendor lock graphics features then AMD should take one step further to promote straight up vendor locked games on PC or at least timed exclusivity! 

Captain_Yuri said:

Look at Vega, that shit came out a year later and it can barely compete with a 1080 while consuming a cray cray amount of power. Heck, the partner cards just got announced not too long ago and Volta is on the horizon. They need to find lightning in a bottle somewhere.

That's what happens when you have no software to show for your hardware and their "lightning in a bottle" metaphorically speaking is most probably going to be DX12 or more specifically shader model 6.0+ (especially shader model 6.2 since it exposes Vega/PS4 Pro's RPM feature) to make up some ground but no games use it so far yet ... 

Not much AMD can do other than depend on the future and keeping Microsoft at their side since they are the only ones who can help them ... 

Captain_Yuri said: 

And while it's true that CPU tech is coming to a limit, I do think Intel being greedy also had something to do with it. I am sure if intel wanted it to, they could have released 6 or even 8 core versions of their cpus a while ago without requiring people to be in the HEDT platform but they stuck with quad core versions until Ryzen came along... Not saying that cpu coming to it's limit didn't help AMD cause it certainly did but I do think part of it was also intel being greedy too.

How AMD disrupted the x86 CPU market isn't applicable to the GPU market ... 

Intel being greedy is the least of the reason why we aren't seeing increases in performance, it's just a reason why we aren't getting the best possible value ... 

I feel like we're getting off-track ... 

Bristow9091 said:
I mean, I was gonna' spend this money on a mortgage... but fuck it, graphics card instead. Nah, but seriously, why are these things so expensive?! I'm still using a GTX960 which I bought almost two years ago for £150 and it runs everything I play silky smooth at 60fps on high/ultra settings, some games I have to mess with a few things, like turn the AA down etc. but it's good enough for me, lol.

If you want to play Fallout 4 VR version on this
https://uploadvr.com/vrhero-plus-5k-resolution-headset-high-density-oled-displays/
or this
https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/12/pimax-8k-vr-headset/
it might come in handy.

Recommended specs for the Vive is already a GTX 1080 for a 2K headset.