By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - UK software sales - November 26th - December 2nd, 2017

tbone51 said:
Lawlight said:

Ni No Kuni and Persona 5 both launched at # 1. Tales of Zestria at # 8.

Anything else? Pokemon/FF top franchises

Tales of

Ni no kuni

Persona (just became big with 4G and 5)

And.........? Calling it poor numbers and if tales/Persona/Ni no kuni are the only ones as jrpgs that sell well then Xeno isnt bad. That said its also growing as a franchise, but poor numbers i suppose?

You asked me for other JRPGs and I provided you with your answers. Persona doesn’t get any advertising/commercials unlike Xenoblade. Overall, there’s not a lot of JRPGs but other than Pokemon and FF, I doubt any of the others get marketed like XC2.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

Poor numbers for a jrpg in UK? Other than FF/Pokemon what jrpg does good numbers?

Ni No Kuni and Persona 5 both launched at # 1. Tales of Zestria at # 8.

Launching at number 1 doesn't mean much without context... Nino No Kuni opening in UK was estimated around 19k. While this is better, the difference is not that big.

Persona 5 probably did better than that but I couldn't find any numbers. 

Based on FIFA 18 leaked numbers (121k all formats) and split sales % (3% for Switch). We can say all games in Top40 are over 3.6k this week (Cause Fifa Switch is not in there...)

Skyrim is right after FIFA in switch ranking, so it probably did similar numbers...

Top 3 is ps4 domination.

Not that anyone should be made to buy a game they do not want to.

However... I am literally sat here right now looking at my copies of L.A Noire, Skyrim and Doom on the Nintendo Switch and shaking my head at all the other Switch owners who have let all 3 fall out of the top 40 chart in 2/3 weeks.

ALOT of developers were probably looking at the sales of these 3 games, and if they sold good would of likely green lit games for the Switch to be released late 2018/2019 but judging by these sales I am sure alot will not bother now.

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

Anything else? Pokemon/FF top franchises

Tales of

Ni no kuni

Persona (just became big with 4G and 5)

And.........? Calling it poor numbers and if tales/Persona/Ni no kuni are the only ones as jrpgs that sell well then Xeno isnt bad. That said its also growing as a franchise, but poor numbers i suppose?

You asked me for other JRPGs and I provided you with your answers. Persona doesn’t get any advertising/commercials unlike Xenoblade. Overall, there’s not a lot of JRPGs but other than Pokemon and FF, I doubt any of the others get marketed like XC2.

Xenoblade2 had that much of a market push? Even more so than Persona5? Anyway aside from market push, your proving my point. There aren't many jrpgs to begin with that sell a whole lot outside of japan. For what its worth xenoblade 2 is ahead of many franchises in the same genre. 

I mean COD does very well in japan even if sales start off as 150k-200k fw compared to that of US/Uk/etc. Because in japan unlike the rotw its not as big of a genre like everywhere else

GribbleGrunger said:
Playstation_awaiter said:
As expected Xbox x hasn’t changed anything

And it's less than a month. I original said let's wait for 3 months to see how the dust settles and I also added that if it's only a month before it returns to normal, MS are in big trouble. They're in big trouble. 

The X seems to be doing very well in the US still, though it has dropped off a bit faster than I expected in the UK. It's interesting to see the two territories diverging moreso than they normally do, with the US seeming to display more demand for the X and definitely showing more demand for the Switch. 

Ariakon said:

The X seems to be doing very well in the US still, though it has dropped off a bit faster than I expected in the UK. It's interesting to see the two territories diverging moreso than they normally do, with the US seeming to display more demand for the X and definitely showing more demand for the Switch. 

No, man, it's not good. I always suspected that the XB1X would be sold mainly to existing XB1 owners, largely because the XB1 has no exclusives (sorry, but it's true). My 1 to 3 month speculation was based entirely on that fact. In my eyes it was a tester to see how many 'loyal' XB1 fans there were and from the results it's less than great. Switch and Playstation are a success because of loyalty and exclusives. MS are not competing in either categories. 

The PS5 Exists. 

KeithC1990 said:
Not that anyone should be made to buy a game they do not want to.

However... I am literally sat here right now looking at my copies of L.A Noire, Skyrim and Doom on the Nintendo Switch and shaking my head at all the other Switch owners who have let all 3 fall out of the top 40 chart in 2/3 weeks.

ALOT of developers were probably looking at the sales of these 3 games, and if they sold good would of likely green lit games for the Switch to be released late 2018/2019 but judging by these sales I am sure alot will not bother now.

Skyim has been in the top 5 of the US eShop since launch and DOOM stayed for there for about 2 weeks so its possible they did pretty decent considering the circumstances that they are all late ports/remasters on a currently small install base.

It all depends on Bethesda/Take Two expectations, are they expecting these games to sell in the millions? Unlikely.

I would guess expectations are more like 300-500k and to show potential for growth for the next batch of games.

If LA Noire, DOOM & Skyrim all sell 300-500k then Bethesda/Take Two may greenlight ports of GTAV & Fallout 4 for 2018 with expectations of 500k-1million and if those games do that than they may start releasing new games the same day as other platforms.

These type of games have had little to no exposure on Nintendo platforms in the past so they need to build a fanbase for them, they arent going to sell gangbusters right off the bat.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Lawlight said:
Vas-y said:

Do you know how many copies these games sold at release? Xenoblade Chronicles entered the UK charts at 3# and sold less than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at  #16.

XCX entered the charts at #28, not #3 - that’s for the WiiU games only.

Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii) entered at #3.