By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Donald Trump: How Do You Feel about Him Now? (Poll)

Last November,

I supported him and I still do - Americas 91 15.77%

I supported him and I now don't - Americas 16 2.77%

I supported him and I still do - Europe 37 6.41%

I supported him and I now don't - Europe 7 1.21%

I supported him and I still do - Asia 6 1.04%

I supported him and I now don't - Asia 1 0.17%

I supported him and I still do - RoW 15 2.60%

I supported him and I now don't - RoW 2 0.35%

I didn't support him and still don't. 373 64.64%

I didn't support him and now do. 29 5.03%

Total:577
Final-Fan said:
bdbdbd said:

Formally so - but this is not what I mean. The name of the country has plural and it refers to multiple states on a certain geographic location that are united, this is what makes it different than the Finnish example. It is very similar to European Union, that share the name of the continent where the union is at.

Or, one way to put it: people of United States of America are the people of the states that are united in America. 

But I take issue with the implied claim of ambiguity as a practical matter.  It's pointlessly vague to use "America" to mean either North or South America; I have not heard "America" used to mean both N. and S., A.K.A. "the Americas", and you have not provided an example of this usage; and the usage you cite of "America" meaning "the United States and Canada, but not Mexico" is just flat-out wrong

The only meanings of "America" that seem reasonable to me are "the United States of America" and "the Americas", and I've never heard it used to mean the latter. 

To put it another way:  the people of the United Mexican States are the people of the states that are united in Mexico.  By this logic, if you accept the name "the United States of America" as legitimate, then ipso facto the land the United States of America occupies is "America", and thus you can call Americans Americans as easily as you call Mexicans Mexicans. 

That is how it is politically usually referred. Just like "first world countries" or "third world countries" have the meaning how they were sided politically. Maybe they do it differently in Americas.

Actually, United Mexican States looks like more of a refence to Mexican people. Just like Russian Federation is a reference to it's people (rus).

In any case, when you talk about Mexicans, I take it as you talk about the people of the country, and not the inhabitants of it's capital. You likely refer the people of the country,  because this is a common nominator for a larger group of people, just like America. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
bdbdbd said:

No, there's no continent called america, just like there's no country called america. "America" is a little unspecific term, and it's meaning depends a lot of the context.

Most often you see "America" refer to USA and Canada. This is the typical political reference. On a larger scale, when you count in Mexico (and maybe Central America), it's usually referred North-America. South-America is referred as South-America. Americas you see referred "Americas", when you talk about both Americas, or sometimes "America", when it's either America in question, but not both.

Individual countries you see being referred by their names: Canada is Canada, USA is USA, Mexico is Mexico, Cuba is Cuba, Brazil is Brazil, and so on.

That must be specific to Finland or Scandinavia.  "America" is typically a reference to just the US on this side of the pond.  Again, "American" is the officially recognized demonym for US inhabitants by all world governments and state agencies.   Resident of Canada are Canadian.  Residents of Mexico are Mexican. Residents of the United States are American. 

Umm, this wasn't really about the people, but rather how the countries are referred. But I think you do have a point, as this might relate to how the countries names are translated to different languages, aswell as historical reasons of stories how "someones grand uncle moved to America", which is basically anywhere in Americas. 

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

SpokenTruth said:
bdbdbd said:

Umm, this wasn't really about the people, but rather how the countries are referred. But I think you do have a point, as this might relate to how the countries names are translated to different languages, aswell as historical reasons of stories how "someones grand uncle moved to America", which is basically anywhere in Americas. 

Very likely the case. However, Canadians, Mexicans and many other nations often refer to the US as America.  Or at least it is interchangeable with US or USA.

Better stated, if you asked anyone around the world if they wanted to visit America, would they assume you meant anywhere in NA/SA or just the United States? Chances are extremely high they will pick the latter.

I think that's partially because of national identity, when the Canadian and Mexican want's to separate themselves from the USAn's.

Technically I do too use term "Europe" when talking non-specified countries in continental Europe, which is just as incorrect use of the term, as I've said "America" is.

Well, they likely think USA first. Although, I believe Toronto, Vancouver, Chihuahua and Puebla, along with Caribbean are in the United States for most of these people.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

He's a master of leftists disaster.  A comment supposedly from him can leave an entire political spectrum losing it shit for days.

A genius, sent to destroy them one tweet one comment at a time.  And its working wonderfully.  

no freaking way it's all just coincidence or luck, it all has to be pre planned.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW7k6A8G7UE&t=93s

wings said:

He's a master of leftists disaster.  A comment supposedly from him can leave an entire political spectrum losing it shit for days.

A genius, sent to destroy them one tweet one comment at a time.  And its working wonderfully.  

no freaking way it's all just coincidence or luck, it all has to be pre planned.  

„It’s working wonderfully“

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I guess that’s the reason his popularity is at an all-time low, even in they Republican party.

Around the Network
Errorist76 said:
wings said:

„It’s working wonderfully“

Whatever makes you sleep at night.

I guess that’s the reason his popularity is at an all-time low, even in they Republican party.

When was it high ? maybe when most of the party did their best to get him to lose the nomination ehh.  

This must be happening in one of those Shithole countries Trump was talking about...

Land of the Free, they say.

Last edited by CartBlanche - on 16 January 2018

CartBlanche said:

This must be happening in one of those Shithole countries Trump was talking about...

Land of the Free, they say.

Orange County..how fitting...is that in some way related to the orange man-child?! Is he owning the big building appearing at one point in the background?!

bdbdbd said:
Final-Fan said:

But I take issue with the implied claim of ambiguity as a practical matter.  It's pointlessly vague to use "America" to mean either North or South America; I have not heard "America" used to mean both N. and S., A.K.A. "the Americas", and you have not provided an example of this usage; and the usage you cite of "America" meaning "the United States and Canada, but not Mexico" is just flat-out wrong

The only meanings of "America" that seem reasonable to me are "the United States of America" and "the Americas", and I've never heard it used to mean the latter. 

To put it another way:  the people of the United Mexican States are the people of the states that are united in Mexico.  By this logic, if you accept the name "the United States of America" as legitimate, then ipso facto the land the United States of America occupies is "America", and thus you can call Americans Americans as easily as you call Mexicans Mexicans. 

That is how it is politically usually referred. Just like "first world countries" or "third world countries" have the meaning how they were sided politically. Maybe they do it differently in Americas.

Actually, United Mexican States looks like more of a refence to Mexican people. Just like Russian Federation is a reference to it's people (rus).

In any case, when you talk about Mexicans, I take it as you talk about the people of the country, and not the inhabitants of it's capital. You likely refer the people of the country,  because this is a common nominator for a larger group of people, just like America. 

If by "it" you mean US+Canada=America, I suspect that may be a matter of people just being ignorant about what is half a world away.  I think most Canadians would interpret being called "American" as that the speaker was mentally annexing them into the United States, and very possibly be a bit offended.  Speaking as someone from the United States, we draw a sharp distinction between "America" (USA) and "the Americas" (North & South America combined).  And I would be extremely surprised to find that someone from, say, Brazil had classified himself as being "from America".  Can you find an example of this?

[edit:  Wikipedia says:  "In some countries of the world (including France, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Romania, Greece, and the countries of Latin America), America is considered a continent encompassing the North America and South America subcontinents, as well as Central America."  However, this is in their own languages and not in English, which most definitely considers North and South America to be two continents, not just two parts of a single continent (as if speaking of "the North" and "the South" in the American Civil War). 

[There is an epic discussion I found in Wikipedia's Style Manual talk section, with a TL;DR at the end.] 

Last edited by Final-Fan - on 16 January 2018

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

About the shutdown

Don't think he cares about the shutdown this time tho.