By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Reviews - (83) Metacritic (83) Opencritic

OTBWY said: Meh. The Kotaku one was worse. He literally said that he didn't like the first one. It's literally "I don't like RPG's" the review.

I just finished reading it. At least he went into a lot of detail about why he didn't like the game. Common complaints among reviewers is that the game is too grindy, and has too many complicated systems. I can't really fault him for not liking that aspect of the game. He did include the usual "Voice acting is terrible, because I don't know anything about the Japanese patch" fallacy though. I also noticed that he didn't even finish the game, yet wrote a review anyway. So unprofessional. 

Edit: I can respect the Kotaku writer's opinion a lot more though, because he actually backed up what he said with explanations. That's all I want out of a review. Don't simply say that it's bad or good. Say why it's bad or good. That and do your research on the game. And finish the damned thing. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 02 December 2017

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
OTBWY said: Meh. The Kotaku one was worse. He literally said that he didn't like the first one. It's literally "I don't like RPG's" the review.

I just finished reading it. At least he went into a lot of detail about why he didn't like the game. Common complaints among reviewers is that the game is too grindy, and has too many complicated systems. I can't really fault him for not liking that aspect of the game. He did include the usual "Voice acting is terrible, because I don't know anything about the Japanese patch" fallacy though. I also noticed that he didn't even finish the game, yet wrote a review anyway. So unprofessional. 

Edit: I can respect the Kotaku writer's opinion a lot more though, because he actually backed up what he said with explanations. That's all I want out of a review. Don't simply say that it's bad or good. Say why it's bad or good. That and do your research on the game. And finish the damned thing. 

It's Kotaku. I don't value their opinion, because I consider them non-gamers as a whole. This review only confirmed it to me, even if he dispalye in depth how didn't understand jrpg's imo.

OTBWY said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

It's Kotaku. I don't value their opinion, because I consider them non-gamers as a whole. This review only confirmed it to me, even if he dispalye in depth how didn't understand jrpg's imo.

He did play and like other JRPGs like Persona 5. I think the Xenoblade series just rubs him the wrong way. 

Goodnightmoon said:
curl-6 said:

XCX had moments of greatness and some truly amazing highlights. In retrospect though it also had its fair share of shortcomings, which I was more forgiving of at the time cos, well, it was dark days of the Wii U and any food tastes great to a starving man.

The world of Mira with its breathtaking landscapes, numerous secrets, and believable yet alien ecology was and still is a stunning achievement and a joy to explore. Getting a skell for the first time and later taking flight were awe-inspiring moments. 

On the flip side though, I spent the whole game waiting for the story to take off and it never really did. There was also way too much tedious filler, and while the music could be great at times, it could also be awful.

That's a terrible excuse, not only makes your word less believeble from now on but also it doesn't make sense, the lack of games doesn't make you feel like a game is better, maybe if you spend years playing shitty games then it would make sense that a good game feels like a masterpiece, but WiiU, despite the lack in numbers never really lacked in quality, it had very good games, so this feels like you are just forgetting what you liked about it and changing your opinion as a consequence, don't blame the WiiU cause it has nothing to do with this and I highly doubt you have played any other better open world game this gen besides BoTW.

Wii U had like 5 games a year that were worth playing, if that. In such a starvation scenario, I was more willing to overlook the game's flaws.

Mind you, I'm not saying XCX is a bad game. It's not. It is a good game. Just not a great one. IMHO.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 03 December 2017

Just wanna say, the battle cutscenes in the game is freaking awesome! It is really well done, it's like bladeworks animation from fate/stay (for me at least), thank the devs for the event theater.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Goodnightmoon said:

That's a terrible excuse, not only makes your word less believeble from now on but also it doesn't make sense, the lack of games doesn't make you feel like a game is better, maybe if you spend years playing shitty games then it would make sense that a good game feels like a masterpiece, but WiiU, despite the lack in numbers never really lacked in quality, it had very good games, so this feels like you are just forgetting what you liked about it and changing your opinion as a consequence, don't blame the WiiU cause it has nothing to do with this and I highly doubt you have played any other better open world game this gen besides BoTW.

Wii U had like 5 games a year that were worth playing, if that. In such a starvation scenario, my standards were lower than they are now.

FUCK YOU CURL! YOU WILL FEEL HOW I WANT YOU TO FEEL! HOW CAN YOU LIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEE TO ME?!?! I TRUSTED YOU!

Mar1217 said:
Sunstrider said:
Just wanna say, the battle cutscenes in the game is freaking awesome! It is really well done, it's like bladeworks animation from fate/stay (for me at least), thank the devs for the event theater.

Well, the final cutscene of Chapter 1 was certainly orgasmic ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Oh yes! That is what I was talking about actually lol, can't wait to get home and play some more.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Ha! my prediction was spot on. (almost)

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 03 December 2017

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

This is ResetEra:

Cerebralbore101 said:
OTBWY said:

He did play and like other JRPGs like Persona 5. I think the Xenoblade series just rubs him the wrong way. 

Because Xenoblade is "problematic".