By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Ending of Games #1 - Zelda BotW

Mnementh said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:
I could use a lot of words to describe BotW. "Incomplete" would not be one of them. I spent 90 hours with the game and probably could have doubled that.

BotW is more about the journey and less about the destination.

90 hours? You haven't played BOTW then, this time never is enough.

Agreed  have close to 300 hrs now and I haven't even done all the shrines and divine beast

Around the Network

I didn't like the game itself at all, and story was indeed one of the weak parts, though that's never really been the forefront of Zelda (except maybe in Skyward Sword I guess?)

I don't think endings in Zelda tend to be that impactful for the most part, but I probably remember the endings to all the other Zeldas I played more than the one to BotW. Not sure if that reflects on the ending itself or my personal feelings about the game.

Nah, the ending was good, it was fighting ganon itself that was a little poor. The ending was an NES ending. "A Winner Is You" kinda thing. If it ended in culminating romance people wouldve just criticized it for making Zelda an "object for males to win"

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

SvennoJ said:

I don't remember the ending, only the last boss fight, which was pretty but about as challenging as chopping down a tree. In the end it didn't feel like an epic struggle, more like janitorial duties to clean up the left overs from some power struggle nobody really cared about anymore.

That's simply the pitfall of open world RPGs, no urgency, no change, main quest doesn't feel much different from an elaborate side quest, usually overpowered by the time you get to it.

The real ending is the reward of looking back on my journey through the game, realizing how much I've grown at using the game mechanics to my advantage and how I went from getting repeatedly one hit killed by a vanilla Lynel to taking on 2 silver maned ones at the same time.

This is something games need to work on in the future, especially as technology develops.  I remember "beating" Skyrim and still randomly getting attacked by dragons.  What the heck?  Wasn't that a big part of what I was trying to stop?  The Civil War questline felt a LOT more meaningful, as it represented real change to cities and forts.  

Fallout 4 was a mild improvement in that, with checkpoints of the winning side appearing around the map, but there needs to be more of a visible impact.  On the other hand, I build a thriving network of settlements while I was supposed to worried about my kid, so clearly that game failed at the "creating urgency" part.  Thank god for alternate start mods.

Speaking of alternate start mods, I've found them to be my favorite way to play and I hope developers take a look at their popularity.  

Agree with others here who say this game is not about the ending, but it certainly was a let down. I thought the "true" ending (beat all divine beasts and/or recover all memories, not sure which) was just passable. The..."not true" ending was disappointing.

This is partially the cost of doing a non-linear game, there won't be a big in-depth story, but it seems like there were missed opportunities here. I'd like to see the so-called "true ending" as the regular ending and then the new "good" ending could show the progress made a year later at Hyrule Castle Town or something like that. I don't need anything complex.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
SvennoJ said:

I don't remember the ending, only the last boss fight, which was pretty but about as challenging as chopping down a tree. In the end it didn't feel like an epic struggle, more like janitorial duties to clean up the left overs from some power struggle nobody really cared about anymore.

That's simply the pitfall of open world RPGs, no urgency, no change, main quest doesn't feel much different from an elaborate side quest, usually overpowered by the time you get to it.

The real ending is the reward of looking back on my journey through the game, realizing how much I've grown at using the game mechanics to my advantage and how I went from getting repeatedly one hit killed by a vanilla Lynel to taking on 2 silver maned ones at the same time.

This is something games need to work on in the future, especially as technology develops.  I remember "beating" Skyrim and still randomly getting attacked by dragons.  What the heck?  Wasn't that a big part of what I was trying to stop?  The Civil War questline felt a LOT more meaningful, as it represented real change to cities and forts.  

Fallout 4 was a mild improvement in that, with checkpoints of the winning side appearing around the map, but there needs to be more of a visible impact.  On the other hand, I build a thriving network of settlements while I was supposed to worried about my kid, so clearly that game failed at the "creating urgency" part.  Thank god for alternate start mods.

Speaking of alternate start mods, I've found them to be my favorite way to play and I hope developers take a look at their popularity.  

Yeah Skyrim isn't any better when it comes to the main story. I'm playing it again now in VR and really, the dragons are the weakest enemies in the game. A bandit chief has an easier time killing me than a bloody dragon. An aprentice fire mage is more dangerous. Maybe it's cause they're so easy to hit with the bow which is quite overpowered in VR (shoot as fast as you physically can)

As far as urgency, since Helgen, not a single threat from dragons since, now already a couple months in game time later. The war has no urgency either of course, nothing has. Everyone waits patiently on me to find a moment in my busy schedule of raiding the many underground places.

At least in Zelda the war was already going on for hundred years (or what was it) so it makes sense people kinda learned to live with it. Rescue Zelda at your leisure, a few months longer won't matter :)

My biggest beef, actually my only beef, with this amazing game is the poor choice on the design of the dungeons and how you get to them. Why couldn’t they be like in the very first LoZ, where they would be hidden somewhere in the world and I would just find them without having to talk to anyone and have to go through some boring tasks?
I really do hope they fix that.

Spoiler
Not as great as OoT, but still great.
Best princess Zelda too (tied with the Goddesses Zelda from SS).

She is so powerful, enough to hold the entire Triforce. And the last sentence..."Do you really remember me?" 😭

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I actually thought the ending wasn't that bad (Though it still lacked the impact that the endings from previous games had).

What really bothered me though is that they didn't put in a proper staff roll theme like every single 3D Zelda until now had. Instead they just reused the music from throughout the game and it really cheapened out the experience.

Last edited by Vini256 - on 02 December 2017

*This could include spoilers*

I feel the opposite in that the ending (entering the castle until the credits end) is the only part of the game that really feels like Zelda. I'm not saying that feeling different is necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly didn't feel like OOT or MM to me until that ending and FINALLY... finally... the fucking theme plays.