By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Looking into a 4K TV, any recommendations?

TruckOSaurus said:

For Christmas my husband and I have decided to offer ourselves a brand new 4K TV. Problem is, I'm not sure what to lookout for besides price and width. What brands are considered good or bad? What other options should I be asking for? Any electronics pros out there have anything to recommend?

Also is the PS4 Pro upgrade worth it once you've got a 4K TV?

My SONY XE8077 arrived and the picture quality is outstanding! Sound is OK, but then I have sound bar and bass speaker for that. With the colour corrected I feel like I'm at the cinemas. Great purchase so far and a very competitive price.

Around the Network

Okay, so... A few things... I have a PS4, and a PS4 pro. I don't care for the 4k features. I'd rather play at regular 1080p for stability.

Next, TVs normally aren't considered great because they have display lag. However, my 50 inch TV keeps up with my high speed gaming monitor to the point where it's not distracting. I have sound coming from my TV, because windows 10 only allows one sound output.

However, a few things about my tv, before i say what it is.

The resolution is of the DCI 4K TV standard, that's 4096 X 2160. It's not 16 x 9, like the other 3840 x 2160.

Those extra pixels are good for me, because the more room i have, the better for multi- tasking. However, you can manually change the screen area, but you will have black bars on the side. The way i see it, having black bars on the side is better than having less screen area, because it's there when you need it.

I can also do wide screen gaming on this 4k tv, which puts the bars on the top and bottom. When i do that, the game is only going to run 60 FPS, but that's fine. it's a trade off.

Anyway, I have a 50 inch vizio M series of TVs, from 2016. The 2017 model has better colors, but increased display lag, so for gaming, I wouldn't do it.

You can't have a TV to do everything, though. I've had the TV a while. I had an E series, 43 inch, originally, and I disliked it so much, i got rid of it, and got an M series. So happy i did. I've been satisfied with this TV since i bought it.

A few complaints that are extremely petty, mind you, are that the rim of the TV isn't silver like the P series, and that apparently upscaling from 720p isn't so great... However, I personally haven't noticed anything significant. I was trying to see a difference between 720 and 1080 in my switch today on this tv, and they both looked the same.

Oh, yeah. It's a a smart tv, with no cam, or a mic! everything is either done from the included tablet remote, which is 720p, (P series comes with a 1080p tablet remote) and a regular standard remote. Vizio later mailed me a free remote that had additional features.

Before i needed the app to access certain things. Now, the new remote has buttons for all that stuff that pop right up on the TV itself.

And, I dont have mine connected with an Ethernet... I dont know why, and I've had no issues with the wifi... Well, no ethernet port, that explains it.

But, it's a smart tv without any useless features. No web browser no cam, no mic, it's great for games.

Are u and ur mate happy with your new TV TruckOSaurus?