By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade 2 thoughts (no spoilers)

Since completing the main story I've wanted badly to return to this, but I have so many other games and projects to tackle right now. Hopefully, they actually serve up something decent with the DLC coming up. Items and a few quests does NOT justify a large purchase for me.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

It might actually take more time to upgrade her than it will to finish the game. I also plan to do it in full eventually, since while I did get her to the third row. I also upgraded her for about a dozen hours longer, but realized it would probably take me another 30 to max her out, and gave up - that was about 5-7 hours before I finished the game. Also, at the time, she was significantly more developed than any of my other GFs which were mainly around the second row of Affinity.

I got her fairly close to the beginning of the game as well. I believe chapter 4 during a big steaming core crystal dump on Nia.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

So sealing reinforcements is broken. I use it and the final boss still summon his stupid overpowered goons.

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

So sealing reinforcements is broken. I use it and the final boss still summon his stupid overpowered goons.

Stop worrying about reinforcements. Start the battle by putting three elemental orbs on the boss, switch to Über-Mythra halfway through your fourth combo and do a fifth combo that you can freely select thanks to Über-Mythra's ability. If you manage to pull off five orbs and instantly activate a chain attack, you can go to town with Über-Mythra in each round and should be able to deplete at least half of the boss's health bar at which point he's dead for sure.

A full elemental break can be done with only four elemental bursts, so you may shorten the above by one cycle and still come out victorious. Point is that with such a strategy the boss doesn't even get to summon reinforcements.

Über-Mythra attacks all elemental orbs at once. For your other party members, attacking a weakness guarantees a double hit to that element, so it's a given that you can reach round 2 of the chain attack. In round 2 Über-Mythra reduces all remaining orbs to 1 hit point, so you are free to do whatever with your other party members as anything will lead to an elemental burst and assures you round 3. 

I can't get 4 orbs in phase 2 before he summons robots and they murder me. I tried with three but the final boss is stupidly tanky and I can't even get 1/4 of his health down with 3 orbs.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 24 January 2018

I said it before I think but it has to be restated, Ursula is not worth it the constant gameplay interuption and taking up a merc mission slot. Even if you get her as early as possible, you most likely will not complete her mission before beating the game, so you'll be investing so much time into a tool you'll rarely use. I started on her right after I got Zeke (Ch.5/6?), didn't finish until like 50 hours after beating the game. Her mission is singlehandedly the worst thing about this game, I only completed it because I must hate myself. Would really have to question the devs if this doesn't get patched.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
RolStoppable said:

Stop worrying about reinforcements. Start the battle by putting three elemental orbs on the boss, switch to Über-Mythra halfway through your fourth combo and do a fifth combo that you can freely select thanks to Über-Mythra's ability. If you manage to pull off five orbs and instantly activate a chain attack, you can go to town with Über-Mythra in each round and should be able to deplete at least half of the boss's health bar at which point he's dead for sure.

A full elemental break can be done with only four elemental bursts, so you may shorten the above by one cycle and still come out victorious. Point is that with such a strategy the boss doesn't even get to summon reinforcements.

Über-Mythra attacks all elemental orbs at once. For your other party members, attacking a weakness guarantees a double hit to that element, so it's a given that you can reach round 2 of the chain attack. In round 2 Über-Mythra reduces all remaining orbs to 1 hit point, so you are free to do whatever with your other party members as anything will lead to an elemental burst and assures you round 3. 

I can't get 4 orbs in phase 2 before he summons robots and they murder me. I tried with three but the final boss is stupidly tanky and I can't even get 1/4 of his health down with 3 orbs.

You also didn't address that the seal reinforcements mechanic is blatantly broken.

Seals are replaced each combo.  So if you want his reinforcements sealed, make sure the *last* one you did is a dark orb.  Found this out the hard way when I sealed Blowdown on a boss only to get blown down later because I swapped it out for Seal Self Destruct.  I suppose it's necessary or the game would get piss easy.  

How is your Mythra affinity chart?  She has an ability that adds recharge to an art if it crits.  If that is leveled up at all, see if you can boost your crit rate.  Also, try bag items that passively refill your arts.  If you can get that going well, you can charge her specials fast.  This can get you a Light and Water orb easily.  Also makes potentially getting a fire orb easy since you can swap from Pyra to Mythra free of charge at any time so use Mythra to build your special, Pyra to fire it off.  So you can get a Steam Explosion going regardless of who started it.  And then for the fourth orb, you can get Diamond Mist either by doing a fire with Pyra, water with some other blade, and then either Poppi QTpi (if you are using Tora and have her unlocked) or just whip out Pneuma (ascended Mythra/Pyra) and get it that way. 

And Mythra's ability makes it easy to charge your special in general so you can use her to charge the special then switch to the blade whose element you need. 

Also, always remember Pneuma when pulled out has a III Special ready to go.  So if you have 3 orbs, just get to level 2 on your blade combo and whip out Pneuma to finish it with an orb you don't have.  You can pick any route to take after all.  And as soon as you get that 4 orb, go for a chain attack.  

RolStoppable said:
curl-6 said:

Which makes me wonder how messed up your party is, because the robots he summons aren't particularly powerful. As usual when fighting a group of enemies, Tora as tank does wonders when he draws the attention of enemies. Nia as healer completes the standard combo that works well, especially if you have Dromarch, Vess and Nim equipped on her. The advantage of a blade like Nim is that you are free to use chain attacks in situations where you fear that someone of your party is going to die soon, because using her level 1 special during a chain attack refills everyone's health 100%, so you don't need to save the group gauge for reviving.

Mythra is incredibly fast at completing a combo, even all on your own. Once you've filled out her affinity chart, she commonly gets recharges of the XYB attack you use for an immediate additional use and that's how you build up specials fast. You can go either light/light/light with her alone or light/light/water with Dromarch's support. Taking down a robot shouldn't take that long.

Have you equipped your characters with accessories that boost stats like attack and agility by X%? Have you equipped Tora with accessories that help him to build more aggro? The accessory he comes with in the beginning of the game boosts aggro with each passing second. Also, check his XYB abilities and make sure to add the one that blocks and replenishes HP by 5-10% upon every hit he takes. Tora is a beastly tank and can absorb so many hits that Rex and Nia will be pretty safe.

On your blades you can equip similar accessories that increase your damage output, or in Poppi's case, damage reduction. Poppi can be boosted in a major way by playing Tiger! Tiger! and earning parts. In the menu where you can buy parts for Poppi, you can press Y to sell what you don't need, so gathering ether isn't that grindy. All blades can be enhanced with crystals to improve their auto attacks and at times get special perks for their weapon.

If you are level 72, you shouldn't have much problems to complete the game. But if you do have problems, you should go over your equipment and look for improvements. Unlike in the previous Xenoblade games, the number of equipment has been greatly reduced, so it's not going to take long to fix it. What takes some time is filling out affinity charts of blades, but doing four of the five rings should be sufficient. For Mythra, doing all five provides her great benefits that I mentioned above.

Might want to spoiler this.

But yeah, I was level 70 and frankly failed to notice he summoned anything cause I was easily able to keep the healing up with Nia and Tora and Morag were setup well enough to easily tank them+the boss :P

RolStoppable said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:
I said it before I think but it has to be restated, Ursula is not worth it the constant gameplay interuption and taking up a merc mission slot. Even if you get her as early as possible, you most likely will not complete her mission before beating the game, so you'll be investing so much time into a tool you'll rarely use. I started on her right after I got Zeke (Ch.5/6?), didn't finish until like 50 hours after beating the game. Her mission is singlehandedly the worst thing about this game, I only completed it because I must hate myself. Would really have to question the devs if this doesn't get patched.

I got Ursula on my second file early on (15 hours of playtime; didn't get her on my first playthrough) and completed her sidequest in 35 hours. The sad thing is that this isn't the worst thing about the game because she is bearable if she is among the first rare blades you draw.

The worst thing is that the draw rate for rare blades becomes unbearable once you miss only five of them. You can spend dozens of core crystals without getting anything while the game trolls you with tips like "the more you resonate, the better your chances at a rare blade." In reality, the more rare blades you have, the lower your chances get.

I am missing three rare blades at this point and it's a damn lottery. It messes up completion so hard because it postpones building trust with blades. I do not even know if I'll be lucky enough to get all of the missing blades. Either they patch this and make it reasonable or they implement a new game+ that allows you to carry over all unlocked blades including their affinity charts while resetting the odds of drawing rare blades.

The blade lottery is lame aswell no mistake, but wasn't too big of a problem for me as I don't need to get all the rare blades since I'm not gonna use them all anyway and I don't have to constantly interrupt gameplay to do it, just every so often after stockpiling a bunch of crystals. Plus I use Tora who doesn't have to deal with that nonsense, though he has his own obnoxious grind.

Ah, so only the last seal counts; my bad, I thought they stacked.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice guys! Finally beat the game. 

Will get back to you all with my final impressions once I've watched the ending and my coffee-spiked heartrate drops below 120. :P

RolStoppable said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

The blade lottery is lame aswell no mistake, but wasn't too big of a problem for me as I don't need to get all the rare blades since I'm not gonna use them all anyway and I don't have to constantly interrupt gameplay to do it, just every so often after stockpiling a bunch of crystals. Plus I use Tora who doesn't have to deal with that nonsense, though he has his own obnoxious grind.

With that logic Ursula isn't a problem either. You have 15 active blades and there are 38 rare blades; forego the use of any blade you don't like.

That wasn't logic, that's my experience. I'm not arguing what the worst thing in the game is, that's completely personal of course.