By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Estimated Canalys PSVR, Vive and Oculus Q3 shipments

https://www.canalys.com/newsroom/media-alert-virtual-reality-headset-shipments-top-1-million-first-time

"Sony took the lead, shipping more than 490,000 PlayStation VR (PS VR) sets in Q3. It was followed by Oculus, which shipped 210,000 of its Rift headsets. HTC took third place, shipping 160,000 Vive VR units. Collectively, Sony, Oculus and HTC made up 86% of the total market in Q3 2017."

This doesn't include mobile vr sales that are obviously much bigger.

Anyway Sony dominating the high end market.

Around the Network

I've been saying this forever, and no one believed me.

Very excited about the possibilities VR will provide going further.

Q4 shipments for psvr will be a lot higher then the 500k they shipped for Q3.

There are more AAA titles on the way like Ace Combat 7 but hopefully the good sales now convince more publishers to support it in 2018 and 2019.

A permanent cut to $200 next year would really help too.

I believe that VR can be the future of gaming. The manufacturers of the VR-Devices need to solve basically two issues before it can become mainstream:
- Dizziness
- Affordable devices

Around the Network
XD84 said:
I believe that VR can be the future of gaming. The manufacturers of the VR-Devices need to solve basically two issues before it can become mainstream:
- Dizziness
- Affordable devices

I don't know how they would ever alleviate that though, I myself can get pretty bad motion sickness.

Changed the title to reflect the fact that these numbers are estimations from an analyst firm, not actual sales data.

VGPolyglot said:
XD84 said:
- Dizziness
- Affordable devices

I don't know how they would ever alleviate that though, I myself can get pretty bad motion sickness.

Well that is the challenge they need to figure out and I am quite certain that they will on some point. Yet as long many people feel sick playing VR games it cant become a mainstream device but potential for VR is enormous.

Can someone tell me who else has a VR headset? Because if Sony, Oculus and HTC were the 86% of the market and mobile VR is not included, who took the other 14%?

In any case, good numbers, specially given their prices.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

PSVR making up about half all high end VR headset sales. Impressive.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon