Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What's the feel on Samus Return's progress?

Junojun said:
Had this been a Switch title I think it would've sold more. I'm a huge Metroid fan but after getting the Switch I just don't see myself playing in the 3DS anymore, so I skipped it.

VAMatt said:
I had plans to pick it up. However, I realize that I just don't much care for 3DS anymore. This which is now my portable gaming device. It's tough to get into 3DS games anymore, since it is such a huge step back in terms of graphical fidelity.

Come on what's that mentality? It may be a step back in graphics from Switch but the game is great, it deserves to be played, not playing a game you want to play just cause the graphics is a shame imo

Around the Network
Junojun said:
Had this been a Switch title I think it would've sold more. I'm a huge Metroid fan but after getting the Switch I just don't see myself playing in the 3DS anymore, so I skipped it.

The franchise destiny is at stake. Nintendo makes a new game of great quality that responds to what fans have been asking for ages. And you don't buy it because... screen resolution? No. You're not a huge Metroid fan. You couldn't care less about the franchise.

Anyway...  The game being a remake of an existing title + the 3DS pretty much dying at this point + Nintendo Switch around = Sales not that great. I hope Nintendo takes all of this into consideration when they analyze the numbers of Samus Returns. The game will  get to the 500k for sure and it MIGHT hit 1million with enough time.

Last edited by Vodacixi - on 23 November 2017

zorg1000 said:
Wyrdness said:
Metroid has never been a series known for moving large numbers only SM and Prime sold above expectations the rest just eventually reach with in the 1m range.

SM only did 1.44 million, its right in line with most Metroid titles.

I think you mean the original on NES which did like 2.7 million.

Yeah got the two mixed up.

Vodacixi said:
Junojun said:

The franchise destiny is at stake. Nintendo makes a new game of great quality that responds to what fans have been asking for ages. And you don't buy it because... screen resolution? No. You're not a huge Metroid fan. You couldn't care less about the franchise.

Anyway...  The game being a remake of an existing title + the 3DS pretty much dying at this point + Nintendo Switch around = Sales not that great. I hope Nintendo takes all of this into consideration when they analyze the numbers of Samus Returns. The game will  get to the 500k for sure and it MIGHT hit 1million with enough time.

No, it's not screen resolution or grafix or anything along those lines. You made that assumption on your own as I never said anything along those lines. I always found the 3DS rather uncomfortable to play with. After playing the Switch I just cant bear myself to go back and play on the 3DS. Just because I am fan of something doesn't mean I have to go buy and automatically buy it. If we go by that reasoning then all Metroid fans should've bought Federation Force. 

Junojun said:
Vodacixi said:

No, it's not screen resolution or grafix or anything along those lines. You made that assumption on your own as I never said anything along those lines. I always found the 3DS rather uncomfortable to play with. After playing the Switch I just cant bear myself to go back and play on the 3DS. Just because I am fan of something doesn't mean I have to go buy and automatically buy it. If we go by that reasoning then all Metroid fans should've bought Federation Force. 

No, Federation Force is shit so fans shouldn't buy it to show Nintendo they don't want Metroid to transform into that, but Samus Returns is great, if fans of the franchise don't even buy the good games of a franchise, even when they are as good and true to the essence of the franchise as they have been asking for years, then maybe they don't deserve any more games of that franchise at all.

Last edited by Goodnightmoon - on 23 November 2017

Around the Network
Junojun said:
Vodacixi said:

Oh, my bad. You just won't buy it because you are not comfortable with the console itself... although you have said console and presumably played with it for quite a long time in the past. Honestly, I don't know which reason to not play a great game of a franchise that you presumably love is worse...

And the difference between Federation Force and Samus Returns is that on is a mediocre game that goes against everything that Metroid is... and the other is an excellent game that provides with pretty much everything that makes 2D Metroid great. Also, if Samus Returns flops after Federation Force disaster... we may not have another 2D Metroid in a loooooong time. If you were a "huge" Metroid fan, you would not allow that to happen for such a stupid reason.

Goodnightmoon said:
Junojun said:

No, its the opposite, Federation Force is shit so fans shouldn't buy it to show Nintendo they don't want Metroid to transform into that, but Samus Returns is great, if fans of the franchise don't even buy the good games on that franchise that give them what they want and asked then maybe they don't deserve any more games of that franchise at all.

Agreed. But Nintendo knew there was a possibility that people would move on to the Switch which might cut into this games sales. Many Metroid fans skipped on this due one to whatever reasons they had. If the franchise is at stake like someone else posted, it is also due to Nintendos own mistakes as well (Federation Force and for some Other M as well). They could've released the game for Switch and 3DS at the same time like Fire Emblem Warriors did and perhaps more people would've bought it. So this really shouldn't be a representation of people not wanting the game as there are other factors at play. I think the real test is MP4 as by that time the Switch userbase will be larger and 3DS support might've stopped. 

Vodacixi said:
Junojun said:

Oh, my bad. You just won't buy it because you are not comfortable with the console itself... although you have said console and presumably played with it for quite a long time in the past. Honestly, I don't know which reason to not play a great game of a franchise that you presumably love is worse...

And the difference between Federation Force and Samus Returns is that on is a mediocre game that goes against everything that Metroid is... and the other is an excellent game that provides with pretty much everything that makes 2D Metroid great. Also, if Samus Returns flops after Federation Force disaster... we may not have another 2D Metroid in a loooooong time. If you were a "huge" Metroid fan, you would not allow that to happen for such a stupid reason.

Well I haven't used my 3DS in about a year and half. And if I am not comfortable playing on such console why would I buy a game I know for a fact I wont be able to enjoy? It becomes a little painful after a while, so although the game might be great I wont get much enjoyment out of it. It worked for short sessions like playing Mario Kart, but after like 20 mnts I just have to put the thing down. So should I just to give my money away to Nintendo just to show support for a franchise? 

Junojun said:
Goodnightmoon said:

No, its the opposite, Federation Force is shit so fans shouldn't buy it to show Nintendo they don't want Metroid to transform into that, but Samus Returns is great, if fans of the franchise don't even buy the good games on that franchise that give them what they want and asked then maybe they don't deserve any more games of that franchise at all.

Agreed. But Nintendo knew there was a possibility that people would move on to the Switch which might cut into this games sales. Many Metroid fans skipped on this due one to whatever reasons they had. If the franchise is at stake like someone else posted, it is also due to Nintendos own mistakes as well (Federation Force and for some Other M as well). They could've released the game for Switch and 3DS at the same time like Fire Emblem Warriors did and perhaps more people would've bought it. So this really shouldn't be a representation of people not wanting the game as there are other factors at play. I think the real test is MP4 as by that time the Switch userbase will be larger and 3DS support might've stopped. 

Well they released the game when Switch was only 6 months in the market... yet suddlenly "fans" are unable to come back to a 3ds... is a bit sad honestly, I would play Metroid Prime 4 even if it was a GC exclusive, cause that's a fan does, a fan really wants to play all the good games of a franchise, to skip one great one because is releasing on a previous console when the new one is just 6 months in.... is just very hard to understand to me.

And this is not only about you, I have seen your arguments in many "huge fans" of Metoid (what they like to call themself) and I think is just fucking sad but to each their own.

It's a remake. If it was a new game, I would have bought it. Heck, I still may buy it eventually. I want Metroid Fusion 2