By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS4 Beat Previous Black Friday Weeks Except 2013 (UK)

celador said:
bananaking21 said:

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/black-friday-uk-ps4-enjoys-most-successful-uk-week-33370047/?page=1

it sold 142k in 2016 and 139k in 2015. this just shows how meaningless and useless VGC "data" is. 

so PS4 sold 142k last year, and Xbox One sold 50k less, putting it at 92k. Which puts sales last year at 234k. Up 3% this year, so 240k this year for the two combined.

So PS4 > 142k, Xbox One <100k

so at best for X1 it's practically the same as last year, though it may be worse. that's two BF's in a row now where Xbox has been heavily beaten in the UK

Which means that most sales of XBX Launch week were mainly upgrades rather than new sales.....

Around the Network
GribbleGrunger said:
DonFerrari said:

errrrr please pick the USA official calendar and BF isn't a national holiday.

And Every single country existed in November 24th...

But sure, if USA sales on the 24th is the only thing you want to discuss, why are you on this thread?

I fail to see how he can even post that considering the thread he's in. I think Black Friday has been a thing in the UK for nearly three years now, and isn't it also in Germany now? I seem to recall at least one other European country having Black Friday. How the hell does he think the consoles got a huge boost? Coincidence? 

I live in UK and germany and can confirm both theses countries do black friday and cyber monday

GribbleGrunger said:
X1Gates said:

According to who? Black friday is a american holiday and thus the american sales of consoles is what really matters when you look at this particular day. 

According to reality and facts. Did you even look at the thread you are in?

That's right, it is an american holiday, but i'm from italy and i must say that this year the advertisment for black friday and cyber monday was never such strong like this year, so i really expect amazing numbers from europe especially for ps4 as europe is sony's country;)

GribbleGrunger said:
DonFerrari said:

From the years I have been in VGC I can tell that most of Europe have BF promotions (and boosts), Brazil also have it, and from what I remember a lot of Latin American countries do as well.

Well since X1X didn't beat PS4 on BF in these countries they are irrelevant you know....

Yes but it wasn't officially known as Black Friday until recently from my recollection. I remember discussing it a couple of years ago. It's now advertised as Black Friday here in the UK. 

About the naming I don't know where it started over there (here there have been 3 or 4 years), but at least in most European countries from what VGC goers comment BF and CM are being used straight.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

About the naming I don't know where it started over there (here there have been 3 or 4 years), but at least in most European countries from what VGC goers comment BF and CM are being used straight.

Oh, right. Thanks. I have a feeling Sony will win Black Friday by a country mile then. I wouldn't be surprised to see an official statement from Sony. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
NATO said:
I bought a snowboard in the black friday sales here in japan so...

Don't really know what that's got to do with the topic but... have fun snowboarding!

I believe is at X1Gates saying BF is exclusive to USA.

GribbleGrunger said:
DonFerrari said:

Oh, right. Thanks. I have a feeling Sony will win Black Friday by a country mile then. I wouldn't be surprised to see an official statement from Sony. 

I would say it may come tomorrow to have both BF and CM covered... also PSX we shall have updates on sales.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Very good black Friday deals in the UK for everything. Maybe they just don't have them anywhere near bridges some people live under. (Jk.)

PSVR looks like it has also sold very well too, now it is at a price people will gamble on. Pro with 3 or 4 games for £299 has seen a lot of people I know trading up. Switch also looks to be selling out, especially the Mario bundle.

Black Friday has been a thing for a few years in the UK, but it looks like most places have changed it from a weekends sales to 2 weeks sales, to stop stampedes. You must never watch TV to not see all the black Friday sales adverts...

DonFerrari said:

I would say it may come tomorrow to have both BF and CM covered... also PSX we shall have updates on sales.

When is PSX by the way?

The PS5 Exists. 

X1Gates said:
GribbleGrunger said:

I thought people would have jumped all over this. You have to remember that when assessing which console sold better on Black Friday that the UK (and I think Germany) are also now part of that assessment. 

According to who? Black friday is a american holiday and thus the american sales of consoles is what really matters when you look at this particular day. 

Except Black Friday isn't a holiday and any country can adopt the practice. But, you know, whatever. I doubt you'd shrug off info about other countries if a certain Microsoft console was winning. I know they're heavy, but you should get someone to help you move those goalposts. 

GribbleGrunger said:
DonFerrari said:

When is PSX by the way?

Seems like 2 weeks away. Dec 9-10

RJ_Sizzle said:
X1Gates said:

Except Black Friday isn't a holiday and any country can adopt the practice. But, you know, whatever. I doubt you'd shrug off info about other countries if a certain Microsoft console was winning. I know they're heavy, but you should get someone to help you move those goalposts. 

Moving then all by himself must be tiring.