By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGS2 predicting the future!

Tagged games:

Nymeria said:
"Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of the larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever “truth” suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large."

This is what I see over and over online and recent years into real life. People don't talk to one another, algorithms create spirals of echo chambers to reinforce worldviews. All one has to see is how dramatically people answer polling differently based on what group they belong to.

Maybe my echo chamber thread the other day was made for a reason! ;)

Around the Network
m0ney said:

Too bad the game has so awkward controls and mechanics. Deus Ex predicted the future too and is mechanically sound game.

With you on this. I have tried to play it a few times and just can't get past the controls. Can't stand them, and I'm not unable to adapt to most games I've played. In fact, I can't think of another example where controls I hated kept me from enjoying a game. Loved MGS 4 though. That control revamp saved the series for me, until MGS 5 destroyed it forever.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Whoa creepy... I remember playing this back then and thinking it was total nonsense. Now it's like... totally happening.

Kerotan said:
Nymeria said:
"Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of the larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever “truth” suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large."

This is what I see over and over online and recent years into real life. People don't talk to one another, algorithms create spirals of echo chambers to reinforce worldviews. All one has to see is how dramatically people answer polling differently based on what group they belong to.

Maybe my echo chamber thread the other day was made for a reason! ;)

Ha ha nice one - sorry if I was being a dick in that thread BTW

A_C_E said:
One of my favorite games ever! What that sequence covers however can be applied, in principle, to every timeline in recorded history, nothing new really.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe as a game, yeah it is one of the few to have such commentary on the future of humanity but literature and history itself have painted the same picture that this conversation did. I guess people just pay more attention to digestible media than raw history. The only thing that has changed is the technology really. The methods are still the same.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 04 December 2017

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
m0ney said:

Too bad the game has so awkward controls and mechanics. Deus Ex predicted the future too and is mechanically sound game.

With you on this. I have tried to play it a few times and just can't get past the controls. Can't stand them, and I'm not unable to adapt to most games I've played. In fact, I can't think of another example where controls I hated kept me from enjoying a game. Loved MGS 4 though. That control revamp saved the series for me, until MGS 5 destroyed it forever.

Imagine if they remade mgs3 , mgs2 and mgs1 with those controls. Good Lord.

Paperboy_J said:
Whoa creepy... I remember playing this back then and thinking it was total nonsense. Now it's like... totally happening.

Same here. 

Still my favourite in the series. I should replay it soon; I think I might appreciate its deeper themes more than before.

It very much is relevant, interesting

Nymeria said:

The internet has not evolved humans, other way around. Humans have always been this way they just evolved the way information spreads. People used to (and still do) write letters to spread misinformation or write for newspaper columns, its literally nothing new, just a different avenue.

COKTOE said:
m0ney said:

2 has iffy controls, but 3 and Peace Walker have good controls.

Really wish they'd release all games on one collection. They kind of did on PS3 but I don't know if that MGS1 voucher still applies. I would have appreciated MGS3 so much more if I was already a Metal Gear fan