By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - NPD Analyst Expects Over 600,000 Xbox One X Sold this Year; PS4, Xbox One, Switch Could All Win November

NPD, Who wins?

Switch! 43 31.62%

Xbox! 20 14.71%

Playstation! 66 48.53%

Ouya! 7 5.15%

Total:136
thismeintiel said:
Insidb said:

That Adobe poll is also extremely suspect: somehow, on 11/22, while PS4 was $199 and literally selling out, they had PSVR in the top 5 with PS4 nowhere to be found.

That makes no sense at all.

Exactly what I was thinking.  And 4,500 retailer websites?  They must be talking WW, or pulling a number out of their ass, cause the US doesn't have 4,500 retailers with online websites.

ironmanDX said:

Hmm, yeah. My memory did fail me there. I blame it on your Hulk Kazogan avy. I fear that leg drop.

I didn't say or imply all. Surely though, if the pro was constrained and had little hype the "many" and "disgruntled" xbox one owners would have been able to hit a higher target then 600k especially so if Microsoft did in fact drum up the xbox one x as the next revolution in gaming? Surely? Or was it just a upgraded xbox one just like they said it was?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. They're both more expansive upgrades of existing hardware using the same software, play the same games and use the same accessories as their respective predecessors. If we can't compare them with each other then where does it end? Not comparing xbox one and ps4 with the Switch because it's a hybrid? Hell no. (Not that you're saying that but it does set precedence) The comparison is valid.

The leg drop is mighty from Kaz.

And I never said they couldn't be compared.  I just said it isn't exactly apples to apples.  Context is key.  I mean, one of the biggest things really is if Sony had some way of judging demand better, their numbers could have easily been quite a bit higher.

I have no idea who they are or how they aggregate; if it's by leader on platform (averaging percentages), then the dataset is shot.

It wouldn't be so questionable, if not for that glaring absurdity on the day that the PS4 climbed to #1 on Amazon.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
thismeintiel said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  And 4,500 retailer websites?  They must be talking WW, or pulling a number out of their ass, cause the US doesn't have 4,500 retailers with online websites.

I have no idea who they are or how they aggregate; if it's by leader on platform (averaging percentages), then the dataset is shot.

It wouldn't be so questionable, if not for that glaring absurdity on the day that the PS4 climbed to #1 on Amazon.

And every other major website.  Walmart, Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.  You name it, the PS4 was on top for those first few days.

600k for the year seems good. The Pro sold 550k its first month though. I think this means that he is predicting the Pro to sell better when aligned. For the first month I will say 350k-400k.

I see folks arguing about the Switch and Black Friday numbers. Consider the following:

The Xbox One S was the high seller on Black Friday at the biggest online retailers hands down.
The PS4 was the highest brick and mortar store hands down easily winning GameStop
I am not sure how Adobe's numbers work, but they fail at Amazon and they don't account for retail.
Ask yourself what sells more on Black Friday: Online or Retail?
This in no way discounts the Switch or its ability to win which should be self evident by now, I am merely challenging you guys to be more analytical.

Well I'm curious to see how X1 console numbers look this year versus previous years.

Will X1X cause a sales boost or keep X1 performance stable?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
thismeintiel said:
Insidb said:

That Adobe poll is also extremely suspect: somehow, on 11/22, while PS4 was $199 and literally selling out, they had PSVR in the top 5 with PS4 nowhere to be found.

ironmanDX said:

Hmm, yeah. My memory did fail me there. I blame it on your Hulk Kazogan avy. I fear that leg drop.

I didn't say or imply all. Surely though, if the pro was constrained and had little hype the "many" and "disgruntled" xbox one owners would have been able to hit a higher target then 600k especially so if Microsoft did in fact drum up the xbox one x as the next revolution in gaming? Surely? Or was it just a upgraded xbox one just like they said it was?

You can't have your cake and eat it too. They're both more expansive upgrades of existing hardware using the same software, play the same games and use the same accessories as their respective predecessors. If we can't compare them with each other then where does it end? Not comparing xbox one and ps4 with the Switch because it's a hybrid? Hell no. (Not that you're saying that but it does set precedence) The comparison is valid.

And I never said they couldn't be compared.  I just said it isn't exactly apples to apples.  Context is key.  I mean, one of the biggest things really is if Sony had some way of judging demand better, their numbers could have easily been quite a bit higher.

Online exclusive retailers probably counts in to that amount.

CosmicSex said:
600k for the year seems good. The Pro sold 550k its first month though. I think this means that he is predicting the Pro to sell better when aligned. For the first month I will say 350k-400k.

I'm not sure where ur getting that but the pro did less than 500k in US November 2016 + December 2016 combined. This analysit says he expects the x to blow past 600k in the same time span in The US.

Halo MCC will sell 5+ million copies(including digital)

halo 5 will sell 10 million copies(including digital)

x1 will pass ps4 in USA, and UK.

Good news for X1X, but I'm still curious about the sustainability of the sales after launch.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

ironmanDX said:
Kerozinn said:
Mentioning the Switch and Xbox one X in a report and completely leaving out any mention of the "everywhere sold out ps4 slim" ..man call it whatever you want really. Its pretty obvious what is going on.

resetera same shit as gaf no matter how often they rename themselves. just take a peek into the NPD thread...

oh yeah 600k xbox one x..congratulations but i dont put much value into any analysts opinion especially not if he is active in certain forums.

So.. Exact same writer and website in dualshockers both posted on the same day but this is the article that you decide to question? The NPD analyst making a fair prediction about all 3 companies chances of winning?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8637691

Just.... Wow.

Well I would say that when someone say no one can question narrative on the reports but he is part of console war he isn't really neutral.

Qwark said:
Barkley said:

That's a really low estimate. Adding up weekly sales for week ending 12th november to 31st december in the US total 2.55m, 20% of which is 510k, so that's already a fair bit above 450k.

Now as you say, you have to take launch into account so the ratio will be higher then the 20% that was given in June 2017. Also an expensive premium console may fair better in the USA compared to other markets, so above the 20% global ratio.

Good point, but I thought the pro had severe supply issues in the US that lasted pretty long. That also explains why the Xone X is already above PS4pro on amazon yearly rankings. However in Europe stock issues where almost never a problem for the PS4 pro and I would think there is also a big market for premium consoles here. But for now I can only count the Japanese ratio for Slim/Pro and that is a bit north of 20%. But my estimate might be a bit low.

PS4Pro stock issues (even if small) was like 6 month duration... And when I was in USA on April I could only find a single PS4Pro available to sell, and it was refurbished at only 50USD discount.

ironmanDX said:
thismeintiel said:
Pro to X isn't exactly an apples to apples.

First of all, the Pro announcement/launch was much more low key than the X. It was advertised as an unnecessary item, that was mainly a nice upgrade for the more avid gamer, while the X was basically marketed as a new generation in gaming. Second, the Pro was launched just a few weeks after its announcement, while the X had more than an entire year to build up hype, and 3 months worth of preorders. Third, many felt they didn't need to jump to the Pro, as they were still getting 1080p in most of their games. Many XBO gamers were tired of settling for 720p-900p on a lot of their games, so the jump to X was highly sought.

Finally, and most importantly, Sony completely underestimated the demand for the Pro. It was in and out of stock for the last bit of '16 and the beginning of '17. MS had quite a bit more time to gauge demand and has not had the same stock issues that the Pro did.

They both were announced at E3. If one was low key, so then must be the other. The X was announced as being part of the xbox one family. All games and accessories were compatible with the both X and S... So.. No. It was marketed as a premium xbox one with a premium price. It did have more time to drum up some hype though.

If many XBO gamers are tired of 720p-900p then the figures should be way higher than 600k. A mere 120k more than a supply constrained pro during the busiest shopping period of the year? No chance.

Sorry man, but X1X had a lot more marketing and time for preorders... but anyway, 600k for launch window is good. Question is for how long it will be able to trail ahead of PS4Pro USA or WW.

Storeman67 said:

In the UK One X sales are already grinding to a halt. It's been out of Amazon's top 100 for 2 weeks and has received its first price cut. It's difficult to see a path forward without major discounts or bundles. The past week Pro has been trending well above One X, no doubt due to a £100+ price difference and bundled games.

That would be a very bad new.

VideoGameAccountant said:

Going to go out on a limb here and say it's Switch. 

http://twinfinite.net/2017/11/switch-best-selling-black-friday/

Adobe Digital has analyzed “4,500 retail websites” in order to find out what the top five best-selling products were for Black Friday via online stores. The only video game item to enter the top five – at number one, no less – was the Nintendo Switch.

There is also the Business Insider article which notes Nintendo Switch was one of the best selling products. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/nintendo-switch-popular-on-black-friday-2017-11

So I think this combined looks like Switch may be top. I will also add that Playstation had a bundle with Battlefront II and, from what I'm seeing, they aren't selling. Could hurt sales, but its hard to tell what impact it will have, if any. 

I don't smell much credibility on the claims... but sure Switch winning BF is a possible outcome. Before the week itself came I was expecting PS4, X1 and Switch to be all close together for BF and actually even the whole Nov+Dec.

thismeintiel said:
Insidb said:

ironmanDX said:

4500  online stores... may they are counting once for each state =]

Insidb said:
thismeintiel said:

If they haven't the raw number to compare it will be flawed... aggregating ranks would be quite hard work (but if they weight it right and extrapolate sales from the ranks they could have a decent prediction).

Anyway, how many months have Amazon ranking missed since the start of this gen? Once or twice?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

November's NPD is going to be very interesting... if we get numbers that is.

Signature goes here!