By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Bayonetta 3 announced exclusively for Switch!

Holy fuck its been 5 years since Bayonetta 2 was revealed to be a Wii U exclusive and almost 2 years since she was added to Smash and now that Bayonetta 3 has been revealed I am shocked that there are still people that are shocked that its a Switch exclusive.

Around the Network
HoangNhatAnh said:
SpokenTruth said:
Can we get a salt of the year award? I think we've found a winner.

This announcement was almost inevitable. The exclusive factor certainly was. Only the saltiest thought otherwise.

Hahaha, it is fine only if it is PS4 exclusive 

They seem to forget the standard they set.

Yet, sometimes . . .

( •_•)

( •_•)>⌐□-□

. . Payback's a Witch!

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! </CSI_Miami_Reference >

Last edited by foxtail - on 12 December 2017

animegaming said:
Holy fuck its been 5 years since Bayonetta 2 was revealed to be a Wii U exclusive and almost 2 years since she was added to Smash and now that Bayonetta 3 has been revealed I am shocked that there are still people that are shocked that its a Switch exclusive.

I guess the PC port of Bayonetta really threw some people off.

Kyuu said:

Nintendo helping with Bayonetta 2 doesn't matter. The IP still belongs to Sega who had the freedom to make B3 a multiplatform game, but decided against it. The series is currently more recognizable than it has ever been, since in addition to Xbox and PS fans, it's now also well recognized among Nintendo gamers. Furthermore, the PC player base is becoming increasingly interested in highly regarded Japanese games. It's Sega's loss, really.

It's not really Sega's loss, because I assume that Nintendo are taking pretty much all of the risks and costs of the game.

Kyuu said:
irstupid said:

The point you keep ignoring is that Bayonetta 2 exists due 100% to Nintendo. Without Nintendo, there would be no Bayonetta 2, and thus this Bayonetta 3 would be instead be Bayonetta 2 and it would have been 10 years since the first Bayonetta came out.

Most sequels don't sell as well as their predecessor. Not to mention a sequel to a particularly niche game that has not seen a release in 10 years. A second game to a franchise. Not a 3rd, 4th, 5th or anything, just the second game.

There would not be that much hype for suddenly bringing Bayonetta out of the grave.

Doing a quick search I see that Brutal Legends was released also in 2009. It sold approximately what Bayonetta sold as well. So imagine if at the game awards or E3 this coming year Brutal Legends 2 had been announced. Sure it might make the cult fans of the game super excited, but it's not going to have nearly as much hype, excitement or sales potential as Bayonetta 3 does right now. And that reason is because Bayonetta has stayed in the lime light since 2009 due to Bayonetta 2 and Smash inclusion.

Nintendo helping with Bayonetta 2 doesn't matter. The IP still belongs to Sega who had the freedom to make B3 a multiplatform game, but decided against it. The series is currently more recognizable than it has ever been, since in addition to Xbox and PS fans, it's now also well recognized among Nintendo gamers. Furthermore, the PC player base is becoming increasingly interested in highly regarded Japanese games. It's Sega's loss, really.

And it wouldn't be a stab in the back if Sega went multiplat with Bayonetta 3 after Nintendo's funding B2 (if that's what you're implying) assuming the deal was temporary, because Nintendo benefited from it as well.

Alkibiádēs said:

They released a crap top of MH games on the 3DS and they're all practically the same, that has nothing to do with hardware limitations. That's just Capcom's greed and laziness. 

And Ultra Street Fighter on the Switch sold A LOT for something that's basically a $40 SNES game. Again, Capcom's greed is showing. Just recently they've announced a collection of Street Fighter games that also costs $40. So yeah, Switch owners got scammed hard. 

MH only sells well on handhelds, so no, Capcom couldn't have survived on other consoles. 

SFII sells purely on nostalgia (and portability I suppose) but Nintendo has its fair share of "scamming" their consumers and overpricing their products. You just enjoy slamming everything Capcom does while turning a blind eye to shady Nintendo practices. Apparently, not even having their biggest series in Japan locked to Nintendo's underpowered platforms for an entire generation is enough to satisfy you! And nope! Sorry, but most Nintendo gamers were perfectly pleased with what they were getting on 3DS. Hell, MH World got trashed left and right for "straying from roots"

Again, MH was never properly tested on home consoles... How much do you expect MH World to sell in Japan? Give me a number so I can bump your post in 50 days! ;)

You're ignoring that MH is originally 100% a Playstation exclusive franchise, MH4 could have very well saved the Vita, provided they take advantage of the hardware. You talk as if MH has no presence on PS platforms, including handhelds. Y'know, similar stories were told about Dragon Quest XI, that the 3DS version would easily outsell Switch and PS4 versions combined by a good margin.. Well, look at how that turned out! (oh wait... I remember you downplaying that too, much to my surprise!) If Vita had MH, the existing fanbase on Playstation would have never migrated to the inferior 3DS. So let's cut the Nintendo saving a Capcom-in-distress nonsense.

HoangNhatAnh said:

Yeah, because Nintendo will be more than ready to fund a game that will be on ps4/Xbox one when Platinum had already said Sony/Microsoft refused to fund Bayonetta 2, Nintendo is the last they asked and Nintendo accepted it. Funding a game will be on competitors system, seem logical 

Sony and Microsoft have no obligations to fund the game whatsoever. This should have been Sega's job. At this time, Sony has its hands full with funding Death Stranding, Shenmue 3's marketing (which is, ironically, another franchise killed by Sega the big dumbass!), and probably an unannounced 2nd party game from From Software. Demon's Borne! :D

Sega have no interest in funding Bayonetta 2 or 3 because the low sales of 1 so two choice: Nintendo or nothing

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's not really Sega's loss, because I assume that Nintendo are taking pretty much all of the risks and costs of the game.

I doubt Nintendo covered the costs of 2 extra million sales.

What make you so sure it will sell 2 million? Sega step back from funding the sequel because Bayonetta 1 sold bad to them mean 2 mil to them is low. I see, you want the franchise to die rather than exist exclusive on Nintendo system

Why does every Bayonetta discussion online turn into WAAAH should be on PS and Xbox and duh Nintendo funded it? You dopes have had since 2012 to figure it out. If you still don't get it then get the fuck out. Instead, this could be a topic of the game itself. Like why Bayonetta was cut in half. Why were her guns named differently? Why does he have her Bayonetta 1 look? Is that not really Bayonetta who died but a time remanent or a clone of some sort. These are things that should actually be discussed not who paid for what and sales of what for fuck's sake.

Kyuu said:
irstupid said:

The point you keep ignoring is that Bayonetta 2 exists due 100% to Nintendo. Without Nintendo, there would be no Bayonetta 2, and thus this Bayonetta 3 would be instead be Bayonetta 2 and it would have been 10 years since the first Bayonetta came out.

Most sequels don't sell as well as their predecessor. Not to mention a sequel to a particularly niche game that has not seen a release in 10 years. A second game to a franchise. Not a 3rd, 4th, 5th or anything, just the second game.

There would not be that much hype for suddenly bringing Bayonetta out of the grave.

Doing a quick search I see that Brutal Legends was released also in 2009. It sold approximately what Bayonetta sold as well. So imagine if at the game awards or E3 this coming year Brutal Legends 2 had been announced. Sure it might make the cult fans of the game super excited, but it's not going to have nearly as much hype, excitement or sales potential as Bayonetta 3 does right now. And that reason is because Bayonetta has stayed in the lime light since 2009 due to Bayonetta 2 and Smash inclusion.

And it wouldn't be a stab in the back if Sega went multiplat with Bayonetta 3 after Nintendo's funding B2 (if that's what you're implying) assuming the deal was temporary, because Nintendo benefited from it as well.

Alkibiádēs said:

They released a crap top of MH games on the 3DS and they're all practically the same, that has nothing to do with hardware limitations. That's just Capcom's greed and laziness. 

And Ultra Street Fighter on the Switch sold A LOT for something that's basically a $40 SNES game. Again, Capcom's greed is showing. Just recently they've announced a collection of Street Fighter games that also costs $40. So yeah, Switch owners got scammed hard. 

MH only sells well on handhelds, so no, Capcom couldn't have survived on other consoles. 

SFII sells purely on nostalgia (and portability I suppose) but Nintendo has its fair share of "scamming" their consumers and overpricing their products. You just enjoy slamming everything Capcom does while turning a blind eye to shady Nintendo practices. Apparently, not even having their biggest series in Japan locked to Nintendo's underpowered platforms for an entire generation is enough to satisfy you! And nope! Sorry, but most Nintendo gamers were perfectly pleased with what they were getting on 3DS. Hell, MH World got trashed left and right for "straying from roots"

Again, MH was never properly tested on home consoles... How much do you expect MH World to sell in Japan? Give me a number so I can bump your post in 50 days! ;)

You're ignoring that MH is originally 100% a Playstation exclusive franchise, MH4 could have very well saved the Vita, provided they take advantage of the hardware. You talk as if MH has no presence on PS platforms, including handhelds. Y'know, similar stories were told about Dragon Quest XI, that the 3DS version would easily outsell Switch and PS4 versions combined by a good margin.. Well, look at how that turned out! (oh wait... I remember you downplaying that too, much to my surprise!) If Vita had MH, the existing fanbase on Playstation would have never migrated to the inferior 3DS. So let's cut the Nintendo saving a Capcom-in-distress nonsense.

Monster Hunter started out on the PS2 and all the games bombed on it. It also failed to sell well on the Wii, a highly successful console.  Never properly tested my ass. 

Considering that development costs for PS4 games are far higher than 3DS games they should probably sell around 5 to 6 million copies in Japan alone to reach the same level of profitability.

The Vita wouldn't have all of a sudden become a success because of one franchise lol. It had many problems and it has a very mediocre library of games.

DQ XI on PS4 has much higher development costs than the 3DS version, so it selling less is proof enough that making these games for PS4 alone is not worth it. They're lucky they can port it to Switch, but it should have released alongside the other versions. Now they have lost out on a lot of sales. 

In the coming years more and more Japanese developers will either go multiplat or abandon Playstation to make games exclusively for Nintendo. It's already starting and this is just the beginning: 

- Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes (exclusive)

- Project Octopath Traveler (exclusive)

- Shin Megami Tensei V (exclusive) 

- Bayoneta 1 + 2 Collection (exclusive)

- Bayonetta 3 (exclusive)

- Dragon Quest Builders (previously exclusive to Playstation)

- Dragon Quest Builders II (multiplat)

- Valkyria Chronicles IV (never been on Nintendo consoles before)

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

wow you guys sure love bickering

Kyuu said:
Alkibiádēs said:

Monster Hunter started out on the PS2 and all the games bombed on it. It also failed to sell well on the Wii, a highly successful console.  Never properly tested my ass. 

Considering that development costs for PS4 games are far higher than 3DS games they should probably sell around 5 to 6 million copies in Japan alone to reach the same level of profitability.

The Vita wouldn't have all of a sudden become a success because of one franchise lol. It had many problems and it has a very mediocre library of games.

DQ XI on PS4 has much higher development costs than the 3DS version, so it selling less is proof enough that making these games for PS4 alone is not worth it. They're lucky they can port it to Switch, but it should have released alongside the other versions. Now they have lost out on a lot of sales. 

In the coming years more and more Japanese developers will either go multiplat or abandon Playstation to make games exclusively for Nintendo. It's already starting and this is just the beginning: 

- Travis Strikes Back: No More Heroes (exclusive)

- Project Octopath Traveler (exclusive)

- Shin Megami Tensei V (exclusive) 

- Bayoneta 1 + 2 Collection (exclusive)

- Bayonetta 3 (exclusive)

- Dragon Quest Builders (previously exclusive to Playstation)

- Dragon Quest Builders II (multiplat)

- Valkyria Chronicles IV (never been on Nintendo consoles before)

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous and simplistic posts I've read in a long time. But allow me to enlighten you with a few facts since you're obviously ignorant:

- Monster Hunter popularity exploded after the THIRD iteration on PSP (an expansion to the 2nd portable game)

- Online and Network gaming weren't standard to PS2 (you had to buy an external device), and Monster Hunter was still a new IP, lost among a plethora of excellent games on PS2. It did well with that, and the above point, in mind.

- Tri was tested at the best time, but on the worst platform. Don't be shocked if MHW outsells it in a single week on a much smaller install base.

- Yes, single games of the caliber of Monster Hunter can actually make a massive difference and leave a ripple effect, encouraging more publishers to develop games on the system it's on. That much is not debatable. Yokai Watch for instance was initially intended as a PS3 game, it may have ended on Vita if the handheld had a bigger install base and general buzz thanks to a hypothetical Monster Hunter.

- What does profitability have to do with popularity? By your logic, Switch is a terrible model for third parties since the environment and development costs it targets and are comparable to PS4, not 3DS. You were just complaining earlier about MH not evolving itself, yet now you've already called anything below 5 million a "failure" due to higher costs. It's like you want MH to be stuck to 3DS specs.

- DQXI PS4 cost more to develop, but it also sold at higher price. Square referred to PS4 sales to be "stronger" meaning: they were more happy with it than the 3DS version. Why do you so obsess yourself with these companies profits anyway?

- You said: "DQ XI on PS4 has much higher development costs than the 3DS version, so it selling less is proof enough that making these games for PS4 alone is not worth it"

And I never said anything about keeping games exclusive to PS4, or to any other system for the matter.

- This list you just put is cracking me up man. How does Switch being a massive success (deservedly so) relate to what was being discussed here?

I'm done with this thread coz it's starting upset people.

Sure thing buddy, the Vita would have sold over a 100 million units if only MH had released on it! 

/s

And Yokai Watch is not a franchise that would sell well on Playstation consoles at all. If it had released on Vita it would have flopped. 

By the time Dragon Quest XI released on the 3DS its successor had already released on the market with great success. And Dragon Quest XI didn't do much for the PS4 anyway, it's not picking up steam at all in Japan and the game has no legs. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides