By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It is unfair to compare Consoles to Handhelds

It is also unfair to compare Handheld Software to Console SW... Like I saw some do with 360 and DS in NA a while back (360 passed DS in lifetime SW sold). Many people buy handheld games for when they are travelling or just to play when they cannot get to a Console. Look in the past no Handheld has ever been a software "monster" like the DS has, and the DS cannot even sell more SW than the 360... the second place console...

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Alot of Fanboys on other sites would like the Wii to be kept seperate from 360 and PS3 because its just a "toy". IMO its just because they don't like it that a console that is so inferior to theirs is kicking its arse.

You could argue it if you want but it depends on the comparison, I could also argue that you shouldn't compare the DS to the PSP, or even the 360 to the PS3 but that's just BS.

All you have to do is bare the differences in mind when comparing things, there is no need to complain about it because there is onthing wrong with comparing two pieces of gaming hardware.

The DS and PSP are clearly competeing against the consoles in some respects (particularly in Japan). 

PDF said:

IMO it is.

Consoles often go to families were there is only one but there may be a couple DS or PSP for individual people.  I remember I had gameboy and my brother had a gameboy.

So I dont like it when people go DS>Wii>PSP>PS3>360.  They should be completely seperate.  DS>PSP and Wii>PS3>360.  They do not directly compete with eachother so we should stop acting like like they do.

This is all imo.  What do you think

I completely disagree with this part.  All entertainment is competing for the same money.  If money is spent on the DS, that is money that can't be spent on any other console or handheld.  One console or handheld's success hurts all others in terms of potential sales.

dschumm said:
I don't see why they shouldn't be compared. Yes the DS is selling like hotcakes but take a look at PS2 numbers in its heyday.

The PS2 looks likely to pass the gameboy in sales this year to be the number one system of all time. The number 3 is the PS1 far , far far ahead of the GBA and DS worldwide.

Yes ds passed the PS2 in Japan but that is showing they are competing, at least in that market where the portables are taking away from home console sales.

DS still has a long way to go to catch the PS2 about 50 million units so it is more relevent to talk about the fact that the PSP and DS are much further into their generations than the 3 new consoles.

many many people are on their 2nd,  3rd or 4th PS2.... same went for PS1. The SNES (or N64 for that matter) back in the day would have had better numbers if they actually broke once in a while.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network
tarheel91 said:
PDF said:

IMO it is.

Consoles often go to families were there is only one but there may be a couple DS or PSP for individual people. I remember I had gameboy and my brother had a gameboy.

So I dont like it when people go DS>Wii>PSP>PS3>360. They should be completely seperate. DS>PSP and Wii>PS3>360. They do not directly compete with eachother so we should stop acting like like they do.

This is all imo. What do you think

I completely disagree with this part. All entertainment is competing for the same money. If money is spent on the DS, that is money that can't be spent on any other console or handheld. One console or handheld's success hurts all others in terms of potential sales.

Right on

I often go to the game store and say "I need a new game" and I look in the DS and Wii sections then if I see nothing that interests me I browse the used Gamecube and PS2 titles. 

99% of the time I have layed the ds has been in my house so I say portable is merely a feature of the game system of choice. 

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

We actually had more PS2s than PSPs . If any of my family members want to buy a console we rarely share ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

I certainly don't buy the argument that portable sales must be higher than console ones. I own a Wii and a PS2; I don't own a DS or PSP. There are plenty of people who have no interest in portable gaming and prefer consoles. To wash our hands and claim "they aren't competing with one another" is merely a way of ignoring how successful the handhelds have been of late. (Perhaps because they actually have reasonable entry prices?)

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

I haven't read all the replies, so it might have come up:

" While the Gameboy was an evolution of the Game and Watch, it would be appropriate to describe the Gameboy as the initial disruptor since Game and Watch wasn’t as widespread outside Japan. The Gameboy fit the disruptor description well. It was definitely a crummy product for non-consumers. It was, in every way, inferior to the NES. However, it brought values to it that the NES did not have: it was portable.

“But Malstrom!” you say. “Are you saying that the Gameboy was disrupting the NES, that Nintendo was disrupting itself? Are you insane?”

The correct action for a disruptor is to follow-up previous disruption with another disruptive product to cannibalize their business. Had console gaming remained forever in the 8-bit generation, it is obvious that Gameboy would have disrupted consoles as its mobile technology improved. Instead, console gaming moved upmarket and handhelds have always been a couple of generations behind.

While competitor consoles are the obvious reason for Nintendo moving upmarket (to 16-bit, to 64-bit, and so on), the bigger problem is Gameboy cannibalizing the console market. In the future, this will become a problem for Sony with their handheld. The point is that the handheld business forced Nintendo to keep moving its console to the upmarket (or else risk it becoming gobbled up by the improving Gameboy). Nintendo’s solution was innovative: the DS turned Gameboy into a product that does not resemble a portable console for there are two screens and a touch pad (which cannot easily be put on consoles). This would later allow Nintendo to create a disruptive console without risk of its handheld equivalent eating it up."

- Disruptive Storm, by Sean Malstrom 

very unfair