By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo Sport debuts - another 1M opening

torok said:
Lawlight said:

I don’t think you know how the Sony studios work.

I don't have to know how they work. They are a company, they chose the most profitable way. A bunch of directors looking at numbers (well, actually having people explain the numbers to them). They see UC4, see the profit. Probably the highest of all 1st party titles. Higher then UC3. Pushing consoles. They will want another one, bigger, badder, better. And they will have ND do it. It's naive to think they really don't have a hand on these big decisions of their studios.

It's not like they will demand that. Just business. An UC5 would allow ND to work with a large budget. A new IP would see a decreased budget if it was a big departure. ND also wants money. If they can keep UC and TLOU, it's probably around 50M budget per game. Much smarter to just hire more people and create a 3rd IP to profit even more. If they forget UC and try a new IP, they could end up selling less copies and the available budget would decrease. Not real smart business.

You really don't know how Sony works. Since they gave Naughty Dog the freedom to do whatever they want and it turned to such a success that is Uncharted they apply this strategy to all of their WW studios. Do whatever you want as long it is profitable.

Around the Network

Selling 1m week 1 is a speciality of the ps4.

LudicrousSpeed said:
The talk of legs and sales over time and GaaS is eerily similar to when SFV had surprisingly low opening sales due to content shenanigans and we all know how that turned out. Hopefully GTS continues to sell decently and they decide to add more GT staples like actual upgrades for cars so the SP they’re adding has an actual feel of progression. Then again with a lot of the cars in the game there’s not much of a point. If nothing else, lower sales might spur them to get to work faster on a real GT title.

They are working on it already. It's called GT Sport and will get more and more content over time. The career everybody missed so much will be back in December already.

Well, a watered down version of it will be back, anyway. It’s a great start, but still missing some key components.

torok said:
Lawlight said:

Sony doesn’t mandate what their studios should work on, especially not Naughty Dog. I think Uncharted is well and truly over. I doubt any of the other devs will pick it up. InFamous and GoW came back because the devs wanted to do one more so nothing to do with the protagonist.

DonFerrari said:

Yet ND said they want to move on... And Sony allows their dev to do these decisions, so it can happen that a new UC to be done by the likes of Sumo Digital with new protagonists.

They are a big company and have to be profitable. Let a 10M seller die because of creative freedom is a terrible business decision. Telling that to shareholders would not be pretty.

You can count on UC5. It's happening. I also doubt Sony will move it to another dev because the ND pedigree helps to push copies. We will probably have ND staff on interviews saying that "they wanted to tell more story, etc", just to look like Sony didn't said so.

The degree of choice to devs is inversely proportional to sales. You can call it quits on stuff that is mildly successful like Killzone, but don't think they can bail out of UC. They already worked on The Last of Us to show they can do more than one franchise per gen. Now they have to push these 2. If they want to do another game, Sony will just hire more crew or maybe give them a child studio, like Guerrilla Cambridge to Guerrilla.

You can say what you want but ND have done it when moving to TLOU (and decided to do UC4 because they wanted), Guerilla decided to move to Horizon, Sucker Punch moved to Tsushijima, MM moved to Dreams, there are plenty of examples of franchises being closed by Sony studios. They have the freedom to choose the project.

As I said, if Sony wants another UC they could move to a new studio, but I doubt they would FORCE ND to do it.

ND already moved on from Crash and Jax.

torok said:
Lawlight said:

I don’t think you know how the Sony studios work.

I don't have to know how they work. They are a company, they chose the most profitable way. A bunch of directors looking at numbers (well, actually having people explain the numbers to them). They see UC4, see the profit. Probably the highest of all 1st party titles. Higher then UC3. Pushing consoles. They will want another one, bigger, badder, better. And they will have ND do it. It's naive to think they really don't have a hand on these big decisions of their studios.

It's not like they will demand that. Just business. An UC5 would allow ND to work with a large budget. A new IP would see a decreased budget if it was a big departure. ND also wants money. If they can keep UC and TLOU, it's probably around 50M budget per game. Much smarter to just hire more people and create a 3rd IP to profit even more. If they forget UC and try a new IP, they could end up selling less copies and the available budget would decrease. Not real smart business.

So you don't need to know how something work to say it doesn't work like that? Ok then, nothing we say or happen will change your opinion.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:

That's not a FACT at all...It might be your opinion, but I even question your ability to form a qualified opinion after 5 hours of play! IMHO it's actually the best driving, most fun and by far best looking and performing GT game to date. Added modes like Scapes and especially the livery editor add so much to the game. The new Online system and -racing is the new benchmark this side of iRacing. The new campaign is much more substantial than people try to make it out to be and the arcade and custom race mode adds a lot more SP content on top. 

I'm a huge GT fan since the first GT and I honestly think it ALREADY is the best GT they ever created...by a wide margin even. And that is without the added career mode which will come in next week's update. More content (like 50 new cars and new tracks until march) is already announced and we all know the game will continue to grow like past GT games did, weather will also be added soon, like on GT5 for example. Of course you'd know that if you were a GT fan yourself.

Lowest meta for a GT game ever thus Worst GT game ever, not my opinion but general consensus of the gaming market an user base.  

You dismiss what i say as opinion then give your rebuttal that is only your own opinion ?  Weather has not been announced, and as a GT fan you should know liver editor was announced for GT6 and never released for it.   And as a GT fan you know PD has a history of overpromising and under delivering.  As they underdelivery Gtsport after 4 years of dev time with no offline compeggie and a mediocre car and track count in comparison to its previous titles or the competition.    

User moderated - Bristow9091

Last edited by Bristow9091 - on 07 December 2017

wings said:
Errorist76 said:

That's not a FACT at all...It might be your opinion, but I even question your ability to form a qualified opinion after 5 hours of play! IMHO it's actually the best driving, most fun and by far best looking and performing GT game to date. Added modes like Scapes and especially the livery editor add so much to the game. The new Online system and -racing is the new benchmark this side of iRacing. The new campaign is much more substantial than people try to make it out to be and the arcade and custom race mode adds a lot more SP content on top. 

I'm a huge GT fan since the first GT and I honestly think it ALREADY is the best GT they ever created...by a wide margin even. And that is without the added career mode which will come in next week's update. More content (like 50 new cars and new tracks until march) is already announced and we all know the game will continue to grow like past GT games did, weather will also be added soon, like on GT5 for example. Of course you'd know that if you were a GT fan yourself.

Lowest meta for a GT game ever thus Worst GT game ever, not my opinion but general consensus of the gaming market an user base.  

You dismiss what i say as opinion then give your rebuttal that is only your own opinion ?  Weather has not been announced, and as a GT fan you should know liver editor was announced for GT6 and never released for it.   And as a GT fan you know PD has a history of overpromising and under delivering.  As they underdelivery Gtsport after 4 years of dev time with no offline compeggie and a mediocre car and track count in comparison to its previous titles or the competition.    

I don't know in which world you live where Metacritic scores define the actual quality of a game. All reviews actually were pretty clear about the fact they think it's an excellent racing game, simply a bit low on content. Some valued it higher, some lower...hence the good but not excellent score.

You'll find that most people who actually have played the game will have a different opinion, because they are able to rate the game as what it is and wants to be instead of what THEY want it to be, even though the game was announced as being online focused from day one.

The game has, as already stated 20-40, even 50 hours of single player content. You only played 5 of it, as you stated, so how would you know?! You're simply NOT CREDIBLE!

Weather was teased many times already. If you HAD played the game, you'd know it has snow and rain tires, functioning wipers, WET ROADS in the driving school (I even suspect you haven't even played that part or you'd know) already and, just as with GT5 back then, they teased rain in the last Zagato GT Vision video. Just google it, I won't post it here. Too lazy.

PD never had a history of over promising. It's just that they didn't think GT6 was worth continuing as they were planning to because not many people bought the game, due to its late release date in the gen when PS4 was already a thing.

Whatever....I won't react to any of your trolling anymore unless you have at least finished the driving school and 20-30 hour campaign in the game. You're simply not even entitled to HAVE an opinion if you've only played 5 hours in the game (which I still doubt that you even own the way you are arguing here)! 

And yes, I have an opinion, like most others here, who have played the game for days and weeks already.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 07 December 2017

Errorist76 said:
wings said:

I don't know in which world you live where Metacritic scores define the actual quality of a game. All reviews actually were pretty clear about the fact they think it's an excellent racing game, simply a bit low on content. Some valued it higher, some lower...hence the good but not excellent score.

You'll find that most people who actually have played the game will have a different opinion, because they are able to rate the game as what it is and wants to be instead of what THEY want it to be, even though the game was announced as being online focused from day one.

The game has, as already stated 20-40, even 50 hours of single player content. You only played 5 of it, as you stated, so how would you know?! You're simply NOT CREDIBLE!

Weather was teased many times already. If you HAD played the game, you'd know it has snow and rain tires, functioning wipers, WET ROADS in the driving school (I even suspect you haven't even played that part or you'd know) already and, just as with GT5 back then, they teased rain in the last Zagato GT Vision video. Just google it, I won't post it here. Too lazy.

PD never had a history of over promising. It's just that they didn't think GT6 was worth continuing as they were planning to because not many people bought the game, due to its late release date in the gen when PS4 was already a thing.

Whatever....I won't react to any of your trolling anymore unless you have at least finished the driving school and 20-30 hour campaign in the game. You're simply not even entitled to HAVE an opinion if you've only played 5 hours in the game (which I still doubt that you even own the way you are arguing here)! 

And yes, I have an opinion, like most others here, who have played the game for days and weeks already.

its low meta says plenty about the game, whether you want to admit it or not.  

I'm on Gtplanet and there is a hell of alot discontent towards this game even there and i won't even get started on the comments on facebook or amazon.  Even about its supposedly greatest strength, the online racing with its broken penalty system.   

You have an inflated sense of that your opinion really matter that much.  Your opinion does not equal to a fact especially for others.  You love the game good for you, a hell of alot of people hate it and no amount of you saying other wise will change that.  And they are lifelong GT fans.  

I judge the game for what it is, not for the hopes some have for it in the future.  And right now to me and many other it is mediocre.   About 150 cars with many duplicates or fake vgt cars.  Only 17 tracks most fake ones.  How good can a racing game be when it lacks so many cars and track to race on.  

How credible are you ? you have no sense of objectivity.  ^ can't spin such paltry content.  

wings said:
Errorist76 said:

its low meta says plenty about the game, whether you want to admit it or not.  

I'm on Gtplanet and there is a hell of alot discontent towards this game even there and i won't even get started on the comments on facebook or amazon.  Even about its supposedly greatest strength, the online racing with its broken penalty system.   

You have an inflated sense of that your opinion really matter that much.  Your opinion does not equal to a fact especially for others.  You love the game good for you, a hell of alot of people hate it and no amount of you saying other wise will change that.  And they are lifelong GT fans.  

I judge the game for what it is, not for the hopes some have for it in the future.  And right now to me and many other it is mediocre.   About 150 cars with many duplicates or fake vgt cars.  Only 17 tracks most fake ones.  How good can a racing game be when it lacks so many cars and track to race on.  

How credible are you ? you have no sense of objectivity.  ^ can't spin such paltry content.  

You’re pretty pathetic judging something you haven’t even tried yourself. Other people’s opinions seem to matter more to you, than forming your own. Pretty sad actually. 

Errorist76 said:

You’re pretty pathetic judging something you haven’t even tried yourself. Other people’s opinions seem to matter more to you, than forming your own. Pretty sad actually. 

If you lack the ability to a civil debate don't quote me.