By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - It is unfair to compare Consoles to Handhelds

PDF said:
tarheel91 said:
PDF said:

IMO it is.

Consoles often go to families were there is only one but there may be a couple DS or PSP for individual people.  I remember I had gameboy and my brother had a gameboy.

So I dont like it when people go DS>Wii>PSP>PS3>360.  They should be completely seperate.  DS>PSP and Wii>PS3>360.  They do not directly compete with eachother so we should stop acting like like they do.

This is all imo.  What do you think

I completely disagree with this part.  All entertainment is competing for the same money.  If money is spent on the DS, that is money that can't be spent on any other console or handheld.  One console or handheld's success hurts all others in terms of potential sales.

I did not say they were not competing.  I said they are not directly competing like the 360 and the PS3 are. 

If you are going to argue the point that money spent on a handheld takes away from money that could be spent on a Console.  Then you must realize that everything is competing against eachother.  Money spent on food also takes away from money that could of been spent on games as well.  So should we do this Food>DS?  No we shouldnt.

Consoles are competeting against eachother for console sales.  That means there trying to get potential console buyers to buy their system over the other.  DS and PSP are directly competing with eachother to get people who want a hand held to get their system.  The PSP direct competition is the DS not the consoles.

Nice false analogy you made there!  Let's compare the difference between a console and a handheld with a console and food!  That makes so much sense!  While consoles and handhelds are part of the entertainment/leisure market, food is an essential.  Many people recognize this difference and budget their money accordingly.  They recognize a difference between food and entertainment.  However, handhelds and consoles are both within the entertainment market and, even more specifically, within the video game market.  Most consumers do not budget for both handhelds and consoles seperately.  What results is one large sum of money going to video games, and consumers having to decide where they spend it, whether that be on consoles or handhelds.