By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry: How Does Xbox 360 Backwards Compatibility on Xbox One Actually Work?

Errorist76 said:
Machiavellian said:

Not sure if you actually watched the video but its stated that the games are not recoded at all and the original game code is not touched.

I know what DF say (who have been on MS's pay roll lately anyway) but I also know what my mind tells me. They definitely have to add code hence why I said "certain aspects". Otherwise all games would just work, if it was a fully working emulator which wouldn't need individual adaption.

It's basically what DF is stating and which is very interesting, that the actual adaption is done on the "emulation" level, not on the level of the original software, if that's 100% true or not. 

care to explain? 

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

I know what DF say (who have been on MS's pay roll lately anyway) but I also know what my mind tells me. They definitely have to add code hence why I said "certain aspects". Otherwise all games would just work, if it was a fully working emulator which wouldn't need individual adaption.

It's basically what DF is stating and which is very interesting, that the actual adaption is done on the "emulation" level, not on the level of the original software, if that's 100% true or not. 

care to explain? 

They were doing the official X1X promotion for Microsoft and still do.

Errorist76 said:
flashfire926 said:

care to explain? 

doesn't mean they are biased. Infact, they are one of the most neutral and unbiased sites I know.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

doesn't mean they are biased. Infact, they are one of the most neutral and unbiased sites I know.

I know what you mean and you're basically right, but more often lately they just seemed to repeat MS's PR because even they simply did't know it better. They were praising the "new enhanced CPU" on high levels because that's the info MS was giving them. They let themselves being used by the MS marketing machinery.

Now that reality kicks in and, as can be seen with many games lately, the "enhanced CPU" is nothing more than a slight overclock which even leads to more and more games lately performing worse on the X1X than on the Pro, because this CPU has to deal with higher amounts of data.

That's what a little money can do sometimes, you get what I mean.

Errorist76 said:
flashfire926 said:

I know what you mean and you're basically right, but more often lately they just seemed to repeat MS's PR because even they simply did't know it better. They were praising the "new enhanced CPU" on high levels because that's the info MS was giving them. They let themselves being used by the MS marketing machinery.

Now that reality kicks in and, as can be seen with many games lately, the "enhanced CPU" is nothing more than a slight overclock which even leads to more and more games lately performing worse on the X1X than on the Pro, because this CPU has to deal with higher amounts of data.

I disagree. if that were the case, they would try to bill every X1X version as better. but they also acknowledge the cons. such as fallout 4 having better framerate on pro, and Skyrim having a slightly worse resolution than pro. they still fully like the pro themselves.

Bet with Intrinsic:

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

I disagree. if that were the case, they would try to bill every X1X version as better. but they also acknowledge the cons. such as fallout 4 having better framerate on pro, and Skyrim having a slightly worse resolution than pro. they still fully like the pro themselves.

I'm not saying their biased. Just that some content recently, like these Microsoft promotion specials (like this video!), is obviously Microsoft sponsored content.....not the comparison reviews obviously!

Chrizum said:
drkohler said:

Backward compatibility is neither a porting nor an emulation operation.

Anyone with enough knowledge about microprocesors roughly knows how it is done, and it has been explained already, long before DF figured out that they should write an article about it (an article which doesn't really tell us anything not already known).

And don't ask me to write an article about it,  I'm way too lazy around these times.

This is a bad post, and you should feel bad.

Maybe it is, and I don't feel bad. But the information is available for everyone to look after, if really interested.

For those who want a starting point, google "Static binary translation". From that point on, it gets more difficult because of multicore architecture, but it also gets easier as self-modifying code is forbidden in consoles - a major obstacle in PC code. It also helps that MS owns all the OS and library sources which makes it possible to write and constantly refine a crossassembler that probably does 99% of the work.

drkohler said:
Chrizum said:

This is a bad post, and you should feel bad.

Maybe it is, and I don't feel bad. But the information is available for everyone to look after, if really interested.

For those who want a starting point, google "Static binary translation". From that point on, it gets more difficult because of multicore architecture, but it also gets easier as self-modifying code is forbidden in consoles - a major obstacle in PC code. It also helps that MS owns all the OS and library sources which makes it possible to write and constantly refine a crossassembler that probably does 99% of the work.

And that needs to redownload the game, severely improves graphics and just work on specific games cause of reason?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Errorist76 said:
Machiavellian said:

Not sure if you actually watched the video but its stated that the games are not recoded at all and the original game code is not touched.

DF seems to always be on some OEM payroll depending on which system they give praise to.  Either way it does seems interesting that no code has to be changed on the software end but instead tweaks are done on the emulation level for enhancements.  The other parts that interested me is that MS actually added 360 hardware silicone to the X1 arch for the purpose of BC.

Errorist76 said:
flashfire926 said:

I do not know any article from DF that praised the CPU.  If anything they have always stated its slightly speedy variant of the same chip.  In multiple articles from DF they have also stated that the CPU is usually the bottleneck in some games being able to push better performance when CPU limited.